African Strongman ; the Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza dies suddenly of 'cardiac arrest' at 55

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Burundi's President Pierre Nkurunziza, aged 55, has died after suffering a cardiac arrest, the government says.

He was admitted to hospital on Saturday after feeling unwell, his condition improved but on Monday he had a cardiac arrest and efforts to revive him were unsuccessful, officials say.

After 15 years in power, Mr Nkurunziza was due to step down in August.

In 2015, the announcement that he would run for a third term plunged the country into chaos.

It sparked anger as some questioned the legality of a third-term bid.

There was a failed coup attempt, hundreds of people died in clashes and tens of thousands fled the country.

After a change in the constitution, he was able to run for a further term in last month's election but he decided to retire and was to be known as the "supreme guide to patriotism".

He was also due to receive a $540,000 (£440,000) retirement pay-out and a luxury villa.

1591731807032.png

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
"I hereby extend my sincere condolences to the Government and people of the Republic of Burundi. On behalf of the Citizens of the Federal Republic of Somalia and on my own behalf, we mourn the death of HE Pierre Nkurunziza. He was a great friend and ally of the Somalia," he said.

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Nkurunziza was admitted to hospital on 6 June 2020 after reportedly feeling unwell. While his condition was initially said to be improving, he went into cardiac arrest on 8 June and died at the age of 55. At the time of his death, his wife had been airlifted to Nairobi for treatment after contracting coronavirus, casting speculation into the cause of his demise

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
HUMAN RIGHTS

Journalists and human rights workers are routinely targeted in Burundi. Last week, four journalists from the domestic news website Iwacu were sentenced to two and a half years in prison after they travelled to investigate reports of unrest in the northwest of the country.

Burundi withdrew from the International Criminal Court in 2017, shut down the United Nations office on human rights last year, and expelled the representative of the World Health Organisation last month amid criticism of the government’s handling of the new coronavirus pandemic. It has carried out very few tests and held large rallies during the election period.

“As I learn of the passing of Pierre Nkurunziza, I think of the thousands of lives that his regime cut short. The families that won’t see justice,” tweeted Thierry Uwamahoro, a democracy activist and prominent government critic who lives in exile.
It was unclear exactly when Nkurunziza died at a hospital in Karuzi in central Burundi. The statement said he had watched a game of volleyball on Saturday but fell ill that night and was taken to hospital.

His health improved on Sunday and he spoke to people but “surprisingly, on morning of Monday June 8, 2020, his health suddenly deteriorated and he had a heart attack”.

Doctors provided “cardiopulmonary resuscitation” over the course of many hours but were unable to save him. The statement did not specify exactly when he died but asked people to remain calm and announced seven days of mourning.

May Allah have mercy on him for he is guaranteed jana. His boys ( AMISOM) did a marvellous job in Somalia since they set foot In the place. All the dua from Somalia will guarantee adeer jana.

RIP ADEER NKURUNZIZA

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Burundi is the 2nd largest contributor to AMISOM. Since 2007 he has sent Burundians to die in Somalia, I hope Mogadishu honors him for his help.

Trending

Latest posts