A NEW LOW FOR PUNANI WARRIORS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vulva cupcakes were confiscated': a day in the life of an anti-FGM campaigner

760.jpg

Smuggling vulva-decorated cupcakes into the Somali region of Ethiopia was one of those moments where I thought: “My work as an anti-FGM campaigner gets me into interesting situations sometimes.”

Three years earlier I’d made vulva cupcakes as part of a documentary about FGM that I’d done for Channel 4. “We need you to bring them with you,” said Sagal Abdi, vice executive director of Maandeeq, when she invited me to an event in Jijiga, the capital of the region, part of 16 days of activism against gender-based violence.

Honestly, I was taken aback. I grew up in the UK as part of the Somali diaspora, and I’d assumed the people of Jijiga would not be ready for vulva cupcakes. But Abdi, also part of the diaspora, reassured me that the Ethiopian women had requested them. “Leyla, they watched the documentary and loved the concept of using art for campaigning,” she said.
-------------------------------------------------
See the whole article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2017/mar/13/my-vulva-cupcakes-were-confiscated-but-i-gained-a-sense-of-home

:whoo::ooh::chrisfreshhah::russ::dead:

So during a debilitating drought that is killing scores across the region, this punani defender was 'smuggling' mutilated cupcakes into the Somali region...

Talk about priorities:pacspit:

My vulva cupcakes were confiscated': a day in the life of an anti-FGM campaigner

760.jpg

Smuggling vulva-decorated cupcakes into the Somali region of Ethiopia was one of those moments where I thought: “My work as an anti-FGM campaigner gets me into interesting situations sometimes.”

Three years earlier I’d made vulva cupcakes as part of a documentary about FGM that I’d done for Channel 4. “We need you to bring them with you,” said Sagal Abdi, vice executive director of Maandeeq, when she invited me to an event in Jijiga, the capital of the region, part of 16 days of activism against gender-based violence.

Honestly, I was taken aback. I grew up in the UK as part of the Somali diaspora, and I’d assumed the people of Jijiga would not be ready for vulva cupcakes. But Abdi, also part of the diaspora, reassured me that the Ethiopian women had requested them. “Leyla, they watched the documentary and loved the concept of using art for campaigning,” she said.
-------------------------------------------------
See the whole article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2017/mar/13/my-vulva-cupcakes-were-confiscated-but-i-gained-a-sense-of-home

:whoo::ooh::chrisfreshhah::russ::dead:

So during a debilitating drought that is killing scores across the region, this punani defender was 'smuggling' mutilated cupcakes into the Somali region...

Talk about priorities:pacspit:

A day in the life of an airhead xaliimo. I'm starting to think these creatures are a test from the almighty. Like, could you be any more dumber and cognitively challenged? People dying of hunger, thirst and cholera don't give a monkey's ass about your Guardian social justice crusade.

Fgm is a sad reality in Somalia . In worst case scenarios women are literally sewn up and unsewn on their wedding nights. This causes so many infections. Sometimes their stomachs swell up because there's not enough space for menstruation blood to come out. I'm sorry for being graphic but you need to understand it's not something to be taken lightly. Awareness is necessary because clearly some of you aren't even aware about the horrible extent. Yes we are in a drought and people are dying. But that doesn't mean we should put other things on a back burner. Instead off bashing her for doing something positive ( and at least getting off her ass) maybe you should do something about those other things you deem of a higher priority. Somalis always got something negative to say. Damn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fgm is a sad reality in Somalia . In worst case scenarios women are literally sewn up and unsewn on their wedding nights. This causes so many infections. Sometimes their stomachs swell up because there's not enough space for menstruation blood to come out. I'm sorry for being graphic but you need to understand it's not something to be taken lightly. Awareness is necessary because clearly some of you aren't even aware about the horrible extent. Yes we are in a drought and people are dying. But that doesn't mean we should put other things on a back burner. Instead off bashing her for doing something positive ( and at least getting off her ass) maybe you should do something about those other things you deem of a higher priority. Somalis always got something negative to say. Damn

Oh i definitely agree that FGM is a disgusting scourge in not only Somali society but across hundreds of other cultures/society's in Africa and the middle-east.

I also agree that it shouldn't be a back burner to other concerns (such as the drought) however, i am critical of the way this was executed.

What is the point of this faux secretive business of 'smuggling' vulva cupcakes in the Somali region when FGM is practised by virtually all major ethnic groups in Ethiopia? (why single out the Somali region)

Why not spread awareness via conventional means instead as seen in this article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....y-sister-not-to-do-type-3-fgm-on-her-daughter

Desensitisation. It's good for people to see what a natural vulva looks like, get used to it and the fact that it doesn't need mutilation.
Also maybe she was doing a cake sale and it fits in with the theme. Who cares how she goes about it. At least she is doing something. Don't you think? @oday1kenobi

When your house is flooded, you don't talk about fixing the cupboards. Somalis are not in a position to deal with FGM effectively currently asnthey have more pressing concerns, like not dying.

FYI, shock value attention seeking tactics like vagina cupcakes do nothing for the anti-FGM cause. They merely alienate Somalis from you and cause unnecessary contraversy.

TooMacaan

VIP
It's pretty obvious the headline was used as a catchy/provocative clickbait type thing to attract views. The rest of the article, if you take the time to read it, outlines how the cupcakes were just a campaigning tactic...since vulva art apparently offends some ppl. It's a symbolic act in order to show defiance against fgm practices(which originate from the shame associated with female sexuality & genitalia) in Jijiga...while simultaneously exposing such a big issue to the rest of the world.

If she had only went there to drop off those cupcakes, returned to back to the West, whined on end about the vulva cupcakes being taken away, how oppressive the people were for holding the cupcakes at the airport and how they need to be fired...then ok, I would've agreed that she's an obnoxious sjw but that did not happen and she's actually putting in genuine effort to help our people find a solution to this extremely harmful practice. Gender-based violence is serious and it deserves to be addressed just like politics, environmental disasters, disease, etc. Good for her.

With that said, ngl...it's a weird thing to read things like "I hope he enjoyed eating those red velvet p******".:susp:

This entire thing really is unnecessary

A day in the life of an airhead xaliimo. I'm starting to think these creatures are a test from the almighty. Like, could you be any more dumber and cognitively challenged? People dying of hunger, thirst and cholera don't give a monkey's ass about your Guardian social justice crusade.

There you go again acting triggered :ivers: someone needs to report u to some sort of authority so u don't suddenly snap in a public place and slap the phone out of some poor unsuspecting xalimo :icon lol:

This entire thing really is unnecessary

There you go again acting triggered :ivers: someone needs to report u to some sort of authority so u don't suddenly snap in a public place and slap the phone out of some poor unsuspecting xalimo :icon lol:

I already told you. I don't get triggered by everyday Somali women, just internet social media xaliimos . The girls in my neck of the woods are the complete opposite of people like you. :mjlol:

I should probably get off the internet and problem solved...:cosbyhmm:

When your house is flooded, you don't talk about fixing the cupboards. Somalis are not in a position to deal with FGM effectively currently asnthey have more pressing concerns, like not dying.

FYI, shock value attention seeking tactics like vagina cupcakes do nothing for the anti-FGM cause. They merely alienate Somalis from you and cause unnecessary contraversy.

The fact that you think it's shock value says a lot. And that's the problem right there

The fact that you think it's shock value says a lot. And that's the problem right there

So cupcakes designed to look like a female coochie ends FGM how? More over, how does it even appeal to conservative, poor Somali nomads, which is your primary target?!

No offense, but you just sound like another Somali female who likes to argue for the sake of it. You'll fit right in, as we have plenty of those here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts