1953 census of the south

1711497868926.jpeg

What stands out the most to you guys compared to the 1931 census

Found this on the forum does anybody have a link for the full census

El bur was the most populous place in central Somalia, that’s interesting. Also baidoa and beledweyne are more populated than Xamar.

View attachment 321872

1.2 mil for Somalia & 640k for SL in the 1950s.

How did Somalia’s population rapidly outpace SL? I think today Somalia’s pop is 10-12 million while SL is probably between 4-5 million. Did the agricultural Raxanweyn & Madows have a population explosion?

FCD19CA5-029C-49E5-AEAA-F230A39AD6BB.jpeg

The Madoweyne and Raxanwayn are the reason why the south's population has exploded apparently they don't know family planning they just breed like rabbits each women carries around 6 to 10 malnourished kids while living in UN camps they don't give a f*ck about the future of their kids their timetable is just
beg food
eat food
have sex
i really felt sad tbh
20231221_152307.png

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
1.2 mil for Somalia & 640k for SL in the 1950s.

How did Somalia’s population rapidly outpace SL? I think today Somalia’s pop is 10-12 million while SL is probably between 4-5 million. Did the agricultural Raxanweyn & Madows have a population explosion?

View attachment 321873

The population explosion is among Hawiye and Darod. The D&M have been in long term decline as a share of the population of koonfur. They had two famines kill something like ~400,000 people in the 19 years between 1992 and 2011.

Hawiye and Darod have yet to begin the fertility transition, while Isaaq began their fertility transition in the 1980s.
Hargeisa contraceptive.png

Higher use of contraceptive NW 2006.png

Use of contraceptives NW higher.png

View attachment 321872

Bear in mind, Somalis were nomads more so then, which make census accuracy that much harder even today.

El bur was the most populous place in central Somalia, that’s interesting. Also baidoa and beledweyne are more populated than Xamar.
Yes, Ceel buur was the business centre and the main city for the Hobyo Sultanate.

Yes, Ceel buur was the business centre and the main city for the Hobyo Sultanate.
Ceelbuur had nothing to do with Hobyo Sultanate. It was under Italian rule during Hobyo Sultanate.

1711507810490.png

“The Hauia people populate the central part of the colony on the border with the Darods of the former sultanate of Obbia and straddling the upper and middle Scebeli. According to a tradition they are distinguished in Bah Arbera, i.e. children of an Arab mother, and Bah Ghirei, i.e. children of a Galla mother. Which Hauia I buy for the price of a vaca pezatta. The Murisadas (Middle Shebels) represent the first in Cologne; the latter form 3 large groups; Gurgate, Giambelli and Guggundabe”.

Ceelbuur is one of the oldest continuously inhabited towns in Somalia. It traded with Ajuuraan since the 13th century. It served as capital of Galguduud and soon it will serve as capital of Galmudug inshaAllah.

1711507689070.png

Shame, we could not ask its Na'ib Omar Samatar.
The Italians took over later on with an Eritrean army.

He had control over his fellow Darood kinsmen.

1711509212093.png

"An ex naib, named Omar Samantar, whom the commander of the local garrison, Captain Franco Carolei, hired for the great ascendant he exercises over the Darod populations, introduces himself with a stratagem in the garesa of El Bur"

He had control over his fellow Darood kinsmen.

View attachment 321903

"An ex naib, named Omar Samantar, whom the commander of the local garrison, Captain Franco Carolei, hired for the great ascendant he exercises over the Darod populations, introduces himself with a stratagem in the garesa of El Bur"
That came afterwards when the Sultan was placed under house arrest by the Italians, first in Eritrea, according to Somali history on record.

What percentage of land in Somalia do u guys reckon is inhabited? Apart from a handful urban centres, the country is for the most part empty

Trending