Yes, you can call upon other than Allah — Omar del Sur refuted

CryptoSomali

DAAGAAL
We can prove that calling upon other than Allah is permissible by referring to the hadith of the blind man narrated by At-Tabaraniyy in his two books Al-Muˆjam Al-Kabir and Al-Muˆjam As-Saghir:

A man used to go back and forth to ˆUthman Ibn ˆAffan, may Allah accept his deeds, because of an issue that he needed fulfilled. ˆUthman did not look into his issue. This man met ˆUthman Ibn Hunayf and complained to him about that. So ˆUthman said to him, “Go to the place of wudu’, make wudu’, pray two rakˆahs, and then say, ‘O Allah, I surely ask You, and direct myself to You by our Prophet, Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy. O Muhammad, I surely direct myself to my Lord by you in my need so that it would be fulfilled for me,’ then come to me so that I would go with you.” The man left and did as he said, but then went directly to the door of ˆUthman. The doorman came, took him by the hand and took him in to see ˆUthman Ibn ˆAffan. He sat him on his carpet and said, “What is it that you need?” So, he told him about his need, and ˆUthman fulfilled his need for him and said, “I did not remember your need until this moment!” Then the man left ˆUthman, met with ˆUthman Ibn Hunayf and said, “May Allah compensate you. He would not look into my needs until you spoke to him about me.” ˆUthman said, “I swear by Allah, I did not speak to him, however, I witnessed the Messenger of Allah ﷺ when a blind man came to him and complained about the loss of his sight. He said to the blind man: “If you want, you will be patient, and if you want, I will make supplication for you.” The man said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, the loss of my sight has surely been a hardship on me, and I certainly have no one to guide me!’ So he said to the blind man: “Go to the place of wudu’, make wudu’, then say these words …” The man did as he said, and I swear by Allah, we had not dispersed, nor had the session been long, when the man came to us seeing as if he had never been blind.

What do we learn from this hadith?:
1. Within it is evidence that mere calling is not worship, because the blind man was personally ordered by the Prophet ﷺ to call upon the Prophet ﷺ ,who would never order someone to worship him. The Prophet ﷺ said to him:

“Go to the place of wudu’, make wudu’, pray two rakˆahs, then say, ‘O Allah, I surely ask You, and direct myself to You by our Prophet, Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy. O Muhammad, I surely direct myself by you to my Lord in my need so that it would be fulfilled for me’.”

2. In it is also proof that calling someone in his absence is permissible, because the blindman, obeying the Prophet ﷺ ,was away from the Prophet ﷺ when he called upon him. What proves that is the statement of Ibn Hunayf, the Companion who told the story when he narrated the hadith. He said:

“I swear by Allah, we had not dispersed, nor had the session been long, when the man came to us seeing as if he had never been blind!” This means that he went away from the Prophet ﷺ ,as the Prophet ﷺ ordered him, said the supplication that contains calling on the Prophet, and then came back.

3. There is also proof that calling upon someone after his death is not worship, because the Companions continued to teach this supplication after the Prophet’s death ﷺ ,as ˆUthman Ibn Hunayf did. Also, the hadith scholars continued to narrate this supplication without forbidding the people from applying it after the death of the Prophet ﷺ.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts