Wild story of a Somali asylum seeker who hiked through the Colombian jungle to get to North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
For all you who were asking why a Somali sister was going to crazy lengths to get to Australia, peep this even crazier tale.

yahya-samatar.jpg

WINNIPEG – A Somali man who swam across the Red River thinking it was the border between the United States and Canada has had his refugee claim accepted.

The Immigration and Refugee Board told 32-year-old Yahya Samatar at a hearing in Winnipeg today that his claim was accepted.

Samatar can now apply to be a permanent resident, a process that could take more than a year.

At that time, he will be able to bring his wife and four children to Canada.

Samatar was a human rights worker in Somalia, was kidnapped and fled after his life was threatened by terrorist group Al Shabab.

It took him a year to reach Canada — first he flew from Somalia to Brazil, then hiked through the jungle to Colombia, then up through Central America and to the United States, where he was detained, then headed north.

He found himself on the shore of the Red River.

Although he wasn’t exactly sure where he was, he believed crossing the river would land him on Canadian soil so he jumped in and swam across through the fast and frigid waters, wondering if he would encounter crocodiles as he would in rivers at home.

Emerging on the other side, Samatar walked across several farms before meeting a Good Samaritan who gave him clothes and linked him with the Canadian Border Services Agency.

(CTV Winnipeg)

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/09/30/c...m-of-man-who-fled-somalia-after-death-threat/

:wtfguccimane:

Q

Queen Carawelo

I have a new found respect for tahriibers. They're risking their lives to get a better life in North America. This is the true American (Canadian but we own Canada let's be real) dream. My father always said you will only enjoy the things you worked hard for. These kind of Somalis will work hard and better themselves.

I would trade bandits and his homies for tahriibers.

Congrats to the guy. I hope he takes advantage of the opportunities that are coming his way.

I hope 10 Bantus take his place back in Somalia.

Lama boqol Bantu aa booskiisa gelaayaan. Idinka iska ordaa, badda ku dhintaa, webiga dabaalaa, is walwaalaa, Somalia waa la idinka dhaqaa. Ninkaasi Dixon ha lagu soo dhoweeyo, xaaskiisa, imahiisa iyo qaraabadiisa waa u soo dirreeynaa.
Shalom.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
This story ain't new.:camby:Wasn't he a journalist back home? If I'm not mistaken he speaks ok English and he was given a translator job soma aha?:eminemdamn:

Also didn't his friend also do tahriib and is in Toronto now?:cosbyhmm:

Lama boqol Bantu aa booskiisa gelaayaan. Idinka iska ordaa, badda ku dhintaa, webiga dabaalaa, is walwaalaa, Somalia waa la idinka dhaqaa. Ninkaasi Dixon ha lagu soo dhoweeyo, xaaskiisa, imahiisa iyo qaraabadiisa waa u soo dirreeynaa.
Shalom.

Salute, nigga. All I hope for is a peaceful takeover

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
I have a new found respect for tahriibers. They're risking their lives to get a better life in North America. This is the true American (Canadian but we own Canada let's be real) dream. My father always said you will only enjoy the things you worked hard for. These kind of Somalis will work hard and better themselves.

I would trade bandits and his homies for tahriibers.

Congrats to the guy. I hope he takes advantage of the opportunities that are coming his way.
What a coward he could've stayed in somalia and made money by being millita man or a mercenary:drakewtf:
Idol don't play around you know you can't live without me:lolbron:

I hope 10 Bantus take his place back in Somalia.
I hope you catch hiv from your bantu boyfriend:ehh:

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
What a coward he could've stayed in somalia and made money by being millita man or a mercenary:drakewtf:
Idol don't play around you know you can't live without me:lolbron:

I hope you catch hiv from your bantu boyfriend:ehh:
Militia man:comeon:Those niggaz barely get paid. All they give them is khat and a fuk you.

Why don't you join Ina Galeyr militia? mise you're afraid idooria will catch you and we will discuss your arrest on SS.:chrisfreshhah: Or better yet you do a John Kerry and join idooria cause you ain't get paid enough by your adeer.:drakelaugh:

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Air-fart

You were a collateral damage and hit by my friendly fire missile yaa ibnu maqnuud, my target was the dude above you, Bandi ibnu qaxba.
:comeon:Sanka dhuudhi yow I was the one that posted before you. Next time quote the nigga don't be spraying bullets around. Remember I'm the last skinny you wanna mess with.:ufdup:

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
Militia man:comeon:Those niggaz barely get paid. All they give them is khat and a fuk you.

Why don't you join Ina Galeyr militia? mise you're afraid idooria will catch you and we will discuss your arrest on SS.:chrisfreshhah: Or better yet you do a John Kerry and join idooria cause you ain't get paid enough by your adeer.:drakelaugh:
You make it sound as thoe am talking about honest pay
I simply said get gun and be a mercenary you can feel in the blanks:mjpls:
As for me being a galeyr millita man hope to god am not cause am well known for splitting isaaq and mj dome:gunsmiley:

:comeon:Sanka dhuudhi yow I was the one that posted before you. Next time quote the nigga don't be spraying bullets around. Remember I'm the last skinny you wanna mess with.:ufdup:

Dhuuso aa xaar isu maleeyse? Adiga iyo kaasi u eg dixsi daacuun ku dhace, labada garrab idiinku xambaaro oo aan sidii a wailing Darwiish idiin wareejihaa oo dhulka idiin ku Tirana, ka bacdina aa idiinku istaagaa. Your mum calls me macaane in Paltalk, respect your atheer.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
:deadmanny:Waraa Babatunde waad iska walaysaa cagaha dhulka dhig.:idontlike: I don't wanna catch another body been busy with a lot of them lately. I suggest you go back to working ninyow.

In the meantime ima go get some dome from your girl.:westbrookswag:

Q

Queen Carawelo

Uh oh we got Shaka zulu's great grandson in here.

Welcome.

:gladbron::gladbron:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending