Why hasn't there been any genuine attempt at reconciliation in Somalia?

Will Somalis ever truly reconcile?

• Yes

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
January will mark the 25th year since the collapse of the Somali government but in that quarter of century there has not been a single attempt by any Somali 'government' of delivering justice for the victims of the brutality of the Barre regime, the civil war and subsequent acts of violence. How then can anyone wonder why Somalia continues to be a failed nation? Rehabilitation of war criminals in Somalia boils down to 1) giving them an imamah and claiming they're born-again Muslims or 2) giving them government positions because of their clan following or 'expertise'. This happens from Somaliland to Jubbaland. No reconciliation, no justice, no genuine rehabilitation.

Rwanda got it right: http://www.rwandanstories.org/recovery.html

When will Somalia?

like i proposed, somalia shud be handed to somaliland and we will take care of it.
the people in somalia need people to trust like suldaan/caaqil then a district level authority thats trusted and then local reps all the way to gov. this is how it cud be solved the prob.
it shud be proposed that alshbb must be forgiven and power shared among evry clan.
thats how it cud be started instead of usin 4.5 and lettin outsiders dictate the somali affairs.
maybe allah doesnt want somalia to stand again but then again what does allah accomplish by punishin somalia?

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
There still a power struggle and the situation is still fragile.

Also because of the clan system we'd rather believe or side with a criminal that is of our clan than the victim.

Add to that each side (clan) to speak has their own narrative.

I don't think there willever be any reconcilation but justice should be served for the victims and their families regardless.

civil war is an excuse to f*ck up the country more. before the TFG and SFG there was no civil war. the gov just created this insecurity

Yes i believe Somalia will genuinely reconcile one day, however only if its indigenous.

Mainly because of the sentiments & wishes of the majority of civilian populous
One of the most surprising outcomes of this study is the desire for social reconciliation across Somalia. From Kismayo on the far southern tip of the country to Garowe in the northeast, participants highlighted the need for direct, community-to-community reconciliation. It was abundantly clear that what people wanted was not political accommodation but genuine national recognition that heals the scars of the civil war.
http://waagacusub.net/articles/770/Federal-Somalia-Not-If-but-How

As for the reason why there has not been any attempt of a true genuine reconciliation process is due to two Main factors.

• (1)Chronic foreign meddling
  • (2)Foreign Political Actors
Under the current system, where foreign political actors, particularly from Ethiopia and Kenya, dominate the process, genuine reconciliation is a pipedream. Unless there is a total transformation of the current system that perpetuates the status quo.

Duchess

VIP
like i proposed, somalia shud be handed to somaliland and we will take care of it.
I stopped reading at this point. This is a serious topic so please act accordingly. When it comes to this issue, Somaliland is as fucked up as the rest of Somalia. There are criminal elements who have served in previous SL governments and continue to receive protection due to clan. :camby:

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
Staff Member
Somalia will only see the light when it let's the rightful rulers aka MJ rule the country. Don't @ me it's the truth.:ufdup:

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
Somali clans will only reconcile when their territory is under their hands, so for now by the barrel of the gun. It will get worse with the coming years.

Duchess

VIP
@miski @Geeljire do you think reconciliation should be left to the government or should Somalia follow Rwanda's model of traditional community justice? I wonder how our traditional laws (xeer) would deal with this.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
I think justice should be completely seperated from reconciliation. Justice should take top priority. Unfortunately we don't have a strong enough government that has the ability to do this.

Honestly otherwise the cycle of clan on clan retaliation will continue.

No criminal courts with harsh punishments. No blood money crap.

Duchess

VIP
Somaliland already had reconciliation in 1991 and 1997. Only isolated Khaatumo are
making few noises.
If that's the case, why are some Isaaqs pursuing cases against individuals who had a hand in the events of the late 80s? Clearly, justice has not been served and there has not been any real reconciliation. I also think the victims of the SNM would disagree with your assertion. :comeon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts