Why don't the Madow/bantus create a city in Somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
I think if we urbanize the Madows/Bantus then it would be much easier to take their farming land that they squat on and control them. If they have one city that they can develop for themselves, then they would migrate to it and leave their farming lands in the Jubba/Shabelle. Just look at how Hargeisa attracts all of the Isaaq for example.

What do you guys think? @jugjugwacwac, @Bahal, @Amun, @Prince of Hobyo.

They are urbanized now. Many of them live in Mogadishu and other cities in the south, yet they still retain ownership of the lush farm lands of the south. That's how big their population is now. Also, we can't even build roads for Hargaysa, how in the world will we build a city just for the Bantus? Even if we did, the Bantus are not dumb enough to just up and leave their farms, they know their sitting on some prime real estate which has the potential to be the bread basket of the horn if managed properly.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
That's not how economies work these days. You can't seclude yourself away from the larger society. Most of the urban ethnic enclaves in the US for example have been gentrified and all sorts of people live in them, no longer just Italians, Irish, Jews, Chinese etc.

People just follow where the money is at.

Just look at how Hargeisa attracts all of the Isaaq for example.

You will find Isaaq in Garowe/Bosaso.
You will find Hawiye in Hargeisa, even Borama.

The clan stereotypes of certain cities is no longer that true.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
They are urbanized now. Many of them live in Mogadishu and other cities in the south, yet they still retain ownership of the lush farm lands of in south. That's how big their population is now. Also, we can't even build roads for Hargaysa, how in the world will we build a city just for the Bantus? Even if we did, the Bantus are not dumb enough to just up and leave their farms, they know their sitting on some prime real estate which has the potential to be the bread basket of the horn if managed properly.
Most of those who live in Mogadishu are IDPs and refugees, as with other cities in the south.

The vast majority of them however are secluded and live in their tuulos in the rivers. They are subsistence farming, meaning that they are only able to farm for themselves and their family. Most of them would leave if they had their own city they could develop. And we would either replace their ancestral lands with ethnic Somalis whilst they become urbanized. Then it would be possible to control their population. Heck, most of them would probably even leave the country.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
That's not how economies work these days. You can't seclude yourself away from the larger society. Most of the urban ethnic enclaves in the US for example have been gentrified and all sorts of people live in them, no longer just Italians, Irish, Jews, Chinese etc.

We're talking about Somalia, not the most powerful country in the world.

I am talking about how the Isaaq themselves left their towns or small tuulos for Hargeisa. Those from Ceerigabo, or Caynabo, etc are all leaving to go to Hargeisa. @Duke of Bohol, do you agree that statement?

Most of those who live in Mogadishu are IDPs and refugees, as with other cities in the south.

The vast majority of them however are secluded and live in their tuulos in the rivers. They are subsistence farming, meaning that they are only able to farm for themselves and their family. Most of them would leave if they had their own city they could develop. And we would either replace their ancestral lands with ethnic Somalis whilst they become urbanized. Then it would be possible to control their population. Heck, most of them would probably even leave the country.

Bro, if there was anyway to make this a reality I would be down for it. The nomadic lifestyle is now longer sustainable for most of our geeljires so those farms are looking really good to me right now. It's a dog eat dog world; the ends justify the means; might is right; skinnies gotta eat!

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
The farmland of the Jubba and Shabelle belongs to the government. They can seize it any time they want. I wouldn't be too worried about Bantus stealing Somalia's prime farmland. Their farm property can be seized at any moment with a functional government, like during the Barre days.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
The farmland of the Jubba and Shabelle belongs to the government. They can seize it any time they want. I wouldn't be too worried about Bantus stealing Somalia's prime farmland. Their farm property can be seized at any moment with a functional government, like during the Barre days.
That would be the case if we had a central government, however we're stuck with federalism for now(or perhaps forever) I don't know if a functional government would have the ability to do such things under that system.

Apollo

VIP
That would be the case if we had a central government, however we're stuck with federalism for now(or perhaps forever) I don't know if a functional government would have the ability to do such things under that system.

Not that familiar with Somali politics to be honest, but usually the Bantus are politically suppressed by the ethnic Somali clans living around them. So even those could take their land legally one way or another.

Also, Ethiopia is a federal state, but it keeps stealing and leasing out the land of the Shanquella minorities to Chinese and Gulf investors. Somalia could do the same thing.

This is very much true from what I have heard from a friends and relatives. To my surprise my Majeerteen friend told me that there are ridiculously large Bantu and Raxanweyne populations in places like Bosaso and Garowe. The demographics off Somali cities have changed dramatically as a result of the civil war. A lot of displaced peoples have moved to the North and Mogadishu to escape al-shabab etc.

The country I am living in now (Western) can seize your property at any time as long as they remunerate you at a certain percentage above market value.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
This is very much true from what I have heard from a friends and relatives. To my surprise my Majeerteen friend told me that there are ridiculously large Bantu and Raxanweyne populations in places like Bosaso and Garowe. The demographics off Somali cities have changed dramatically as a result of the civil war. A lot of displaced peoples have moved to the North and Mogadishu to escape al-shabab etc.
Don't be foolish, neither the Bantus or the Raxanweyn have any deegans or tuulos in Bosaso or Garowe. They are refugees.

The demographics of Somali cities haven't changed that much.

Don't be foolish, neither the Bantus or the Raxanweyn have any deegans or tuulos in Bosaso or Garowe. They are refugees.

The demographics of Somali cities haven't changed that much.

I am not talking about deegans. I was attesting to what Amun said with what I have been told, that there are significant population of 'non-native' Somalis in your large Somali cities. Like Bosaso for instance where you can Raxanweynes and Bantus. They are by no means a majority, but they are definitely significant and have made big changes to the demographics.

I have said nothing to suggest that they have legitimate claims over these cities.

Bohol

VIP
There is already one. It is called Jilib.

Jilib (other names: Gilib, Gelib, Jillib, Jillio; Arabic: جلب‎‎) is a town in Somalia, with an estimated population of approximately 125.000
Bantu ethnic group[1] It is located on the main road from Mogadishu south to Kismayo and is the most populous town in the Middle Juba
Region.
Jilib-Sax-11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending