Why do some scholars allow Muslim Men to marry Non-muslim women?

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
This has been in the back of my head but when I ask this question I mean specifically the “ahlul kitab” folks.
Ahlul Kitab as in the people who follow one of the kitabs of the prophets (pbut), which include bible, torah etc

The Quran states in Surah Ma’ida verse 5 that Believing men (ie muslim men”) are allowed to marry chaste women who are believers of the scriptures before us (before the quran). But if they changed the kitabs how are they ahlul kitab? Literally the old testament doesn’t exist anymore meaning nobody follows it…
They rewrote the bible and have st peter and st. (Insert male name) and king james’ versions of the original injeel. So how are they people of the book? They are the people of the book of king james lol.

Don’t even forget the Trinity folks who are straight up committing shirk. And the ones who are technically idol worshippers.

I know some scholars say “no they can’t marry them” but others allow it.

Like in what standards are modern day “ahlul kitab” actually ahlul kitab? If a so called muslim rewrote the quran and committed shirk and said that prophet muhammed saw was actually god (MAJOR ASTAGFIRULLAH WHILE WRITING THIS), does that make them still muslim???? Because by some peoples standards christians will be accepted whilst doing the same thing despite their being whole prophet to correct their transgressions, so why not “Muslims”?

I honestly see this as some muslim men not wanting more restrictions applied to them, so they cherry pick verses and go “YOU SEE THIS IS FINE” without ever actually analyzing it.

Discuss.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Because women become their husbands property. In a way a Da'wah for the non muslim wifes, not to mention, bring light skin on to the table

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Because women become their husbands property. In a way a Da'wah for the non muslim wifes, not to mention, bring light skin on to the table
That’s not my point. This is in regards to ahlul kitab. It’s 100% belief that men can’t marry hindus and Buddhists and whatnot but why these so called christians and jews? Every point a sheikh gives I find a verse that contradicts his statement, and of course there are also many scholars who point out the same verses as I do.
Why don’t they let it go?
Why are they stuck on men marrying these very controversial “ahlul kitab” women? Or should I say “ahlul kitab wal King James” and “ahlul kitab wal ezra”?

I don't buy this hadith tbh. Its the typical male hypocrisy - "I can take your women but you can't take mine." :rolleyes:

Besides, 9/10 Muslim Men/Non-Muslim women have non Muslim children anyway, so the whole "following father" argument falls flat on its face

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
That’s not my point. This is in regards to ahlul kitab. It’s 100% belief that men can’t marry hindus and Buddhists and whatnot but why these so called christians and jews? Every point a sheikh gives I find a verse that contradicts his statement, and of course there are also many scholars who point out the same verses as I do.
Why don’t they let it go?
Why are they stuck on men marrying these very controversial “ahlul kitab” women? Or should I say “ahlul kitab wal King James” and “ahlul kitab wal ezra”?

Well...people of the book have precedents over hindhus or pagans. The gospel, regardless of its many faults have a basic belief in one God, and therefore some how better than pagans or hindhus. And besides i thought your point was predicated on these women converting? I mean- there should be NO MARRIAGE before converting to Islam. Period.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I’ve seen dheikhs say well allah swt mentions the trinity, so this “Christians” are okay to marry. Yes allah swt acknowledges that their are people of the book who transgressed and know believe in “3” as in the trinity. But that verse is this:
[4:171] O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Maryam is only a messenger of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Maryam and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His messengers, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one Allah; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.

That verse is literally telling them to stop associating allah swt, ie committing shirk. That they lie on ar-rahman. Not that they are still ahlul kitab

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I don't buy this hadith tbh. Its the typical male hypocrisy - "I can take your women but you can't take mine." :rolleyes:

Besides, 9/10 Muslim Men/Non-Muslim women have non Muslim children anyway, so the whole "following father" argument falls flat on its face
It’s not hadith. It’s verses from the quran.
Or 1 verse, but there are many verses that prove them wrong. They cherry pick this one verse when other verses explain why they can’t

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I’ve seen dheikhs say well allah swt mentions the trinity, so this “Christians” are okay to marry. Yes allah swt acknowledges that their are people of the book who transgressed and know believe in “3” as in the trinity. But that verse is this:
[4:171] O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Maryam is only a messenger of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Maryam and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His messengers, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one Allah; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.

That verse is literally telling them to stop associating allah swt, ie committing shirk. That they lie on ar-rahman. Not that they are still ahlul kitab

Well you point is really semantic. In true essence, Allaah swt meant the proper followers of the people of the book. Not the contaminated one now. But still i hold the basic tenements of my arguments that Christians and Jews are better than Pagans. Allaahu yaclum of course

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Well you point is really semantic. In true essence, Allaah swt meant the proper followers of the people of the book. Not the contaminated one now. But still i hold the basic tenements of my arguments that Christians and Jews are better than Pagans. Allaahu yaclum of course
Yes they are better than pagans, but that ain’t enough.
Laakin my point still stands. Are Baha’is considered muslim then? By all means no one can really say anything to Shias and Ahmadis with this logic.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Yes they are better than pagans, but that ain’t enough.

of course it aint enuf, thats why they need to be perfected by converting to Islam. Period

If you listen to Christian radio as i do, u will find them in the same peaceful or preaching style as the Muslim preachers, only us as Muslims know--very matter of fact they are WRONG, and blasphemous. Yet they exist and they prosper in prayers, in community help and charity. In the Christian radio u will find the Christians very peaceful in their power of their religion. This only confirms the magnificent mercy of Allaah swt whom despite their epic wrong in what they utter, still God seem to grant their prayers and give them solace/peace via their religion and inauthentic bible.

Thats why the emphasis on the day of judgement in Quran is important as Truth will become apparent to ALL

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
More Verses:

[5:77] Say: O followers of the Book! Be not unduly immoderate in your religion, and do not follow the low desires of people who went astray before and led many astray and went astray from the right path.

[5:86] And (as for) those who disbelieve and reject Our communications, these are the companions of the flame

98:1] Those who disbelieved from among the followers of the Book and the polytheists could not have separated (from the faithful) until there had come to them the clear evidence (Quran)

[98:6] Surely those who disbelieve from among the followers of the Book and the polytheists shall be in the fire of hell, abiding therein; they are the worst of men.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
More Verses:

[5:77] Say: O followers of the Book! Be not unduly immoderate in your religion, and do not follow the low desires of people who went astray before and led many astray and went astray from the right path.

[5:86] And (as for) those who disbelieve and reject Our communications, these are the companions of the flame

98:1] Those who disbelieved from among the followers of the Book and the polytheists could not have separated (from the faithful) until there had come to them the clear evidence (Quran)

[98:6] Surely those who disbelieve from among the followers of the Book and the polytheists shall be in the fire of hell, abiding therein; they are the worst of men.

this only emphasizes the importance of belief or believing as opposed to the pardoning of the people of the book. As u can see above the people of the book are coupled with the polytheists- meaning they are both guilty of not believing the message brought by our prophet pbuh

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
this only emphasizes the importance of belief or believing as opposed to the pardoning of the people of the book. As u can see above the people of the book are coupled with the polytheists- meaning they are both guilty of not believing the message brought by our prophet pbuh
Yes, I believe god was emphazing to the past Ahlul Kitab that Prophet Muhammed was an extension to what their Nabis (Isa,Musa,Abraham) had brought to them from Allah swt. Christians before the Prophet all go to heaven regardless if they were misguided or not, but polytheists like hindus who knew the existence of Christianity don’t ever get a pass. The point of addressing these now two non muslim groups, ahlul kitab and polytheists, is that one group (ahlul kitab) transgressed while polytheists were just kuffar who never had the chance to transgress.

Ahmed Ato

Self-interest
Most Sheikhs agree that Muslim Men are allowed to marry Christian and Jewish Women but Muslim Women are not allowed to do that.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Most Sheikhs agree that Muslim Men are allowed to marry Christian and Jewish Women but Muslim Women are not allowed to do that.
Most sheikhs? Come again. I would say a good half say no, while a good half are in between they can and you’d have to interpret it yourself.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Yes, I believe god was emphazing to the past Ahlul Kitab that Prophet Muhammed was an extension to what their Nabis (Isa,Musa,Abraham) had brought to them from Allah swt. Christians before the Prophet all go to heaven regardless if they were misguided or not, but polytheists like hindus who knew the existence of Christianity don’t ever get a pass. The point of addressing these now two non muslim groups, ahlul kitab and polytheists, is that one group (ahlul kitab) transgressed while polytheists were just kuffar who never had the chance to transgress.

So now u r advocating for poor polytheists? Regardless of Ahlul Kitab or not-- polytheist or not-- the act of NOT believing stems from non believing. Willing ignorance or Unwilling ignorance = ignorance and paying a consequence

Ahmed Ato

Self-interest
Most sheikhs? Come again. I would say a good half say no, while a good half are in between they can and you’d have to interpret it yourself.
I think it is more than that.

Xoxoxo

VIP
Those who sort off correctly follow Christianity are tbh those who follow the Old Testament, but even then that testament isn’t correct at all. So yeah I am actually curious about this top

World

VIP

Well 100 years ago the children would 99 % follow the father and would grow up to be muslims, but in these times we live in that’s not the case and they’ll probably grow up non Muslim. Even children of two Muslim parents sometimes don’t follow islam.

Som

VIP
Jews and Christians are still Ahlul kitaab because their core principle is monotheism even though that was partially infiltrated by non monotheistic ideas like the trinity in the case of Christianity.
If islam is to be considered 100% correct judaism and Christianity are like 50% correct because at least they believe in some kind divine revelation while other religions don't have the same source. The most important thing in islam is believing in Allah, technically jews and Christians believe in Allah even though they have incorrect views about him.

Trending