Why are somalis mostly in cold countries?

I am sure there is a reasonable answer to my question, but I've always found it odd how most somali communities are majority In very cold countries or states such as Minnesota, Sweden, Canada, Norway, Denmark etc. I know some people are going to say its due financial and economical reason why most of us didn't immigrate to Italy despite having ties with them.

Any scandi-somalis here to confirm if this is true?

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Lol theres no way they thought of lacking vitamin D before dipping and refuging somewhere else. They just ended up there by hope.

Lol theres no way they thought of lacking vitamin D before dipping and refuging somewhere else. They just ended up there by hope.
But why? I don't know much about politics but I assumed that country that had ties (in this case colonial history) would be pressured to take in refugees, like how the UK did with somalis and other ethnic-groups they ruled.

Shimbiris

Ψ¨Ω‰ΩŽΨ± ΨΊΩ‰ΩŽΩ„ Ψ₯ي؀ ΨΉΨ’Ω†Ψ€ Ω„Ψ€
VIP
@π’‹π’–π’†π’”π’–π’•π’ˆ and @Shimbiris you two seem very smart and educated about topics like these, do you perhaps know if Italy was any help or at leats opened their doors to somali refugees during the civil war like England did ?

Southern Europe is not that welcoming to refugees and isn't as easy to naturalize in, if I'm not mistaken. They're also poorer with less stellar job opportunities, less stable and growing economies and, well, let's be real... not nearly as much cayr. Hence why Somalis favored areas like Germany, Scandinavia and of course the United Kingdom. It's not rocket science. If Somalis had a choice of course they'd wanna live somewhere more sunny and less depressing.

Hilmaam

Sound mind sound body
VIP
Minnesota is heaven on earth if you ask me summer the whole state is green. grass and trees everywhere it also has 10,000 lakes and Mississippi River so fresh water will never be issue. If global warming true crazy winter maybe will get milder in future. Cherry on top not in hurricane or earthquake zone or major natural disaster zone . Think this applies pretty well for uk and Scandinavia as well. Prefer this over heat and 24/7 bugs. Not to mention economy and not being densely populated

1687108158441.jpeg

1687108262986.jpeg

Minnesota is heaven on earth if you ask me summer the whole state is green. grass and trees everywhere it also has 10,000 lakes and Mississippi River so fresh water will never be issue. If global warming true crazy winter maybe will get milder in future. Cherry on top not in hurricane or earthquake zone or major natural disaster zone . Think this applies pretty well for uk and Scandinavia as well. Prefer this over heat and 24/7 bugs. Not to mention economy and not being densely populated

View attachment 279816
View attachment 279817
Looks like Sweden in the summer.

View attachment 279816
View attachment 279817
Minnesota is the richest state and has a lot of manufacturing jobs that you can get without speaking English and high wage middle class jobs

Minnesota is the richest state and has a lot of manufacturing jobs that you can get without speaking English and high wage middle class jobs
California is the richest by GDP in US while New York state is the richest by GDP per capita.

Minnesota rank 20th on GDP in US and 14th by GDP per capita.

California is the richest by GDP in US while New York state is the richest by GDP per capita.

Minnesota rank 20th on GDP in US and 14th by GDP per capita.
What the f is GDP? Household income is what matters lol.

SXB is out here thinking apples profits or Wall Street matters to a person looking for work.

Minnesota has a high income and low unemployment, and cheap housing.

What the f is GDP? Household income is what matters lol.

SXB is out here thinking apples profits or Wall Street matters to a person looking for work.

Minnesota has a high income and low unemployment, and cheap housing.
Usually people measure countries/states by GDP and maybe GDP per capita, household income is valid as well tho so you got a point. Isn’t GDP basically household income? They probably strongly correlate. You commented before that Minnesota is the richest state tho, so you were wrong there.

Usually people measure countries/states by GDP and maybe GDP per capita, household income is valid as well tho so you got a point. Isn’t GDP basically household income? They probably strongly correlate. You commented before that Minnesota is the richest state tho, so you were wrong there.
Minnesota is the richest state because Somalis live there and we are the most valuable people in the world.

Staying comfortable in warm locales leads to stagnation. Suffering through the cold winters of northern countries builds character and results in smarter children. We can't take over the world if we're scared of the cold and the previous generation knew this so that's why they settled in these regions.

@π’‹π’–π’†π’”π’–π’•π’ˆ and @Shimbiris you two seem very smart and educated about topics like these, do you perhaps know if Italy was any help or at leats opened their doors to somali refugees during the civil war like England did ?
I would agree with @Shimbiris. Let me add: there had been two groups of Somalis in Italy:
a) People, who had been working with, or for the Italians in the colonial era, who then moved to Italy post independence.
b) Students, who settled post education. Many in both groups married into the locals, some even unrecognisable, for example a relative of mine, an MD married into Italy's last royal family till his passing a few years ago. On a European tour we have had right after our GCSEs, I observed many families settled in Padova, Turin, Rome, and even in Sicily, with many being Latinised many a moon ago. A/Aziz Dhegaweyne, a fine Somali sculptor, now residing in Minneapolis was one of them, who lived in Padova.

With respect to refugees, unlike UK, and Germany, which host the largest refugee population in Europe, Italy neither welcomes, nor provides decent services incl. housing, income support, or even grants to refugees, therefore is not quite a desirable destination for many.

Do keep in mind, there is a considerable economic and wealth disparity between Southern vs Northern Italy with the latter being more affluent, and with the former subjected to iniquitous practices.

Nin123

The most hated man in here
VIP

View attachment 279816
View attachment 279817
I really don’t like Forest and green grass land’s
I like more semi-arid lands more.
IMG_0546.jpeg

Trending