White Women forced to close Burrito Shop due to 'Cultural Appropiation'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two white women accused of cultural appropriation shut down their Oregon burrito shop

Everything was going great for Kali Wilgus and Liz “LC” Connelly. Their new pop-up burrito shop in Portland, Ore., managed to kick up a buzz around town.

With French fries tucked inside the tortillas with eggs, cheese and guacamole, and served with neon-colored salsas, the burritos were Instagram-ready.

The woman called their business Kooks Burritos.

Then on May 16 the Willamette Week ran a story explaining how a trip to Mexico in December inspired them – and things quickly went south.

The story dropped like a bomb, with online critics immediately accusing the women of “stealing” recipes from Mexico and charging them with cultural appropriation.

The fallout grew so loud – defenders of the women cyber-yelling at critics for being too politically correct – that over the last few days the women have closed the shop.

One man on Facebook called this “one of the most embarrassing episodes in Portland history.”

Read more here
http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article152933279.html

There's a restaurant chain where I live that sells Indian food made by white people :mjlol: Shit tastes so nasty and the curries/rice barely have seasoning. Wish someone would call cultural appropriation on that monstrosity and shut it down already :mjlol:

Two white women accused of cultural appropriation shut down their Oregon burrito shop

Everything was going great for Kali Wilgus and Liz “LC” Connelly. Their new pop-up burrito shop in Portland, Ore., managed to kick up a buzz around town.

With French fries tucked inside the tortillas with eggs, cheese and guacamole, and served with neon-colored salsas, the burritos were Instagram-ready.

The woman called their business Kooks Burritos.

Then on May 16 the Willamette Week ran a story explaining how a trip to Mexico in December inspired them – and things quickly went south.

The story dropped like a bomb, with online critics immediately accusing the women of “stealing” recipes from Mexico and charging them with cultural appropriation.

The fallout grew so loud – defenders of the women cyber-yelling at critics for being too politically correct – that over the last few days the women have closed the shop.

One man on Facebook called this “one of the most embarrassing episodes in Portland history.”

Read more here
http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article152933279.html

I saw it on social media this open buffet restaurant in Toronto that serves Somali foods, plus South Asia and Arab food.

TooMacaan

VIP
I feel like burritos are mainstream culture now...is it really owned by one single culture nowadays?
If fast food shops are able to make and sell it without complaint, these women shouldn't have to close down their stores either.

As long as they don't have too much of a monopoly on the local scene (compared to authentic restaurants), just let the free market decide. :manny:

Last edited:

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
This American outrage culture is spreading to Sweden even. The other day i saw this Swedish guy on the train with dreadlocks, and i shit you not, some white woman came up to him screaming about how his hair is cultural appropriation :bell:

Also in Uganda there is Somali restaurant owned and run by non Somalis.
Who would want to go to a Somali cafe where there is no qabil banter ;no arguments ;no Arabic streamed football ;and no staring at the odd Xalimo who walks in once a year? .dead ! As for cultural appropriation ,aren't weaves cultural appropriation of white culture and hair ?

#ban somaliland cafes from selling cambulo .
#ramadan
#muslamic pan Cushitic Al right
#streets gotta eat

Apollo

VIP
I see nothing wrong with appropriating things from other cultures, as long as it isn't tacky and over the top. Why not adopt things what another culture figured out better?

Yes, the owner and cooks are not Somalis. Our food is easy and our recipes are found in YouTube and food blogs.

These white people are out here stealing everyone's cultures....

:lawd: They could find the recipes but we all know white ppl make bland food, it wouldn't taste the same, their incapable of seasoning their food properly. :mjpls:

Apollo

VIP
These white people are out here stealing everyone's cultures....

:lawd: They could find the recipes but we all know white ppl make bland food, it wouldn't taste the same, their incapable of seasoning their food properly. :mjpls:

Ahem Italians are semi-white and they have the best cuisine.

Ahem Italians are semi-white and they have the best cuisine.

Italian food is nice but their key ingredient is oregano, basil light herbs...

Apart from Italy and excluding Greece, the gaalio ppls food is bland. I don't think Mediterranean countries are gaalio their something else... :cosbyhmm:

Compare that to your hooya's mixed rice, you know the one she cooks on special occasions :banderas:

Status
Not open for further replies.