Which is Better. Territorial identity Vs tribal identity

Tribal identity Vs territorial identity.

• Tribal

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Territorial

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

mohamedismail

Reewin. Lixda Gobol ee Maayland unii leh!
The video above explores the differences between certain communities and how they identify themselves.

I personally believe identifying with your region instead of your tribe is the more ilbax option. This is due to the fact that you will have more in common with those you live with then your tribesmen.

1) The ones who identify with their region i.e Reer Xamar Reer Baraawe Reer Baay etc

2) Those that identify with their trades i.e reer shiidle reer shabeele reer Maahyo

3) Those that identify with their tribe.

Emir of Zayla

π•Ήπ–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“ 𝖔𝖋 π•»π–”π–Šπ–™π–˜
I identify with Somaliweyn. Though outside of being Somali I also do identify kinda with being part of the Muslim part of the Horn. So territorial identity I guess

I personally believe in Waqooyisim, tribes from the north and north west share a similar culture and history from peace and war to suuganata and somali folklore like silsilada guba and so on.

3LetterzMM

LG gang we gon slide for my nigga 🀐πŸ₯·
Territory has more value to me the way I see it I have more in common with someone from a different clan but same region more then someone from my clan but different region

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Tribal makes more sense, connected by a shared sense of community rather than a line on a map.

Somalis didn't even value the ideas of borders or countries that much until colonization.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Territory has more value to me the way I see it I have more in common with someone from a different clan but same region more then someone from my clan but different region
Distance may be a factor in cultural similarity, maybe simply being close to each other is what causes a shared sense of community rather than tribal labels.

Not an expert & I may be wrong but didn't most people identify with their region in the 70s? especially in the capital? Many riwaayads at the time also expressed this theme.

mohamedismail

Reewin. Lixda Gobol ee Maayland unii leh!
Not an expert & I may be wrong but didn't most people identify with their region in the 70s? especially in the capital? Many riwaayads at the time also expressed this theme.
Your right. Especially when there is a strong central government identity becomes more territorial then tribal. Tribal identity rose when the central government was destroyed.

World

VIP
The video above explores the differences between certain communities and how they identify themselves.

I personally believe identifying with your region instead of your tribe is the more ilbax option. This is due to the fact that you will have more in common with those you live with then your tribesmen.

1) The ones who identify with their region i.e Reer Xamar Reer Baraawe Reer Baay etc

2) Those that identify with their trades i.e reer shiidle reer shabeele reer Maahyo

Regionalism is more conductive to building a successful nation state

All the people that identified by region or occupation were still identifying by tribe, it wasn't like it was an equivalent to identifying by tribe but rather a secondary identity. For example identifying by town like reer xamar, reer marka etc or identifying by region like reer dhoobey ,was only used outside of the town or region itself. In those areas people still identified by tribes amongst themselves.

I personally believe in Waqooyisim, tribes from the north and north west share a similar culture and history from peace and war to suuganata and somali folklore like silsilada guba and so on.
Can you tell us more of this culture of yours

πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

Trending

Latest posts