Where do you register a .SO domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have information or links to hosting and domain registeries for .So?

Looked on YouTube and Eurosom ranked highest with content about this, but
thier website is down— Eurosom.so
and that’s rather unsettling.

I would like to support any Somali owned domain registry that is RELIABLE!!!

@embarrasing shared a video awhile back on a trade show in Mogadishu that had a domain registerer, and I can find that video.

How do you approach this? I know hosting isn’t coming from Somalia since it’s economically unviable for Ciyaal Kacaan to run them off Diesel generators. So the hosting will most likely come from a subcontractor outside of the country.

:jcoleno: .So is divided into 4.5

Last edited:

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
Moniker.com $80~ for .so domains

The Somalj ones I've seen have crappy service and tend to be resellers of foreign registrar's anyways.

Anyone know any decent ones?

Could be a profitable business.

Upsell people that register domains on other services and you could easily get a LTV of over $200+ per customer.

Other services meaning; web development, e-commerce setup, legal & other services.

Send the business to other Somali businesses and take a cut if you don't plan on building them yourself.

Moniker.com $80~ for .so domains

The Somalj ones I've seen have crappy service and tend to be resellers of foreign registrar's anyways.

Anyone know any decent ones?

Could be a profitable business.

Upsell people that register domains on other services and you could easily get a LTV of over $200+ per customer.

Other services meaning; web development, e-commerce setup, legal & other services.

Send the business to other Somali businesses and take a cut if you don't plan on building them yourself.

This is what I assumed.

Since there’s no reliable power grid in the country you can’t have your own servers.

This has been a question of mine for while.

I’m just nervous if they go bust and lose the entire DNS

@RasCanjero-

Typed a few domains on Moniker and they are all 80$, nearly 5X the price of other domains.

Wonder what other African countries charge.

What are the factors influencing the price?

I feel cheated

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
@RasCanjero-

Typed a few domains on Moniker and they are all 80$, nearly 5X the price of other domains.

Wonder what other African countries charge.

What are the factors influencing the price?

I feel cheated

It's due to the lack of demand.

They have to recoup their investment for the license to sell .so domains.

The more they .so domains they sell the cheaper they can sell it for and still make their money back.

Not familiar with the domain world but I guess that's what happening.

’m just nervous if they go bust and lose the entire DNS

I don't think you have to worry about that until Somali companies start building out their own internet infrastructure domestically.

Currently they're all piggybacking off other African lines and running small psuedo ISPs.

If the Somali government formalized the telecom industry it would be a great area to invest in.

Its just wild wild west ATM and your more likely to have another Telco hire Shabaab to bomb your HQ for even trying.

It's due to the lack of demand.

They have to recoup their investment for the license to sell .so domains.

The more they .so domains they sell the cheaper they can sell it for and still make their money back.

Not familiar with the domain world but I guess that's what happening.

I don't think you have to worry about that until Somali companies start building out their own internet infrastructure domestically.

Currently they're all piggybacking off other African lines and running small psuedo ISPs.

If the Somali government formalized the telecom industry it would be a great area to invest in.

Its just wild wild west ATM and your more likely to have another Telco hire Shabaab to bomb your HQ for even trying.

The demand side makes sense since many people aren’t even aware of .SO

Anyways I’m going to get them and migrate to a realiable hoster.

The renewals are ridiculously expensive for .SO compared to countries with 1/5 of our population

Duale

Somali is the name
Sostec.so sells .So domains for $25 but its only for people living in Somalia(don't know the reason).:manny:

P.S. The CEO of Sostec is a Somali women (Zahra Abdikarim) who is an entrepreneur, check her out here

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
The demand side makes sense since many people aren’t even aware of .SO

Anyways I’m going to get them and migrate to a realiable hoster.

The renewals are ridiculously expensive for .SO compared to countries with 1/5 of our population

That's how they make most of their money.

Let us know how it went if you decide to go with a Somali company.

Sostec.so sells .So domains for $25 but its only for people living in Somalia(don't know the reason).

Where does it say it's $25 for only Somali citizens?

Looks like a clean site for a Somali hosting company.:ehh:

A lot of Chinese were buying domain names and I heard their purchase was suspended a few years ago.

Look at this link though

https://www.nic.so/registrars/

Ciyaal Kacaan are insane.

Why wouldn't they just give to the central government and outsource the servers for the Mid-Term to one single company that can lower the prices dramatically for the locals.

Chinese are notorious domain squatters. :hemad:
They have people who copy and paste an entire dictionary translation.

Xaar.so Was taken.:drakelaugh:

That's how they make most of their money.

Let us know how it went if you decide to go with a Somali company.

Where does it say it's $25 for only Somali citizens?

Looks like a clean site for a Somali hosting company.:ehh:

You can only register for one year, I think it’s a smart audit control to curb resellers from dumping the domains on the free market for more.

I’m going to email them and ask them if I can transfer the domain anyway.

Ciyaal Kacaan are insane.

Why wouldn't they just give to the central government and outsource the servers for the Mid-Term to one single company that can lower the prices dramatically for the locals.

Chinese are notorious domain squatters. :hemad:
They have people who copy and paste an entire dictionary translation.

Xaar.so Was taken.:drakelaugh:

Its purchase now is supposedly limited to Somali people or people with a connection to Somalia

Its purchase now is supposedly limited to Somali people or people with a connection to Somalia

I’m going to email the provider in Mogadishu.

There a pop-up disclaimer that shows your own IP. I think it’s limit the amount of resellers out of the country.

Gandi.net is a solid provider but they are charging $133CAD/Year. The same one is 25$ usd if I buy it local. Im going to ask them about transferring the domain

Ahmed Ali

Oshibobo
Why is it that our people love to over exaggerate the prices on everything even to thous in UK. Item that cost $2 their will say it's $100.

whether you want to buy a house in Somalia or start a business is a risk you have to be welling to take unexpected bombs goes on and some area are poor environment an-develop it's not like we have a strong economic or hospital schools, Collages etc Property in Somalia value goes as high as the ones in the UK where is the logic on that? well in America Michigan property 4/6 bedroom house coming under low as $20K and in Somalia $250K

1. Country Domain name cost around 13 to 15 USA dollars per Year, includes E-mails and support.

You just can't go around and randomly shit price over your head. You have to look at the country state and the economic. Or you can compete with other business prices or by offering extra services who are already compete with your business.

2. Domain name should cost only $13.95 nothing more.
I am not sure if in Somalia we have our own satellite I don't think we went to the space yet or have our own internet server that we can provide to all Somalis...?

Why is it that our people love to over exaggerate the prices on everything even to thous in UK. Item that cost $2 their will say it's $100.

whether you want to buy a house in Somalia or start a business is a risk you have to be welling to take unexpected bombs goes on and some area are poor environment an-develop it's not like we have a strong economic or hospital schools, Collages etc Property in Somalia value goes as high as the ones in the UK where is the logic on that? well in America Michigan property 4/6 bedroom house coming under low as $20K and in Somalia $250K

1. Country Domain name cost around 13 to 15 USA dollars per Year, includes E-mails and support.

You just can't go around and randomly shit price over your head. You have to look at the country state and the economic. Or you can compete with other business prices or by offering extra services who are already compete with your business.

2. Domain name should cost only $13.95 nothing more.
I am not sure if in Somalia we have our own satellite I don't think we went to the space yet or have our own internet server that we can provide to all Somalis...?

The servers are subcontracted out of the country.

It’s 80$USD per year.

I seen one non-somali company charging 400$USD for 3 years

Ahmed Ali

Oshibobo
The servers are subcontracted out of the country.

It’s 80$USD per year.

I seen one non-somali company charging 400$USD for 3 years

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is this buying and selling domain names or just typical registering new domain name and hosting?

If is a registering a domain name and hosting for a sharing unlimited hosting other company i have work with goes around 85 to 108$ USD per year but that includes everything not just domain name itself.

Anyone have information or links to hosting and domain registeries for .So?

Looked on YouTube and Eurosom ranked highest with content about this, but
thier website is down— Eurosom.so
and that’s rather unsettling.

I would like to support any Somali owned domain registry that is RELIABLE!!!

@embarrasing shared a video awhile back on a trade show in Mogadishu that had a domain registerer, and I can find that video.

How do you approach this? I know hosting isn’t coming from Somalia since it’s economically unviable for Ciyaal Kacaan to run them off Diesel generators. So the hosting will most likely come from a subcontractor outside of the country.

:jcoleno: .So is divided into 4.5
Yeah, it was Sostec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending