Where did the "Somalis and Oromos are brothers/We are related" myth come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
Is it because of the Siad Barre era '77 war? Is it because of the "Cushitic" bullshit? They have and always will be in constant conflicts due to land disputes.

Saalax Bidaar

Truthfulness so often goes with ruthlessness
Yeah Oromos and Somalis aren’t related at all except border Somalis clans that were absorbed and assimilated into the Oromo tribes.

We don’t even have same culture, customs, dance, language, cuisine etc.

We shared same faith as Oromo majority but that is where the similarities end

Finally, the view that the Somalis derive from the mixture of Gallas with Arabs

is based on the (real or imaginary) evidence of comparative anthropology, or more

Precisely on the close kinship of the Somalis with the Gallas and on their unques-

tionable mixing with Arabs.

Paulitschke claims that the Somalis, like the Danakils, in respect of their origin

are only a branch of the Gallas, that they constitute simply the northeastern Galla

tribes which, owing to their strong mixture with the Arabs, “turned” into Somalis

and Danakils 2 approximately in the 7th century of our era.

In the opinion of Ratzel, the Somalis are “a branch of the Galla peoples most of

all affected by alien influence and mixed with alien elements”. He thinks that the

Somalis first lived farther west of their present territories, but later, driven by other

“Galla peoples”, wandered eastward, to the coast regions, and the result was that

“by reason of their situation they had to maintain frequent contacts with Arabia”

and mixed with the Arabs to a considerable extent. This is how the Somali people

was born which, therefore, is an Arabized Galla people or, in the w^ords of Ratzel,

“an Arab branch on the Galla trunk”. 3

It is interesting to note that the same Hahn, who, as we have seen, seems to be

Convinced that the Somalis “doubtless immigrated into Africa from Arabia”, turns

out to be far from sure in his belief, since in another place he writes the following:

1 Voyage au Cap des Aromates, p. 257.

2 See Beitrdge ...» on p. 90. below.

5 Op. cit. vol. ii, pp. 185, 182.

THE HISTORY
OF BLACK AFRICA
VOLUME I

Isaaq guy told you that? I doubt that. I think you read it online

a tall isaaq guy that we call dheere, told me that the ogadenis are deceptive and do not put thought into things, while isaaq are honest, straightforward, and know how to rule a state.
i did not take him seriously, but he's my elder, and was my dads good friend, (Allah yarhamu, my father passed away in 2013) so out of respect, i said okay and listened attentively.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@Abba Sadacha Somalis are about the same size as the Amhara and Tigray of Ethiopia put together. We are the second largest ethnic group in East Africa. There is no evidence whatsoever that Somalis are a branch of Oromo.

The truth of the matter is that the Oromo are genetically mainly Somali with some Semitic and Omotic admixture. It could be argued that Oromo is a branch of Somali that experienced rapid population growth through war and subsequent assimilation of large agricultural populations.

@Abba Sadacha Somalis are about the same size as the Amhara and Tigray of Ethiopia put together. We are the second largest ethnic group in East Africa. There is no evidence whatsoever that Somalis are a branch of Oromo.

The truth of the matter is that the Oromo are genetically mainly Somali with some Semitic and Omotic admixture. It could be argued that Oromo is a branch of Somali that experienced rapid population growth through war and subsequent assimilation of large agricultural populations.

I posted proof or an argument for Somalis being oromo.
Show me one historian who proposed that oromo came from Somalis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending