What's the genetic profile of the Kunama and Nara people, the Nilo-Saharan speaking ethnic groups of Eritrea?

Apollo

VIP
I don't think they are anything like the Gumuz or Dinkas (who are highly Nilotic). Only some haplogroup studies on them, nothing autosomal. I think they are closer to mainstream Horners than to full Nilotes like the Dinka, Gumuz etc. @kobe

The Nara are linguistically closest to Nubians, and Nubians are another Nilo-Saharan group very close to Afro-Asiatic Horners.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
I don't think they are anything like the Gumuz or Dinkas (who are highly Nilotic). Only some haplogroup studies on them, nothing autosomal. I think they are closer to mainstream Horners than to full Nilotes like the Dinka, Gumuz etc. @kobe

The Nara are linguistically closest to Nubians, and Nubians are another Nilo-Saharan group very close to Afro-Asiatic Horners.

They definitely look like they have a fair amount of Horner admixture. The famous Muslim Eritrean freedom fighter Hamid Idris Awate was said to be a Nara and Beni Amer (Beja-Tigre tribe) mix

EghrfIhVkAAdwRe.jpg

Apollo

VIP
They definitely look like they have a fair amount of Horner admixture. The famous Muslim Eritrean freedom fighter Hamid Idris Awate was said to be a Nara and Beni Amer (Beja-Tigre tribe) mix

View attachment 147809

I have met a handful of Kunama and Nara Eritrean refugees in Europe. I can confirm that many of them can pass for Cushites and don't look all that Nilotic.

Trending