What soil types does somalia have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
T0CMUKW.gif

Wardheere

Qolana Janno qolana naar
The south the shabelle and jubba have good soil. Anything that can grow in a hot climate can be grown here.

I have no pictures of the soil

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
@Yaquub @Azirah Anonymous @Nomad Here is the knowledge about Somali soil types you wanted to know.

Sandy soil is beige to tan. Soil with organics is gray. Red soil is usually caused by iron and is characteristic of the Doi in the south and the Haud in the north.

"Somalia has various soil types, primarily according to climate and the parent rock. The northern part of the country (Somaliland and Puntland) has shallow sandy and/or stony soils and some deeper lime-rich soils. In the highlands around Hargeisa, relatively high rainfall has raised the organic content in the sandy calcareous soils characteristic of the northern plains. This soil supports some rain-fed farming. South of Hargeisa begins the “Haud” region whose red calcareous soils continue into the Ethiopian Ogaden and support vegetation which is ideal for camel grazing. Deep clay soils are found south of Gabiley in Somaliland.

The central part of the country is dominated by sandy soils along the coast and moderately deep loamy soils with a high content of calcium carbonate and/or gypsum further inland. Prominent in southern Somalia are low-lying alluvial plains, associated with the Juba and Shabelle Rivers. These plains mainly have clayey soils, some of which have poor drainage and/or high content of salts. Some of the riverine areas are also liable to flooding. The inter-riverine areas have both shallow soils (particularly towards the border with Ethiopia) and deep loamy and clayey soils. SWALIM has conducted numerous surveys of the soil in different parts of Somalia and is in the process of compiling a national soils database. Detailed soil reports with maps can be accessed through the library under the Publications section."

Here: http://www.faoswalim.org/land/soils-somalia

The truth is the non-fertile areas you see that Somalis have are not deserts but arid lands meaning dry soil that can easily be fixed by modern day irrigation.

Last edited:
In the Konfuur it has Acidic soil ph 3,4,5, therefore great for plant growth.

In baari it is mainly dhagax iyo buuro that mix it hard to determine because it is rock.

Waaqooyi iyo Galbeed have the same soil type it is Alkaline soil or sand of ph of 9,10,11. It is hard to grow fruits, plants are still able to grow like those trees for example guurnwa (thorny tree which is vey poisonous),galool (dry tree mainly used for wood called galool or burn't to become dhuxul), and cases of geed hindi (a tree native to india but grows in east africa very rarely).

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
In the Konfuur it has Acidic soil ph 3,4,5, therefore great for plant growth.

In baari it is mainly dhagax iyo buuro that mix it hard to determine because it is rock.

Waaqooyi iyo Galbeed have the same soil type it is Alkaline soil or sand of ph of 9,10,11. It is hard to grow fruits, plants are still able to grow like those trees for example guurnwa (thorny tree which is vey poisonous),galool (dry tree mainly used for wood called galool or burn't to become dhuxul), and cases of geed hindi (a tree native to india but grows in east africa very rarely).

Gabiley region is in Woqooyi Galbeed and it's the most fertile region in northern Somalia, it can grow almost everything. In Somaliland they have many fertile regions such as Gabiley region, Sheikh Mountains, Sanaag highlands, Odweyne lowlands and eastern parts of Awdal.

I mean look how fertile Gabiley region is.

Gabiley region is in Woqooyi Galbeed and it's the most fertile region in northern Somalia, it can grow almost everything. In Somaliland they have many fertile regions such as Gabiley region, Sheikh Mountains, Sanaag highlands, Odweyne lowlands and eastern parts of Awdal.

Gabiley is similar to Jigjiga, good for produce and farming.

Can rice and wheat be grown in the north because i'm looking to buy some farmland there?

It looks like this

Attachments

• DYq2CQyX4AAtMbF.jpg
    DYq2CQyX4AAtMbF.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 519847932.jpg
    519847932.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 3729be391171e4c6647378ee81753589.jpg
    3729be391171e4c6647378ee81753589.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 209
  • 1f913977bccf4bd54600dd5e45a32420--somalia-bari.jpg
    1f913977bccf4bd54600dd5e45a32420--somalia-bari.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 207
  • flooding9.jpg
    flooding9.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 42982df893e94fefb28e8f202efbf2f9_18.jpg
    42982df893e94fefb28e8f202efbf2f9_18.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 216
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 193

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Can rice and wheat be grown in the north because i'm looking to buy some farmland there?

Yes. However, you need a lot of water to produce rice and I believe it is Sanaag highlands.

In Somaliland, you have Sanaag region that has fertile highlands

32443635_1756923024386974_8845034234675462144_n.jpg

What you could do is follow an ancient Chinese tradition that saves and holds rainwater into the rice crops. Highland farming is perfect for rice crops sxb.

rice%20fields.jpg

Jokes on you brother.

Wheat crop is grown in different types of soils ranging from desert soil to heavyclay soil. 2. Well drained, fertile clay loam soils having moderate water holding capacity are ideal for irrigated wheat.

Yes. However, you need a lot of water to produce rice and I believe it is Sanaag highlands.

In Somaliland, you have Sanaag region that has fertile highlands

32443635_1756923024386974_8845034234675462144_n.jpg

What you could do is follow an ancient Chinese tradition that saves and holds rainwater into the rice crops. Highland farming is perfect for rice crops sxb.

rice%20fields.jpg
It's true we need to revive the old rivers that used to flow through the north to the east.

MIRI%2520installed%2520middle%2520of%2520rice%2520field%2520in%2520MS-jhm.png
irrig-surge-valve-400px.jpg

images

same here looking to start with rice. It is actually grown in Jowhar. As for Wheat I will wait to produce it later because processing plants are expensive. For rice i don't need much machines remove the first layer off the rice. I got brown rice remove that and i got white rice. Simple as that. White rice is not bleached rice just rice with less nutrients. You can connect those tubes above to a river to flood your fields using a pump or the power of a tractor. You can produce more rice in the south using the rivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.