What Madhab/Domination of Islam do you follow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that some people in this site have their own interpenetration of Islam and worshipping Allah following certain types of Madhabs/Tariqas, for example @Amun is a Modern Quranist as he believes that Hadith are fabricated by Persians to give Muslims a bad-name which I truly disagree.

I'm a Sunni Sufi Qadiri Muslim with some Dervish, Naqshbandi, Muwahhid, Shafii and Maliki influences that I received from around me and kept, however I've been interested lately into incorporating some other elements from Jahriyya and Muridi teachings.

So yeah I'm cherry-picking from different Madhabs/Tarriqahs from around the Islamic World/Ummah and incorporating it into my own type of 'Ibadah', perhaps one day when I reach the typical old age I shall start my own Tariqah based on what I have learnt/experienced so that people could benefit from it.

You are in England right now right?
What do most somalis follow in the UK?

I'm currently in the UK for University but I actually originate/live in Sweden, what I noticed about Somalis here in the UK is that most follow Shafii, followed by Salafi (certain Wahabis among them) and lastly minorities being Sufis.

I'm currently in the UK for University but I actually originate/live in Sweden, what I noticed about Somalis here in the UK is that most follow Shafii, followed by Salafi (certain Wahabis among them) and lastly minorities being Sufis.

I thought as much, most are probably sunni shafi. But there is an alarming growing number of Salafism in their midst. What sparked this is what I want to know.

Last edited:
I thought as much, most are probably sunni shafi. But there is an alarming growing number of Salafism in their midst. What sparked this is what I want to know.

How is studying abroad btw? Once I graduate I'm thinking about doing the same.

My father raised me as a Sufi/Shafii mix, I'm glad I was never tainted by Salafis. But what I diffidently know is that 'Saudis' are responsible for spreading Salafism/Wahhabism among Somalis where they funded every single Somali organisation that promoted it, plus nearly all present-day Somali Imams received Islamic-Education from Saudi Arabia so therefore they became Salafis to extreme Wahhabis. As for decline in Sufism presently, Sufis around the world don't have much resources and support like before where Ottomans supported every single Sufi order and promoted Sufism throughout the Islamic World. But today Salafis/Wahabis took the seat where using their riches gained from Oil and being Allies to USA they promoted their Salafist/Wahhabist agenda everywhere throughout the Ummah bringing suffering and self-harm.

For studying abroad and university life, I'm liking it a lot where I currently consider it to be one of the best moments in my life. I literally enjoy everything from lectures, self-study, rep/chairman responsibilities, meeting new people, society activities, partying (halal version) to touring around the country!

At the moment i haven't chosen any madhab, i am Sunni and i just follow the Al-hadith and the Quran.The local masjid is very neutral and doesn't really follow a specific school. I might start investigating the different tariqas soon tho. Any recommendations?

I believe you should investigating some tariqas soon and forge your own path instead of sheep-following, because at the end of the day it comes from the 'Acmal' and 'Qalb' on how you wish to make 'Ibadah' to Allah.

My father raised me as a Sufi/Shafii mix, I'm glad I was never tainted by Salafis. But what I diffidently know is that 'Saudis' are responsible for spreading Salafism/Wahhabism among Somalis where they funded every single Somali organisation that promoted it, plus nearly all present-day Somali Imams received Islamic-Education from Saudi Arabia so therefore they became Salafis to extreme Wahhabis. As for decline in Sufism presently, Sufis around the world don't have much resources and support like before where Ottomans supported every single Sufi order and promoted Sufism throughout the Islamic World. But today Salafis/Wahabis took the seat where using their riches gained from Oil and being Allies to USA they promoted their Salafist/Wahhabist agenda everywhere throughout the Ummah bringing suffering and self-harm.

I agree.
That and the fact that many somalis before the civil war went to gulf states to work as business men and merchants. When they came back they contributed to the spread of Salafism. I guess from there Salafism spread then over to the somalis in the west recently.

But i think there is hope for sufism in somalia especially to return as it is being suppressed by alshabaab and takfiris. Once them and the dirty Damul jadid govt is outsted we will see a return inshallah.

For studying abroad and university life, I'm liking it a lot where I currently consider it to be one of the best moments in my life. I literally enjoy everything from lectures, self-study, rep/chairman responsibilities, meeting new people, society activities, partying (halal version) to touring around the country!

Thats sounds awsome. How are you managing your finances to or while you study abroad? Did you take a loan?

Last edited:
@Geeljire

Inshallah I really hope in my generation that Somalis will return drastically to Qadiri or Dervish Sufism like before, and that all types of takfiri will die off.

As for Uni-finances, I receive funding from both Swedish and UK governments in terms of grants and 'some' loans but I also receive funding from family and relatives who live here.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
I would say I'm a Sunni Muslim with Shafi'i and Maliki influences, but I self-identify as a Sufi. I'm currently exploring Quranist Islam and may jump ship soon. lol

I might start investigating the different tariqas soon tho. Any recommendations?

Sorry I forgot to give the 'recommendations' out, so what I recommend you should do is just like me. Read all the 'Kutub' about different 'Madhahib' and 'Tariqahs' cherry-picking best parts that you like, and incorporating it all into one self-made-tariqah! lol

I would say I'm a Sunni Muslim with Shafi'i and Maliki influences, but I self-identify as a Sufi. I'm currently exploring Quranist Islam and may jump ship soon. lol

Cool, but if you identify as a Sufi do you incorporate/follow some 'Tariqah' teachings into your daily life? If yes, what 'Tariqah' is it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts