What kind of business would you open in S/SL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaMaria

Education, Peace and Prosperity
Going to the homeland and opening a business is every somalis dream.:salute:

I would open a cinema/arcade in Borama, it wouldn't be that difficult to set up, only play PG 12 and bollywood movies so the sheikh in the town don't shut me down. Also, it would be good for broadcasting football matches, in 2014 I watched the world cup in borama on a 26" tv screen with a 100 people in someones garden :mjlol:

OR

a restaurant (an American diner or something) with really burgers and pizzas , there is a burger place in borama right now :drakekidding:and it was basically just mayo and cabbage.

If I had the money now or an investor I would go back this year and do it. :banderas:

What business would you open and where?
:cosbyhmm:

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
I'd go into the most profitable sector.

Qat.

$50,000+ per hectare?

Why are we importing old khat when we could grow and deliver fresh greens to your door?

I don't touch that stuff though and will look down on you when you buy from me.

Abdipapaya

لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الأَرْضِ
Camel milk is thd placetobenowe

Also no haram otherwise :nahgirl:

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
Making money on misery, no morals at all!

Qat should be banned, it will be unpopular, but after a generation or two it won't be a habit any longer.
wow:pachah1:

I agree with @Ali Dheere , khad isn't as popular with the younger generation and one of the worst aspects of somali society :nahgirl:

Want it to fade out but there'll be a huge market for it as long as the current green fiends are still around.

Why send all that money out the country?

Damn thing is so profitable that they fly out by plane for express delivery every day.

Morals kulaha... :stevej: that shit won't develop our country.:denzelnigga:

Kaleel

Staff Member
Administrator
The most profitable business is appealing to people's vices such as khat, tobacco and perhaps alcohol in the future. You can also exploit the natural resources that are above ground such as sand, stone, salt etc.

The problem with creating a service oriented business is that Somalia has a poor population and virtually no middle class. If you are trying to make a large profit it will be very hard.

RICH

The Qadr of Allaah ta’aala is always in our favor.
Going to the homeland and opening a business is every somalis dream.:salute:

I would open a cinema/arcade in Borama, it wouldn't be that difficult to set up, only play PG 12 and bollywood movies so the sheikh in the town don't shut me down. Also, it would be good for broadcasting football matches, in 2014 I watched the world cup in borama on a 26" tv screen with a 100 people in someones garden :mjlol:

OR

a restaurant (an American diner or something) with really burgers and pizzas , there is a burger place in borama right now :drakekidding:and it was basically just mayo and cabbage.

If I had the money now or an investor I would go back this year and do it. :banderas:

What business would you open and where?
:cosbyhmm:

My father also wants to start a dinner in Borama! Don’t even start about their “burgers” you will just het pieces of digaag when you order a damn chicken burger :gucciwhat:

Another thing I also really despise is their hygiene :nahgirl: Our dinner (I definitely want to be part of it in shaa Allah) needs to be clean af and you will find no cats running around :gucciwhat:

May Allaah make it easy for us to start something back home. Ameen.

I would open a place that breeds camels the horn has the largest population of camels in the world and sell them to these guys they are spending insane money on this

Interesting question op and nice choices although they dont sound too profitibale, its always good to follow your passion.

Being an engineering student, I hope one day inshaallah to use my skills to make people lives easier and to help with progress. I've never gave it too much thought exactly what kind of business it will be as of just yet.

But my father, owns an energy company and a building construction company back in Hargesia (where my family is from) alhamdulilah. I could instead use the skills I acquire to help my fathers business progress inshaallah.

But this is all a matter for another time.

Last edited:

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
Coffee, Somaliland is in the coffee belt between the tropic of Capricorn & Cancer so coffee can be grown...

I'm planning on going back this summer to lay the foundation stones for a project in have a few in mind but will pick closer to date

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
Gyms / Activity Centres for girls:
Our society is very male centric I see many times boys go out and hang with their friends and the little girls help mum make food.

Not anymore

I'd go into the most profitable sector.

Qat.

$50,000+ per hectare?

Why are we importing old khat when we could grow and deliver fresh greens to your door?

I don't touch that stuff though and will look down on you when you buy from me.
Too much water is used for khat. Somalis would farm themselves dry (like Yemen).

Everyone eats in SL whether rich or poor so I'd do something with cheap, affordable food that even the lower class can shop for.
Take in mind there's a very small percentage of middle class folks in Somalia. If your gonna do anything, it has to be something the lower class can buy as well.

The best you could do is going the agricultural route. These diaspora guys now produce strawberry in Burco!
Now the whole of Somalia can try delicious strawberries from our land. If they scale it, they can start exporting.
After exporting, the profits can be used to scale further and start making strawberry jam, syrups, smoothies, yoghurts etc.. possiblities are endless!
Now you've added value to your product and increased it's shelf life, you won't have to worry about having so many strawberries going bad.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
Too much water is used for khat. Somalis would farm themselves dry (like Yemen).

Not sure if desalinated water could be used in farming khat but that's an option.

Even at $2/3 per 1000 litres it's still viable with high value crops like khat.

However there are some surface water resources in the region that could cover a half a dozen hectares.

Not sure if desalinated water could be used in farming khat but that's an option.

Even at $2/3 per 1000 litres it's still viable with high value crops like khat.

However there are some surface water resources in the region that could cover a half a dozen hectares.
Desalinated water is low in magnesium and not as nutritious as normal water.

Status
Not open for further replies.