What is the source of the Somali word Adoon ?

Discussion in 'History' started by MARAQ DIGAAG, May 16, 2018 at 7:50 AM.

1. MARAQ DIGAAG

MARAQ DIGAAG

Ratings:
    +5,291
    While I was going through a PDF on loan words in the Cushitic languages , I have read one source suggesting a South Arabian ancient origin , which would be very interesting to say the least .

Anyone know the equivalent of slave , servant , etc , in other Cushitic languages ?

2. Somaliweyne Unionist

Somaliweyne Unionist Proud banu hashim man

Ratings:
    +2,402
    Which south arabian language was it derived from? Ge'ez?

3. Unstable

Unstable

Ratings:
    +566
    The Somali word Adoon derives from the Greek word Adonis. When the Arabs travelled to South East Africa they marvelled at the leanness of the African population and their physical prowess. They were impressed by their shape and their Adonis belt especially. And the Arab started to call them Adonis. And the Somalis over time changed the word Adonis to Adoon. Adoon originally wasn’t slur or a racist word, it was a name attributed slave population brought to Somali regions by Arabs as they didn’t have a name for it. When the Somalis asked for the names of these people, they were called Adonis, this is where the name originated from.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OmarAli

OmarAli Tall, Brown-Skin Caucasian

Ratings:
    +676
    There's a Somali word called "aniga" which means "me" so whoever gave us that word fooled us because whenever we say "me" in our language it's a nigger to another Somali

5. James Dahl

James Dahl

Ratings:
    +106
    I imagine it's derived from Abd and an Arabic loan word

6. MARAQ DIGAAG

MARAQ DIGAAG

Ratings:
    +5,291
    Aniga comes from the Cushitic pronoun System which also has similar variants in Semetic languages ( Arabic ANA, for instance ). The Etymology of the word Nigger comes from the Indo-European root word for black . Afrocentrics try to link it with the Ethiopian Negus or Niger/ia etc , but the words have different origins and the similar sounds are coincidental .

• Like Like x 1
  7. MARAQ DIGAAG

MARAQ DIGAAG

Ratings:
    +5,291
    • Like Like x 1
  8. James Dahl

James Dahl

Ratings:
    +106
    How do they differentiate substrate from arabic influence from the fact that they're both Afro-Asiatic languages?

9. MARAQ DIGAAG

MARAQ DIGAAG

Ratings:
    +5,291
    I am no linguistic but I read there are certain differences in South Arabian in comparison to other Semitic languages .

For example , the South Arabian Gemhel found its way to Cushitic which became Gaal/ Geel etc as the Cushites dropped the M . It’s still Gemhel in Ethiopic Semitic whereas it is pronounced with a J in Arabic .Likewise , the Soqotri word Degag found its way in northern Somali , not the Arabic dijaaj. The original Cushitic word is Dooro ( hen / chicken ).

https://lateralfricative.wordpress.com/category/cushitic/
    This guy has done a bit of research on the matter .

10. James Dahl

James Dahl

Ratings:
    +106
    It makes sense that particularly Himyarite dialect would have influenced Somali during the classical era, what with all the trade ports

11. MARAQ DIGAAG

MARAQ DIGAAG

Ratings:
    +5,291
    Does anyone know the equivalent word for Adoon in other Cushitic languages ?

I know the Oromos use the word Gebar or Gabar/a which comes by way of Amhara , referring to certain feudal practices against some communities .

The Habesha use the term Baria/ Bariya to mean slavery or blackness . It is the equivalent of the Somali term jareer, if not worse . Baria are actually a group of Nilotic people who were enslaved and/or overpowered by the Habesha . Habesha don’t consider themselves “ black “ , culturally speaking . It’s funny how the Afrocentrics give them a bias while the Somalis are attacked for being “ anti-black “.

12. MARAQ DIGAAG

MARAQ DIGAAG

Ratings:
    +5,291
    Indeed , so much focus has been on the Islamic-era migrations and exchanges between middle eastern and horn Africans , that we forget there was substantial trade and marriage on the coastal areas well before Islam .

13. James Dahl

James Dahl

Ratings:
    +106
    I imagine if you dug down far enough you'd find Egyptian loanwords too, Somalia was part of the classical world, historians just ignore everything south of Egypt.

14. MARAQ DIGAAG

MARAQ DIGAAG

Ratings:
    +5,291
    There are probably many . The only difficulty is to differentiate between a loanword or a one which has a proto-Afroasiatic origin .

Qorax seems similar to the Egyptian Sun god Ra.
    Dayax in Somali seems similar to the Egyptian moon good Iah or Yah .

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted