What is the perception of Djibouti by Somalis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a non-Somali who studied in France (the few East Africans there are from Djibouti, otherwise it's mainly North, West and Central Africans) I always wondered what were the relations between Somalis and Djiboutians. For example, what are the stereotypes about Djiboutians in Somali or in the Somali diaspora? Is it a respected country? etc…
Thanks.

brakenclaw

Stay real in the everything fake era
There no such thing as "dijboutians" their somali.... I like Djibouti its a humble country always keep to themselves wish they came up with a better name tho

As a non-Somali who studied in France (the few East Africans there are from Djibouti, otherwise it's mainly North, West and Central Africans) I always wondered what were the relations between Somalis and Djiboutians. For example, what are the stereotypes about Djiboutians in Somali or in the Somali diaspora? Is it a respected country? etc…
Thanks.

First off, Djiboutians are ethnic Somalis minus the minority ethnic Afars. Djiboutians are from the Issa subclan of the Dir clan but other Somali clans live there too but like the Afar, they are a minority. Djibouti is Issa clan territory. Djibouti = Issa. Other Somalis who live there don't have any clan ties to the land and just happen to live in the capital. It's a big city so naturally other people will live there. Other Dir subclans live all over Somalia and the occupied Somali region of Ethiopia. There are many Somalis from Somalia who are connected to the Issa through maternal ancestral lineage, like those Somalis living in Puntland or the Hawiye who live in South Somalia who are related to them paternally.

Djibouti relations with the other ethnic Somalis is as strong as other Somalis in Somalia or NFD or Somali region in Ethiopia. There is no difference. They are no different in anyway other than that subclan having their own country. We all marry one another and many of us have Djiboutian relatives. We are only separated by lines on a map but there is relatively free movement between us all. Many Somalis not originally from Djibouti have Djibouti passports without ever stepping foot in that country or living there and they use those passports to travel since the Somalia and Somaliland passports are toilet paper. Djibouti passports are also useless but not as useless as those other two.

The only stereotypes I can think of is their bootyclapping for the French and that their country is more liberal and that they are giant military base.

Very few Somalis ever think of Djibouti and they don't think of it as a foreign country. They just regard them as Issa Somalis.

They are respected like any other Somali.

Djibouti is awesome. Lovely people (better cooking) my mother is from there so I visit a lot. The only problem tho is the government is very corrupt and the place hasn't changed much in over the years, also unemployment is huge. I hope this incompetent dictator would be overthrown because the people of Djibouti deserve much better

Small, very hot, military bases, corrupt gov, nice people, made a good decision by not joining with somalia following their independence. Those are just the things that pop into my head when I think of Djibouti.

Ok, so they're kind of the lebanese in middle east? Pretending to be French kind of, or more "educated".
Also I never meet any Djiboutian pretending to be Somali…

Ok, so they're kind of the lebanese in middle east? Pretending to be French kind of, or more "educated".

Those are Afar tribe who are not Somali ethnic and are minority in Djibouti.

Djiboutians don't like being identified as Somali. They consider Somalis as uncivilized people.

Odeg

Gedo
I have afar relatives there and would like to visit someday but other then that I have no special perception of it.

Thanks.

The First Lady of Djibouti is from north Somalia

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
I've got most of my info from our family friend who's from Djibouti. Apparently it's very liberal and hot as f*ck. Apart from that I view it as a Somali country with potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.