What is the origin if the tile Garaad?

Som

VIP
In futuh al habasha we see many Adal sultanate chiefs who have the title garaad like garaad Abun for example, but I'm not sure if they are somali. It seems the term is used also for hadiya and harari chiefs.
Among Somalis Garaad is mainly a Dhulbahante tribal title.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Habar Awal also used garaad before they switched to Sultan under Sultan Abdulrahman. Warsangeli are also known to use Garaad and so do Dir sub-clans that live around Hararghe highlands.

I think it originated from Waqooyi because you have to remember the city of Zeila influenced Islam and other cultural aspects to the Ethiopian regions which are well documented. Garaad was historically employed during the Ifat and Adal period. When Ethiopians adopted our title they changed the sound to Al-Jaraad.

Last edited:
Hararis never used the title Garaad. They used Emir when they broke away from Adal Sultanate.
Hararis aren't the only Adere. Silt'e, Argobba, Hadiyya are Adere too. Muslim Habesha rulers from Shewa used the title before the Oromo and Christian Habesha conquered the area.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Hararis aren't the only Adere. Silt'e, Argobba, Hadiyya are Adere too. Muslim Habesha rulers from Shewa used the title before the Oromo and Christian Habesha conquered the area.

Hadiya are Cushitic, not Ethio-Semitic and I am aware they used the title but where are your evidence the others used garaad especially during the Shewa period?

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
No, the original Hadiya were Adere. They assimilated with other people. Hadiya groups exist in various modern ethnicities.

As for your question

You're just reading Wikipedia garbage edited by some Harari troll. He's the same one who claimed Karanle were linked to Harla people but Karanle are just like other Somalis when you check their paternal DNA. The Hadiya people were Cushitic highlanders related to Sidamo, Gadeoo, and Kambaata through both language and DNA.

Adere was a derogatory word used against Hararis but when they saw other Habesha Muslims they assumed they were Hararis too so they called them Adere but they're actually not Adere.

What's the title and number for the link you sent me?

Last edited:
Garaad = Intelligence

Garaad = Gar + aad = Seeker of Justice

Gar = Fairness, Justice Opposite is Gardarro = Injustice, aggression

Aad = Go, move towards

Garaad = Someone who combines both intelligence and fairness in their character, can dispense justice, trustworthy.

You're just reading Wikipedia garbage edited by some Harari troll. He's the same one who claimed Karanle were linked to Harla people but Karanle are just like other Somalis when you check their paternal DNA.
I don't know about any of that stuff. The only Somalis I know that are Adere in origin are Sheikhal.

The Hadiya people were Cushitic highlanders related to Sidamo, Gadeoo, and Kambaata through both language and DNA.

No, the old Hadiya Sultanate was established by the old Hadiya who were Habesha muslim from Shewa.

Adere was a derogatory word used against Hararis but when they saw other Habesha Muslims they assumed they were Hararis too so they called them Adere but they're not actually Adere.
Lol the Silte, Argobba, Hadiya, and some Oromo say they are of Adere origin.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I don't know about any of that stuff. The only Somalis I know that are Adere in origin are Sheikhal.

No, the old Hadiya Sultanate was established by the old Hadiya who were Habesha muslim from Shewa.

You failed to provide me the title and number for the link you sent me.

Even Sheikhaal are pure Somalis. They only claim to descend from Fiqi Umar who was Saudi Arabian. All Somali clans claiming Banu Hashim have been refuted by modern geneticists.

Hadiya Sultanate was established because it was located in the trade route between Zeila and Ethiopian highlands that's where these small Muslim states were popping up like Shewa Sultanate, Hadiya Sultanate, Bale Sultanate and etc. They merely served as chains for the caravan and Hadiya people happen to settle in between the trade route. Don't believe random edits made by trolls on Wikipedia because that is not what the original article said.

Hararis forged their owns traditions similar to Benadiris in the south by claiming other people's history but they have been discredited by modern historians as unhistorical.

By the way, Oromos and Abyssinians were confused about Hararis so they assumed Silte, Argobba, and Zay people were all Hararis (Adere). I'm aware Arsi Oromos even considered Hadiya people as Adere that's because back then Arsi weren't Muslims so they assumed any highland Muslims were Adere.

Last edited:

Som

VIP
Habar Awal also used garaad before they switched to Sultan under Sultan Abdulrahman. Warsangeli are also known to use Garaad and so do Dir sub-clans that live around Hararghe highlands.

I think it originated from Waqooyi because you have to remember the city of Zeila influenced Islam and other cultural aspects to the Ethiopian regions which are well documented. Garaad was historically employed during the Ifat and Adal period. When Ethiopians adopted our title they changed the sound to Al-Jaraad.
Interesting. So are the garaads mentioned in futuh ethnic somalis?

Even Sheikhaal are pure Somalis. They only claim to descend from Fiqi Umar who was Saudi Arabian. All Somali clans claiming Banu Hashim have been refuted by modern geneticists.
No they're not man lol. Sheikhaal have Ethiopian admixture in their DNA results.

Hadiya Sultanate was established because it was located in the trade route between Zeila and Ethiopian highlands that's where these small Muslim states were popping up like Shewa Sultanate, Hadiya Sultanate, Bale Sultanate and etc. They merely served as chains for the caravan and Hadiya people happen to settle in between the trade route. Don't believe random edits made by trolls on Wikipedia because that is not what the original article said.
No, Hadiya is located away from the highlands to Zeila route. It was on the other side of Shewa towards the west. I don't know what you're talking about.

Hararis forged their owns traditions similar to Benadiris in the south by claiming other people's history but they have been discredited by modern historians as unhistorical.
Source?

By the way, Oromos and Abyssinians were confused about Hararis so they assumed Silte, Argobba, and Zay people were all Hararis (Adere). I'm aware Arsi Oromos even considered Hadiya people as Adere that's because back then Arsi weren't Muslims so they assumed any highland Muslims were Adere.
This isn't true. Silt'e, Argobba, and hararis all come from Shewa. The Arsi Oromo you're talking about aren't even pure Oromo, they assimilated Habesha Aderes.

Som

VIP

The sheekhal claim isn't actually true. It's a myth. It's likely that Fiqi Umar was just an arab muslim teacher who spread islam and folks adopted his ancestry to associated themselves to the prophet.
And also Hadiya are known cushitic, they may have assimilated others but they were and stil are cushitic speakers.
Language has not much value when it comes to argobba, silte, hararis , oromos etc. They all mixed so much and changed language so many times that today you don't know who is who

The sheekhal claim isn't actually true. It's a myth. It's likely that Fiqi Umar was just an arab muslim teacher who spread islam and folks adopted his ancestry to associated themselves to the prophet.
I'm not talking about a myth.

Sheikhaal have substantial Ethiopian admixture, some even Oromo speaking.

And also Hadiya are known cushitic, they may have assimilated others but they were and stil are cushitic speakers.
The old Hadiya make up only a small part of the modern ethnic group called Hadiya. The old Hadiya were Adere Habesha.

Language has not much value when it comes to argobba, silte, hararis , oromos etc. They all mixed so much and changed language so many times that today you don't know who is who
We know Argobba, Silte, Harari come from Shewa and some Oromo are assimilated Adere too.

Trending

Latest posts