What is the Bajuni?

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
Can someone help me understand the “Bajuni Islands”? I know it’s a series of islands off the coast of Jubaland (near Kismayo) and that it’s settled by Swahili speaking residents.

That’s all Wikipedia provides, is there any history behind them?

A77E2F80-FE80-4436-85C9-6E60C3A07589.jpeg
3276328C-BB01-4BA4-8892-A268074C2819.jpeg

Som

VIP
The bajuni Island take their name from the bajuni people who inhabited southern Somalia and the coastal part of Kenya. Even Kismayo it's self was probably first settled by bajuunis who have been later replaced by Somalis. Kismaayo is infact deprived from swahili name.
Bajuunis have primarily Bantu and Somali ancestry with some Arab , south Asian and persian heritage too. There's one clan of the bajuunis who claims significant Somali ancestry.They speak a dialect of Swahili. The bajuni Island have been probably first settled by Bantu groups that mixed with Arab traders, in more recent times ethnic Somali clans settled in the Islands which now have substantial Somali population mainly Ogaadeen i believe.

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
The bajuni Island take their name from the bajuni people who inhabited southern Somalia and the coastal part of Kenya. Even Kismayo it's self was probably first settled by bajuunis who have been later replaced by Somalis. Kismaayo is infact deprived from swahili name.
Bajuunis have primarily Bantu and Somali ancestry with some Arab , south Asian and persian heritage too. There's one clan of the bajuunis who claims significant Somali ancestry.They speak a dialect of Swahili. The bajuni Island have been probably first settled by Bantu groups that mixed with Arab traders, in more recent times ethnic Somali clans settled in the Islands which now have substantial Somali population mainly Ogaadeen i believe.
Thank you for sharing knowledge brother 🙏

Damn, Absame really are landheer

What percentage of ethnic Somali land is theirs?

:cosbyhmm:

Hamzza

VIP
Damn, Absame really are landheer

What percentage of ethnic Somali land is theirs?

:cosbyhmm:
No Absame in the Bajuni Islands.
Some Harti have recently started to settle the Main Island, but the Islands are still uninhabited because of lack of water.

No Absame in the Bajuni Islands.
Some Harti have recently started to settle the Main Island, but the Islands are still uninhabited because of lack of water.

Absame’s mostly live on the coastal mainland but give it 40 more years and you will start seeing settlements on the island.

false. Ogadens arrived to kismayo before Bajunis

Som

VIP
Any evidence? Ethnic somalis reached the southern tip of Somalia (Kismaayo, ras kaambooni etc) kinda recently probably in the last 250-300 years. There's oral history of how somalis replaced the local Swahili/bajuunis and other small Bantu groups. The bajuunis themselves have these oral traditions

Saxib Bajun came before Ogaden in Kismaayo but Ogaden were the first ethnic somalis in Kismaayo.
Kismaayo is a bajuni word meaning the well with water.

Dont be like hutus who claim they created Xamar aka benadir when it was Omanis.

Trending