what is going on with somali women in Somalia? This is sad ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Mr. Nur

Aspiring Somali CEO ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ด
Women are taking dangerous pills to gain weight, having been shamed for being thin. [15:00+]

example:

"Maryam, who lives in Somalia, took medications she thought would make her body curvier. But instead, she ruined her health. "

Obesity in Africa is a โ€œticking time bombโ€, according to the World Health Organisation. The WHO predicts that in some countries on the continent, one in five adults will be classed as obese by the end of next year. Being obese means that one has excess fat which can affect one's health and raise the risk of suffering heart diseases, diabetes and cancer. However, in Somalia there's a growing trend amongst women to gain weight. For some women in that country, big is beautiful and attractive. Some are even misusing over-the-counter medication to achieve that feat putting their health at risk. Bushra Mohammed tells us about this growing trend and the serious health implications it is having on some of these women.

my thoghts on this is first thing isI'm not hating since it's their body, but it's scary for the non-educated Somalis taking these pills and not knowing what the pill is used for and not for weight gain. I hope they understand. I don't know who is behind this pill trend for our Somali women back home in Somalia, but it's scary, wallahi. I hope the Somali women can speak about this issue, which will hurt our Somali women and affect our community, leading to medication/obesity. Subhanallah may Allah help them this is not healthy it make it worser.

During her first trip back home, my sister saw many young Somali women who were skinny. However, when she went back after six months, she saw that many of her peers, relatives, and friends had become obese/fat. This was due to a pill being taken by Somali women in Somalia to look more attractive, but it made things worse for them in the long term, both physically and mentally. The use of fattening drugs can result in complications such as menstrual disorders, kidney failure, changes in body proportions, and stomach ulcers
. Increased interest in the use of high-calorie nutrition supplements for children to boost weight gain has also been observed among Somali parents
. It is important to note that weight gain pills can have adverse effects and may not be safe for everyone

I encourage you to watch this video first, then reply with your thoughts so we can avoid misunderstanding.

People trying to change their genders through operation, people increasing their height through operation and now people taking dangerous pills to gain weight.
:kanyehmm:

I had cousins here who were drinking apetamine like five years ago. Itโ€™s not a new thing so why are people acting like itโ€™s breaking news. Even in Somalia, women were making concoctions to gain weight as far back as 2016 when I went. Nothing new here. They are human and are affected by the same societal pressures as women here in the west.

If men werenโ€™t interested in this look, I doubt many would feel the need to do it so intensely.

Mr. Nur

I had cousins here who were drinking apetamine like five years ago. Itโ€™s not a new thing so why are people acting like itโ€™s breaking news. Even in Somalia, women were making concoctions to gain weight as far back as 2016 when I went. Nothing new here. They are human and are affected by the same societal pressures as women here in the west.

If men werenโ€™t interested in this look, I doubt many would feel the need to do it so intensely.
I don't mean to reply to you like this so forgive me but

Why bring men into the issue when it's a societal push from other women with kilos pushing this through other women who are less in kilo? I see this not as a men's problem but a women's problem within our Somali community. It's sad that somali women thinks being fat or skenny is nice when 99% of men don't even care about body weight. as long as your average In fact, it's the opposite here in the West. Since when was being obese and killing your health the beautiful standard norm? Lol.

Yaraye

VIP

Why bring men into the issue when it's a societal push from other women with kilos pushing this through other women who are less in kilo? I see this not as a men's problem but a women's problem within our Somali community. It's sad that somali women thinks being fat or skenny is nice when 99% of men don't even care about body weight. as long as your average In fact, it's the opposite here in the West. Since when was being obese and killing your health the beautiful standard norm? Lol.
men set the beauty standard :sass2:

My grandma used to get teased when she went to school in hargeisa for being a little bit chuby in her pre-teens, I saw her pictures and she wasn't even that fat but in her time being qalanjo ment being slim. I remember asking her how she finds the modern day somali beauty standards all she could do was sigh lmao funniest phonecall.

Mr. Nur

My grandma used to get teased when she went to school in hargeisa for being a little bit chuby in her pre-teens, I saw her pictures and she wasn't even that fat but in her time being qalanjo ment being slim. I remember asking her how she finds the modern day somali beauty standards all she could do was sigh lmao funniest phonecall.
This might hurt some people, but I think that being skinny and fit should be the norm. It should have been the norm today. I don't want every 1-5 Somalis being obese like here in the West. I'd rather see our community skinny and fit, not gonna lie

Yaraye

VIP
I like the chubby or average beauty standard not obese. :holeup:

This might hurt some people, but I think that being skinny and fit should be the norm. It should have been the norm today. I don't want every 1-5 Somalis being obese like here in the West. I'd rather see our community skinny and fit, not gonna lie
Here in the west? Only America struggles with obesity in the Netherlands I barely see any chubby people let alone overweight people. Healthy slim, tall and fit body types are a sign of a wealthy and developed nation, there is a reason why obese women are praised in poor countries.

Last edited:

Men are a part of the problem here. Iโ€™m speaking honestly. Some men pay more attention to that kind of women with extra weight as thatโ€™s their preference. Which is fine as theyโ€™re entitled to their preference. That will undoubtedly affect some women who want to attract similar men. The other women encouraging this only do it cause they feel itโ€™s the way to get more attention in that society. it might have worked for them or others around them. There could be other reasons why other women encourage it though. Idk

itโ€™s similar to the women who got the bblโ€™s here or other plastic surgery to enhance their assets. Itโ€™s not as drastic or as easily accessible to them. If it was, Iโ€™m sure some would do it even if religiously itโ€™s not allowed.

Mr. Nur

Men are a part of the problem here. Iโ€™m speaking honestly. Some men pay more attention to that kind of women with extra weight as thatโ€™s their preference. Which is fine as theyโ€™re entitled to their preference. That will undoubtedly affect some women who want to attract similar men. The other women encouraging this only do it cause they feel itโ€™s the way to get more attention in that society. it might have worked for them or others around them. There could be other reasons why other women encourage it though. Idk

itโ€™s similar to the women who got the bblโ€™s here or other plastic surgery to enhance their assets. Itโ€™s not as drastic or as easily accessible to them. If it was, Iโ€™m sure some would do it even if religiously itโ€™s not allowed.

Thanks for the information. I would say that men back home agree, but Somali men in the West are different. They don't focus on body weight, to be honest. However, I see and can understand where you're coming from in your point of view on the topic.

One of the poorest countries on the planet while facing an obesity epidemic lmao, truly the worst of both worlds

Last edited:
One of the poorest countries on the planet while facing an obesity epidemic lmao, truly the worst of both workds l
Funniest thing. The country is supposed to face the biggest famine & starvation then you see bleached fat women walking around lol

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
This just shows the dichotomy between Diaspora somalis and somalis back home.

in the land of fast food and endless opportunity to gain weight. A woman who hold back from the low urges are seen as regal and beautiful
IMG_1278.png
IMG_1279.jpeg

In a nation where food insecurity exists a woman who is chubbier shows signs of wealthy and upper class upbringing.
IMG_1280.png
IMG_1281.png

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
Historically the beauty standard for men and women were to be skinny
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Internet Nomad

VIP

Trending

Latest posts