What are the effects of Somalia not having a writing script until very recently

How does this affect vocabulary on more abstract topics like science and math, how do Somalis convey historical records and complex thoughts??

Last edited:
It makes it very easy for foreigners to write scandalous false stuff when you don't record your own history.
Somalis didn't really face this too much like other africans, but writing is great to stir nationalism
You kinda need writing for cultural development like in philosophy and science, future generations will read past writings and add on their own findings.

Apollo

VIP
They used various versions of the Arabic script before the Latin one. Moreover, even in ancient societies with scripts before the 1700s the vast majority couldn't read or write. Mass literacy is only a thing of the 20th century and beyond.

PS. This sounds like a suspect question only an Ethiopian Habesha would ask to lowkey boast. Are you an Ethiopian? @AbdullahHussein

They used various versions of the Arabic script before the Latin one. Moreover, even in ancient societies with scripts before the 1700s the vast majority couldn't read or write. Mass literacy is only a thing of the 20th century and beyond.

PS. This sounds like a suspect question only an Ethiopian Habesha would ask to lowkey boast. Are you an Ethiopian? @AbdullahHussein
mass illiteracy =/= negate the limitations oral langauge puts on society also stated full lineage in a thread couple days ago lol

also I know wadaad but I never see actual things written in it except that one stone tablet and letter

Paper records were destroyed. Moreover, in every society with scripts the majority of people did not read or write before 1900.
In some European societies and in Colonial U.S. they reached mass literacy in the 1730s or before, but I wouldn't be surprised if European historians are just whitewashing it for nationalist purposes.
Their definition is being able to write your name on documents, so doubt most could read.

1633970834137.png

1633970952164.png

look into issa sumado, reer issa kept it alive in sitti, for traditional purposes, if in the future somalis do archeologic digs , this will be syntax used in ancient tablets or scripts

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
The idea that Somali didn’t have a script until 1972 is a lie.

The wadaad script was used for centuries but the majority of Somalis were illiterate and relied on oral communication.

However, in the aftermath of independence, Somalia decided that now that mass education can be achieved in the Somali language, which writing script should we use.

The Latin script was chosen over the Somalised Arabic script because every educated Somali at the time was schooled in Italian or English, thus a familiar adjustment.

The wadaad script was used for centuries but the majority of Somalis were illiterate and relied on oral communication.

However, in the aftermath of independence, Somalia decided that now that mass education can be achieved in the Somali language, which writing script should we use.

The Latin script was chosen over the Somalised Arabic script because every educated Somali at the time was schooled in Italian or English, thus a familiar adjustment.

Have you found excerpts of anything written with wadaad? I searched a lot but I could barely find anything, I assume it was because most sheikhs who were literate just wrote in plain arabic as a lot migrated to middle eastern countries to study like Egypt.

reer

VIP

also the typewriters were in italian and english. english and italian typewriters dont have ëäö so we use eeaaoo double letters instead.

Trending

Latest posts