What’s A Horrible Name To Name Your Child?

I always wonder is this new generation gonna name their kids Abdi? I feel like millenial and Gen z Somalis are gonna be naming their kids with more Somali names
I’ve actually seen so many of these younger aged Somali familes ( people in their 30s ) name their daughters Cadaan names or non Somali names, or just Arabic names that I’ve never heard of.

They probably think they being unique. When I asked one Somali couple about the interesting choice in their kids name ( one daughter was named Elsa ? Lmaooo ), they said ..

“We don’t want them to face issues with having a tradional Muslim or Arabic name and we wanted them to have unique names.”

Elsa isn’t unique lmaooo. How many white women named their daughters Elsa and Anna after the frozen movie came out lmaooo ?

Imagine caring so much about the gaalo, that you chose a name like them, cause you don’t want your kids to have a Muslim name.
Talk about assimilation and cooning.

I’ve actually seen so many of these younger aged Somali familes ( people in their 30s ) name their daughters Cadaan names or non Somali names, or just Arabic names that I’ve never heard of.

They probably think they being unique. When I asked one Somali couple about the interesting choice in their kids name ( one daughter was named Elsa ? Lmaooo ), they said ..

“We don’t want them to face issues with having a tradional Muslim or Arabic name and we wanted them to have unique names.”

Elsa isn’t unique lmaooo. How many white women named their daughters Elsa and Anna after the frozen movie came out lmaooo ?

Imagine caring so much about the gaalo, that you chose a name like them, cause you don’t want your kids to have a Muslim name.
Talk about assimilation and cooning.
Whaaaat “Elsa Abdi” :drakewtf: at least go with one that’s Somali/Arabic like Sahra/Sarah or Adam lmao. I can see why they chose a “westernized” sounding name but you can also do one that appeals to both cultures without completely abandoning your identity. Elsa is a horrible name imo

The worst Somali name! Wait are you ready Shuun
Oh gosh it is !!!!!!! When I was in Mogadishu they explained to me how it means pubic hair in the south, but in northern Somalia such as Somaliland, they use it as a name.
So they laugh their asses off hearing someone with that name.

Whaaaat “Elsa Abdi” :drakewtf: at least go with one that’s Somali/Arabic like Sahra/Sarah or Adam lmao. I can see why they chose a “westernized” sounding name but you can also do one that appeals to both cultures without completely abandoning your identity. Elsa is a horrible name imo
I find it interesting how the half Somali kids I know or have seen by these younger women will have a Muslim name and be close to the deen and culture, but I’ve been seeing so many of these younger married Somali couples that I mentioned above caring too much about the white man and in their words … “future job prospects” or how their name will look on a resume. Smh.

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
I would advise Muslim humans in general to stop naming their girls Sumaya. It is so annoying. I can't even cross the street without some mum calling a Sumaya to hurry up smh
i know a family with quadtruplets, all girls, named salma, safa, sumaya, and Samira 💀

bidenkulaha

GalYare
This could’ve been a thread of the best names :manny:

I personally will add a name I actually like and was nearly named, Nuh.

Nasteexo.
I don’t know if that’s how you sleep it but it’s a pretty awful name to have especially if you live in a western countries. This one woman I know with that name struggles and suffers in her workplace Miskeen.
Thats a pretty name. How can they not pronounce it? They probably playing stupid wallahi.

Thats a pretty name. How can they not pronounce it? They probably playing stupid wallahi.
Listen….. people who aren’t Somali are going to pronounce it the way it’s spelled which unfortunately sounds pretty bad. So you cant expect non muslims or non Somalis to be able to pronounce that name exactly right.

She would have to constantly correct people and they even would ask her .. how to exactly pronounce correctly it in order to not offend her or say it the wrong way, Miskeen lol.
At least people consistently asked her on how to correctly say it.

Listen….. people who aren’t Somali are going to pronounce it the way it’s spelled which unfortunately sounds pretty bad. So you cant expect non muslims or non Somalis to be able to pronounce that name exactly right.

She would have to constantly correct people and they even would ask her .. how to exactly pronounce correctly it in order to not offend her or say it the wrong way, Miskeen lol.
At least people consistently asked her on how to correctly say it.
Are they illiterate cause I can pronounce hundreds of foreign names (Spanish, Italian, Croatian, etc) without a single stutter.

Are they illiterate cause I can pronounce hundreds of foreign names (Spanish, Italian, Croatian, etc) without a single stutter.
Sir, that’s good you can, but just cause you can pronounce all these different foreign names… doesn’t mean you should expect others to do so easily with other names.

Hell with my name which is super simple … I’ve got folks till this day asking if they’re pronouncing it correctly.

A name like nasteho or nastexo… unfortunately not everyone will pronounce it with the Somali pronunciation ? Like come on, not everyone is able to pronounce names with ease such as yourself.

My cousin also knows of another girl with that name that had to change it to a different Somali name with a N. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
Are any of you niggas gonna name your kids abdi?
tituss burgess no GIF by The Webby Awards

id rather name it larry or jacob before any of the abdi variants :mjlaugh:

Nasteexo.
I don’t know if that’s how you sleep it but it’s a pretty awful name to have especially if you live in a western countries. This one woman I know with that name struggles and suffers in her workplace Miskeen.
I don’t know if that’s how you pronounce it I meant lol.

Trending