Were Somalis Pagans before Islam or did we have a history of following other Abrahamic faiths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
@Abdisamad

Lip plates are not ancient culture.

They started doing it somewhere in the Middle Ages to protect themselves from slave traders and then it stuck around.

Like what?
I really don't know but Whatever was there before the Cataclysm must have been marked with such. All that is needed to decipher it is us as Africans to seek out true origins.
@Abdisamad

Lip plates are not ancient culture.

They started doing it somewhere in the Middle Ages to protect themselves from slave traders and then it stuck around.
Expound please. Slavery allegedly started in the 18th century while the middle ages began in the 9th century up to 14th century.

Apollo

VIP
I really don't know but Whatever was there before the Cataclysm must have been marked with such. All that is needed to decipher it is us as Africans to seek out true origins.

Expound please. Slavery allegedly started in the 18th century while the middle ages began in the 9th century up to 14th century.

The slave trade between East Africa and the Arab world has been going on since late Roman times. There was a revolt of black slaves near Kuwait somewhere in the 800s CE..

The slave trade between East Africa and the Arab world has been going on since late Roman times. There was a revolt of black slaves near Kuwait somewhere in the 800s CE..

Mainstream History will tell you our people were slaves for the longest time possible. Real History will tell you our people were the cradle and guardians of Civilizations.
"Seek and you shall find, and when you find you'll be troubled, after you are troubled, you'll be amazed and you'll rule over them all" said Jesus ( not the christian Jesus).

Apollo

VIP
Seek and you shall find, and when you find you'll be troubled, after you are troubled, you'll be amazed and you'll rule over them all

There is a big difference between the occasional slavery that happened since time immemorial everywhere and targeted racial slavery that only really happened relatively late in history. Some Nilote tribes who were targeted excessively at the Western edge of Ethiopia started using lip plates to stop the slave traders.

So it isn't some ancient cultural practice that ought to be respected.

There is a big difference between the occasional slavery that happened since time immemorial everywhere and targeted racial slavery that only really happened relatively late in history. Some Nilote tribes who were targeted excessively at the Western edge of Ethiopia started using lip plates to stop the slave traders.

Lip plates are worn by women right? Most useful slaves are men while women are there just to produce more slaves. So how does a lip plate prevent slavery??

Apollo

VIP
Lip plates are worn by women right? Most useful slaves are men while women are there just to produce more slaves. So how does a lip plate prevent slavery??

Arabs used female slaves as household maids. In fact, this was the most sought after slave by Arabs. They didn't have plantations to work on like what happened in the Americas.

Arabs used female slaves as household maids. In fact, this was the most sought after slave by Arabs. They didn't have plantations to work on like what happened in the Americas.
What about the Men? And does that explain the dark skin complexion nature of the modern Arab?

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
Were somalis all pagans before Islam or were there Christian (like orthodox) or Jewish communities? It would have made sense considering our proximity to Ethiopia & the Middle East. Thoughts?

also why is it seen as ceeb to wonder what our religion was before Islam? I don’t see it is a big deal just acknowledging our history
Somalis are ethiopians that became muslim and decided to leave their people and create a new etnicity

Apollo

VIP
What about the Men? And does that explain the dark skin complexion nature of the modern Arab?

They used male slaves as well, but they died off faster and had to be ''replenished'' at a faster rate.

There are Sub-Saharan African origin minorities all over the Arab world, even in Israel, Iran, and Pakistan.

The tribes with the lip plates are Surmic not Nilotic; they just happen to be related to Nilotic tribes through the Nilo-Saharan phylum.

The only Nilotic tribes in Ethiopia are the Nuer and the Anyuak...relatively newcomers to Gambella.

Apollo

VIP
The tribes with the lip plates are Surmic not Nilotic; they just happen to be related to Nilotic tribes through the Nilo-Saharan phylum.

The only Nilotic tribes in Ethiopia are the Nuer and the Anyuak...relatively newcomers to Gambella.

I should have been more specific, sorry for that. Lip plates were a rare phenomenon that only occurred in a handful of tribes.

Some people wrongfully believe that it was some kind of prevalent ancient African practice which it wasn't. It even got featured on Black Panther as such.

I should have been more specific, sorry for that. Lip plates were a rare phenomenon that only occurred in a handful of tribes.

Some people misbelief that this was some kind of prevalent ancient African practice which it isn't. It even got featured on Black Panther as such.

No worries at all, mate; you actually cleared up the misconceptions around that practice and I appreciate that.

People routinely accord primitive practices an ancient mystique that is just not warranted.

I know that this may sound authoritarian, but I would be in support of banning that cultural practice; I would extend this ban to tooth avulsion and tribal scarification -- particularly for those under the age of 18.

The tribal conceptualisations of beauty should all be swept away and replaced with ones that are more modern, and popular media will be central to this.

No worries at all, mate; you actually cleared up the misconceptions around that practice and I appreciate that.

People routinely accord primitive practices an ancient mystique that is just not warranted.

I know that this may sound authoritarian, but I would be in support of banning that cultural practice; I would extend this ban to tooth avulsion and tribal scarification -- particularly for those under the age of 18.

The tribal conceptualisations of beauty should all be swept away and replaced with ones that are more modern, and popular media will be central to this
Use of force is the way to go in favor of modern cultures which will be obsolete too in the future, right?

Use of force is the way to go in favor of modern cultures which will be obsolete too in the future, right?

You need to use a great deal of structural and direct force in order to move a Country forward in the initial stages; traditionalist and those that profit from the old order will oppose you -- and they'll need to be confronted.

The law replaces crude violence once a Nation has reached a certain level of modernisation.

Last edited:
You need to use a great deal of structural and direct force in order to move a Country forward in the initial stages; traditionalist and those that profit from the old order will oppose you -- and they'll need to be confronted.

The law replaces crude violence once a Nation has reached a certain level of modernisation.
Crude violence was not present in Africa until the White Man showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending