weird thing ive noticed about somali (women) back home, any answers???

I've had this thought before but forgot about until earlier when I saw a tweet that reminded me of it again..... why do Somali women hate being recorded?

I dont know if this is a recent thing or not, because I've been visiting Hargeisa forever and never seemed to have noticed this, but this could be attributed to my lack of awareness, or the locals not being accustomed to technology much and thus not being as cautious and borderline scared of it as they seem to be now. When I most recently visited Hargeisa, none of my family, apart from the immediates like 1st Aunts/Uncles and grandparents, didn't want to take photos with me, or even me take it off them. Even when I wanted to take random videos of things like sights etc that happened to have women in the background, you could see their eyes catch the camera then cover their face/look away/walk in opposite direction. I never asked why as only saw it as peculiar after I left. Is it due to xishood/modesty - in this case, why not a niqab?

The tweet I saw was of this girl on my TL who was in a beach that looked like a Mogadishu one, and she was taking a panomaric stye video, and you could see, weirdly, Somali girls accidentally in the shot quickly scurrying away, whilst the guys in it too don't care much. I also remember seeing it in the late Hodan (Aun) 's video vlogs when she was in Las Anod I believe and was interviewing random habos and they were all hesitant to appear on film, or if they did they acted very unnatural and wary - do they know of Social media and fear it or are overly protective over their privacy unlike the majority of women? Have women back home been told or fed tales about being on camera and the negativities surrounding it, causing this paranoia? I am in no means saying random somali women need to be recorded, but just wanted to ask if anyone else noticed this and if this is normal or has some explanation for it, as somali women living in the west/out of somalia, regardless of age or extent of religiousness, are not like this.

(apologies if this has been asked before, couldnt find any prior discussions about this so link if you can thnks)

Trending