Weird Haplogroup ?

Enthusiasts come in.

Found this relative on 23andme with this HG.
Any possible idea to how he got it.

He’s 95.5% Somali & 4.5% Ethiopian & Eritrean.

Attachments

• ACC49BEC-890A-43A8-AFD3-2B30C9B93ED6.jpeg
    ACC49BEC-890A-43A8-AFD3-2B30C9B93ED6.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 274

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
1629279758880.png

23andme is trying to make it unnecessarily confusing. I'm not very sure but my guess is he could be a Somali that has an older T lineage.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Yeah, he may just be T-L162* or of some brother clade to L208. I can't imagine why they'd not just list him as L208 if that was his clade.

They are sort of lazy when it comes to listing subclades. For some people they report T-M184, others T-L208 and so forth.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
You should contact this saxiib if you can convince him to get a Yfull test. If he really is T-L162* then that could be a game changer as we now have a Somali T carrier who is upstream of nearly all the MENAs and Euros Somalis share the clade with. And if it's 23andme just being lazy then I guess that's just another useful Somali L208 saxiib on the tree.

Enthusiasts come in.

Found this relative on 23andme with this HG.
Any possible idea to how he got it.

He’s 95.5% Somali & 4.5% Ethiopian & Eritrean.

Not weird at all.

23andme are not efficient when updating haplogroups as an acquaintance who belongs to the same FTDNA subclade is identified as the older T-M70 subclade on 23andme.

Pretty confident the fellow you listed will come under a Somali downstream subclade if he got tested on Ftdna, probably the Samaron/Isaaq subclade considering his clan background.

Trending