We Should’ve Mobilized The Somali-Community

LibaanSom

From Kismaayo
During April-December of 2021, there has been massive Ethiopian protests taking place all over the US, especially in the capital of Washington D.C.

This happened during the peak of the Ethiopian Civil War, so I think you might be getting why these protests happen.

what if I told you, both sides of the war came to these protests? And no, they weren’t on opposing sides screaming at eachother. Obviously they were both chanting opposed beliefs, but at the same time gave the same message.And that was to tell America to f*ck off.

Ethiopians only boast a population of 250k as of 2020 (including DDS .) We boasted a similar population (in Minnesota alone) in 2016. Completely disregarding Washington, Massachusetts, and Ohio.

but no, qabiil is more important.

qabiilkan ayaa i dilay

qabiilkan ayaa i wasay

its embarrassing sometimes I wonder if we’d have even half these problems we face today if it weren’t for qabyalad. Thanks for listening to my TedTalk.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
12BE3914-018D-41C3-B5A5-46EC2AF8EB48.jpeg

54725518-F30B-4C21-BE1F-304EF400F45C.jpeg

bidenkulaha

GalYare
What would they be protesting though? I don’t see any immediate grievances with America unlike the civil war in Ethiopia where I’d say America has managed to be unhelpful to both sides

Protesting in 21st century is quite sad. Unless you got hundreds of thousands on the streets wreacking havoc for weeks, you might aswell write a twitter post. No one in pentagon is going to change their policy because few thousand poor immigrants are on the street.

LibaanSom

From Kismaayo
Protesting in 21st century is quite sad. Unless you got hundreds of thousands on the streets wreacking havoc for weeks, you might aswell write a twitter post. No one in pentagon is going to change their policy because few thousand poor immigrants are on the street.
Eh, if that were true then protests wouldn’t happen at all don’t ya think?

We need a Somali lobby. It needs to be formed by a non-bias group of young Somalis who can move, mobilize and organize Somalis in the West and build stronger ties within the community and diaspora, clearly qabil is a dying trend for us who grew up in the West so it is possible. If we are able to lobby for Somalis/Somalia's interested (whether it's in PL, SL, Ogaden, Djibouti) it would be amazing. I believe we can do it.

Look at how the Armenians are able to use their lobbying power to get politicians on social media to post about them and large news organization to talk about them and their problems. Despite being only 3 million in population, they are overrepresented in this area. Even the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi visited Armenia today due to their influence

The good thing is we have Somalis in the US, Canada, UK, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Germany, so we are not limited to just the US like Armenians or Jews. Imagine we are able to use politicians and officials from these countries in unison to speak out against countries like Ethiopia and Kenya when try to mess with us? i.e. try to steal our fish or resources/land?

LibaanSom

From Kismaayo
We need a Somali lobby. It needs to be formed by a non-bias group of young Somalis who can move, mobilize and organize Somalis in the West and build stronger ties within the community and diaspora, clearly qabil is a dying trend for us who grew up in the West so it is possible. If we are able to lobby for Somalis/Somalia's interested (whether it's in PL, SL, Ogaden, Djibouti) it would be amazing. I believe we can do it.

Look at how the Armenians are able to use their lobbying power to get politicians on social media to post about them and large news organization to talk about them and their problems. Despite being only 3 million in population, they are overrepresented in this area. Even the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi visited Armenia today due to their influence

The good thing is we have Somalis in the US, Canada, UK, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Germany, so we are not limited to just the US like Armenians or Jews. Imagine we are able to use politicians and officials from these countries in unison to speak out against countries like Ethiopia and Kenya when try to mess with us? i.e. try to steal our fish or resources/land?
We are too divided still, remove qabiil, Somalis are more divided politically then qabiil wise imo. Puntland wants Federalism, Central want Centralism, Somaliland want secession, it’s too much of a mess.

there’s a Somali mahmaah(saying); "Dadku waa isku muq, haddana waa kala maan."

People look alike, but differ in outlook (POV).

Overall your right, and I do believe it’s a trend that’s slowly rotting as our odayal die off.

LibaanSom

From Kismaayo
For what exactly?
America, (or the west as a whole really) likes to meddle in our ‘affairs’ a lot. I am just frustrated why Somalis are so quick to point a finger at eachother, wether that’s tribe or region, before pointing at the guys who caused it.

in the near future that is, if america tries to interfere in Somali affairs like it did in 06, we should stop them from doing so. We have the numbers.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

You aren’t lying wallahi.

That’s why the BLM protests were so effective, they were willing to throw the entire country to shit.

We are too divided still, remove qabiil, Somalis are more divided politically then qabiil wise imo. Puntland wants Federalism, Central want Centralism, Somaliland want secession, it’s too much of a mess.

there’s a Somali mahmaah(saying); "Dadku waa isku muq, haddana waa kala maan."

People look alike, but differ in outlook (POV).

Overall your right, and I do believe it’s a trend that’s slowly rotting as our odayal die off.
I think within this generation in the diapora/west Qabil will be not an issue, I honestly cringe hard when I hear odeys talking about Qabil in Somali stores and cafe shops, I'm sure many others share the same sentiments. I just think we, who live in the West should be the ones who advocate and start lobbying here for the interest of Somalis back home, we can start we can start with small things such as getting western politicians to talk about waste dumping on Somali coast line, Somalis facing discrimination in the NFD and Ogaden and NGO pests draining this country, things that are universally agreed among Somalis no matter what political positions they have. Things like that these will help create good faith and trust