We Don't Have highly successful High School graduates, let's claim this chick as ours.

She is Sudanese/Eritrean and they are less than 15% of the Somali population in Melbourne. The results of this year's high school certificates has just been released and the stories of the high achievers (students especially those from the public schools) have been published. Since no Somali student has achieved the desired score to get into law/engineering or medicine, let's claim this chick as ours.

Malaz Mohamed-Bakhit's home is no silent study retreat.

"I come from a massive family. Even outside the six in my place, all my aunts, uncles and cousins live in the same apartment building as me," explains the 17-year-old Collingwood College year 12 graduate.

0e360da2b00d08d05642380120c08063e9d1b612

Malaz Mohamed-Bahkit, pictured on Thursday, is set to become the first person in her family to attend university, after achieving a 97.35 ATAR.Credit:Eddie Jim

"Everyone’s always roaming in and out of the homes. Because I’ve grown up around that, I’ve learnt to work with a lot of noise. But this year my room was my safe haven – no one was allowed in if I was studying."

Malaz's mother moved to Melbourne in the 1990s from Eritrea, her father from Sudan. Her three siblings are aged 16 to three. Malaz takes some time to count her extended family before landing on the total: 20.

We all live literally on top of each other. It makes days like today nice and easy, because I get to go home and see all of them at the same time."

26111ae6c7169251e365f08a0e7281dd8b8b1572

Malaz seen two years ago at Collingwood College, which she attended since kindergarten. Credit:Jason South

Her relatives will be celebrating – Malaz is the first person in her family to go on to tertiary education, having achieved an ATAR of 97.35. She is confident she will be able to study at Melbourne University.

Malaz has lived in Collingwood, in Melbourne's inner-east, all her life. Her mother is a childcare worker and her father runs his own jewellery business.

She attended state school Collingwood College since kindergarten and celebrated her score at school on Thursday with the teachers she's had since year 7.

"It’s genuinely my home. Since I’ve been there so long, you get to know everyone: people who are in and out of school, classmates."

Her desire to work in criminal law doesn't come from CSI or true-crime podcasts.

"I guess I’ve lived in an area where, for example, there’s a lot of people who have issues with drugs and alcohol," she says.

"In year 10 I did work experience with Fitzroy Legal Service. We went to a neighbourhood justice centre and ... the reoccuring issue was they [the court] weren't rehabilitating people, they weren't giving them opportunities to stop coming back."

This year, while her 16-year-old brother worked part-time at McDonald's – the same one Malaz previously worked at – she committed to an average of five hours post-school study every day, boosted by her scholarship from the Skyline Foundation.

Malaz says she had forgotten simple things like seeing workmates and fronting up for shifts. They're simple pleasures, she now realises.

"It’s a really, really, really, stressful year," she says.

"I know I’ve been really lucky because I’ve been doing tests and exams like this since year 9, but some of my friends haven’t. Ahead of knowledge and skills, it’s testing whether someone can sit in a room for 3½ hours, and for some people that’s really difficult.

"If I could have it my way, the exams wouldn’t exist; you’d find some other way to test students."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...r-chance-to-make-a-noise-20191212-p53jfw.html

She comes from this project in which many of it's residents are Somalis. She found the recipes of the great escape. Congratulations girl.

upload_2019-12-13_15-50-35.jpeg

She is Sudanese/Eritrean and they are less than 15% of the Somali population in Melbourne. The results of this year's high school certificates has just been released and the stories of the high achievers (students especially those from the public schools) have been published. Since no Somali student has achieved the desired score to get into law/engineering or medicine, let's claim this chick as ours.

Malaz Mohamed-Bakhit's home is no silent study retreat.

"I come from a massive family. Even outside the six in my place, all my aunts, uncles and cousins live in the same apartment building as me," explains the 17-year-old Collingwood College year 12 graduate.

0e360da2b00d08d05642380120c08063e9d1b612

Malaz Mohamed-Bahkit, pictured on Thursday, is set to become the first person in her family to attend university, after achieving a 97.35 ATAR.Credit:Eddie Jim

"Everyone’s always roaming in and out of the homes. Because I’ve grown up around that, I’ve learnt to work with a lot of noise. But this year my room was my safe haven – no one was allowed in if I was studying."

Malaz's mother moved to Melbourne in the 1990s from Eritrea, her father from Sudan. Her three siblings are aged 16 to three. Malaz takes some time to count her extended family before landing on the total: 20.

We all live literally on top of each other. It makes days like today nice and easy, because I get to go home and see all of them at the same time."

26111ae6c7169251e365f08a0e7281dd8b8b1572

Malaz seen two years ago at Collingwood College, which she attended since kindergarten. Credit:Jason South

Her relatives will be celebrating – Malaz is the first person in her family to go on to tertiary education, having achieved an ATAR of 97.35. She is confident she will be able to study at Melbourne University.

Malaz has lived in Collingwood, in Melbourne's inner-east, all her life. Her mother is a childcare worker and her father runs his own jewellery business.

She attended state school Collingwood College since kindergarten and celebrated her score at school on Thursday with the teachers she's had since year 7.

"It’s genuinely my home. Since I’ve been there so long, you get to know everyone: people who are in and out of school, classmates."

Her desire to work in criminal law doesn't come from CSI or true-crime podcasts.

"I guess I’ve lived in an area where, for example, there’s a lot of people who have issues with drugs and alcohol," she says.

"In year 10 I did work experience with Fitzroy Legal Service. We went to a neighbourhood justice centre and ... the reoccuring issue was they [the court] weren't rehabilitating people, they weren't giving them opportunities to stop coming back."

This year, while her 16-year-old brother worked part-time at McDonald's – the same one Malaz previously worked at – she committed to an average of five hours post-school study every day, boosted by her scholarship from the Skyline Foundation.

Malaz says she had forgotten simple things like seeing workmates and fronting up for shifts. They're simple pleasures, she now realises.

"It’s a really, really, really, stressful year," she says.

"I know I’ve been really lucky because I’ve been doing tests and exams like this since year 9, but some of my friends haven’t. Ahead of knowledge and skills, it’s testing whether someone can sit in a room for 3½ hours, and for some people that’s really difficult.

"If I could have it my way, the exams wouldn’t exist; you’d find some other way to test students."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...r-chance-to-make-a-noise-20191212-p53jfw.html

She comes from this project in which many of it's residents are Somalis. She found the recipes of the great escape. Congratulations girl.

View attachment 84405

Congratulations to her !! Her parents must be super proud.

MashaAllah that's really good. The ATAR is a standardized exam in Australia that is probably the most important consideration in being accepted in undergraduate programs there. Her score of 97.35 means she beat over 97% of 17 year olds in Australia on this exam. She wants to attend The University of Melbourne - it's a top 20 school in the world and is Australia's equivalent of a top-tier Ivy league school.

It's unfortunate how many good people on here are making fun of an inspirational African Muslim girl because of her skin colour

Last edited:

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
MashaAllah that's really good. The ATAR is a standardized exam in Australia that is probably the most important consideration in being accepted in undergraduate programs there. Her score of 97.35 means she beat over 97% of 17 year olds in Australia on this exam. She wants to attend The University of Melbourne - it's a top 20 school in the world and is Australia's equivalent of a top-tier Ivy league school.

It's unfortunate how many good people who I really like on here are making fun of an inspirational African Muslim girl because of her skin colour

I know. We live in a scary judgmental world. :(

High school? Even the bums that smoke weed in the bathroom graduate high school here, what’s this @AussieHustler

@NotMyL

No one fails high school here, if you get an ATAR score of ZERO, you will be told that you finished High School, it is what score you got that enables you into university and what degree you can study. For example, that girl is the Dux of her school, she got the highest ATAR score and she achieved a score of over 97%. Only Jewish students from Jewish private schools, Asian students and Aussie students from well established Anglican schools achieve that kind of a score and higher scores than her. No one fails high school.

Trending