Wagar, Fertility and Phallic Stelae: Cushitic Sky-God Belief and the Site of Saint Aw-Barkhadle in S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambar

VIP
I heard the story of Aw Barkadle, he was the forefather of the Yibir clan. My grandmother told me the story and she said when Sh Ishxaaq arrived in Somaliland he challenged Aw Barkadle to prove his magic was greater than the power of Allah swt and he lost. He perished. Some say he just disappeared and did not die and that Yibir don't die they simply disappear. Now every time a son is born one must pay Yibir blood money for the death of Aw Barkadle their son may die or get some kind of defect. Yibir then give the son an amulet to protect the child from the evil eye. Although Somalis are Muslims they clearly retained their superstitious practices.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
I heard the story of Aw Barkadle, he was the forefather of the Yibir clan. My grandmother told me the story and she said when Sh Ishxaaq arrived in Somaliland he challenged Aw Barkadle to prove his magic was greater than the power of Allah swt and he lost. He perished. Some say he just disappeared and did not die and that Yibir don't die they simply disappear. Now every time a son is born one must pay Yibir blood money for the death of Aw Barkadle their son may die or get some kind of defect. Yibir then give the son an amulet to protect the child from the evil eye. Although Somalis are Muslims they clearly retained their superstitious practices.

I didn't know the whole story but i heard the Yibir collecting their fees "Samaayo" because of some curse!

Do they still collect?:cosbyhmm:

Although I'm not sure Aw Barkadle was Yibir, why would they call him the saint if he practiced some sort of sorcery?

Gambar

VIP
I didn't know the whole story but i heard the Yibir collecting their fees "Samaayo" because of some curse!

Do they still collect?:cosbyhmm:

Although I'm not sure Aw Barkadle was Yibir, why would they call him the saint if he practiced some sort of sorcery?
He was allegedly a soothsayer and Yibir speak a secret language. They sound like fables who knows how true this is. I've heard people still pay offerings.

Madara x

Sleep soundly
Lol what's with this woman pushing this phallic narrative? They are just regular gravestones.

You're confusing Aw Barkhadle with Bucur Bucayr, the ancestors of Yibir.

Aw Barkhadle arrived in Hargeisa where he killed Bucur Bucayr and brought Islam to the region. He's considered a saint and people visit his grave regularly.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
Lol what's with this woman pushing this phallic narrative? They are just regular gravestones.

You're confusing Aw Barkhadle with Bucur Bucayr, the ancestors of Yibir.

Aw Barkhadle arrived in Hargeisa where he killed Bucur Bucayr and brought Islam to the region. He's considered a saint and people visit his grave regularly.

I asked around and found out he was a local sxb! Yeaa he was the one who killed Bucur bucayr but one thing I don't understand is that if this incident happened somewhere in the north why did Somalis even from south used to compensate the Yibir tribe? Could it mean all Somali tribes settled in the north sometime back? :hmm:

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
Lol, stop hating. You should be happy that we have Islam. Ethiopia would have probably consumed us by now and made us convert to Roman Catholicism.

The last thing we need is kissing arab ass. Somali will be cleansed,soon rather then later.:cool:

I asked around and found out he was a local sxb! Yeaa he was the one who killed Bucur bucayr but one thing I don't understand is that if this incident happened somewhere in the north why did Somalis even from south used to compensate the Yibir tribe? Could it mean all Somali tribes settled in the north sometime back? :hmm:
Yeah it's well known Somalis originated in the north. They came to the south and replaced the Oromos that lived there.

Lol, stop hating. You should be happy that we have Islam. Ethiopia would have probably consumed us by now and made us convert to Roman Catholicism.
Yes our ancestors accepted Islam willingly. Btw just to let you know, the habesha practice orthodox Christianity which in some aspects is similar to Islam cause they follow the old testament.

Keo

VIP
Yes our ancestors accepted Islam willingly. Btw just to let you know, the habesha practice orthodox Christianity which in some aspects is similar to Islam cause they follow the old testament.
Orthodox Christianity my backfoot.

Looking for Jesus every Sunday? Is that really Orthodox Christianity? Then it is in no way, shape, or form similar to Islam.
:siilaanyolaugh::siilaanyosmile:

Keo

VIP
Hence why i said "in some aspects".
:russsmug:

Example: they dont eat pork.
My grandmother and my aunt once travelled to Ethiopia. They saw Ethiopians carrying some Somali man with long hair because they thought he was Jesus, apparently he resembled Jesus.
:chrisfreshhah::drakelaugh:
I didn't know they look for Jesus every Sunday. When I went back to Somalia my grandmother told me about the story and I was like:
:heh:

They were carrying the poor Somali man for 2 hours.
:mjlol:
She told me so many stories about what Ethiopians do. kkkkk

My grandmother and my aunt once travelled to Ethiopia. They saw Ethiopians carrying some Somali man with long hair because they thought he was Jesus, apparently he resembled Jesus.
:chrisfreshhah::drakelaugh:
I didn't know they look for Jesus every Sunday. When I went back to Somalia my grandmother told me about the story and I was like:
:heh:

They were carrying the poor Somali man for 2 hours.
:mjlol:
She told me so many stories about what Ethiopians do. kkkkk
:dead::deadpeter:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Yeah it's well known Somalis originated in the north. They came to the south and replaced the Oromos that lived there.

Somalis originated in the Lake Chamo region of southern Ethiopia. Somalis then moved out east and north following the coast and the various river valleys of southern Somalia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chamo
The back migration of some Somali clans south gives the illusion of Somalis having originated in the north. This back migration is relatively recent and has been going on for less than 250 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending