• This website is being maintained/upgraded and may have some downtime or errors.

Victim mentality amongst Somali youth

Teach your kids to love their sub-clan unconditionally and they won't be mind raped and have any thoughts of victimhood. Western nations are very generous to immigrants/refugees and treat them better than any Arab or Asian would ever do.

Somalis need to teach their kids that yes we’re black, but we’re Somali first. Somalis should only worry about ourselves and that’s it.

So many Somalis I know seem to think we’re African Americans. I had a friend who complained about white people not giving black people a break when it came to discrimination. She said something like “we went through how many years of slavery and we’re still getting discriminated against?”
Guys I was fucking shocked :jaynerd:
HAHAHAHHAA

Nigerians do the same even though they're the ones who sold them to the Caadans.

Shmurda

Nothing is ever yours, it's only your turn.
Got to teach them Somali history from a young age. Somali parents don't teach their kids our tariikh so the only knowledge of history they get is from school which is just a bunch of eurocentric bullshyt saying all Africans got enslaved etc etc. I don't blame them they don't know better and most times they don't take the initiative to learn their own history in depth

This thought came to mind because I saw a post about someone going on a rant about how standardized tests (MCAT, GRE, LSAT) are classist and how marginalized students are at an extreme disadvantage. They also kept talking about all these hardships they faced in grad school, and attributed their problems to mainly being black, Somali and Muslim.

I just think that some of these people that are the most outspoken and wish to represent Somalis have a hidden agenda, which is to instill a sense of victimhood among the youth. They approach everything with a negative mindset and are constantly defensive. It’s exhausting to witness.

Another thing I’ve noticed with people who push this narrative of victimhood, is that they give so much power to white people. If you’re a believing Muslim, then you should understand the notion of tawakkul; putting your trust in Allah. Not in the hands of white people.
Love This

Desert Flower

I Specialize in Buuq iyo Qeylo.
VIP
Religion, culture, education, work ethic, and a good perspective should be instilled in kids from early on. A strong constitution is what they need to deal with the world and become successful.

Victimhood mentality is an effective form of self-sabotage. Make sure your kids take nothing for granted and that they must take ownership of their failures and not blame it on the system/government. There are billions of people in the world that don't have access to these institutions, so they're stuck in their unfortunate situation while these spoiled people complain about not being privileged enough.
I just think it’s inauthentic. Let’s be real, Somalis are black and Muslim. We aren’t liked because of this (especially in Caribbean spaces). I feel like I have to always prove my blackness. Not to mention, there’s this underlying message that I need to abandon my deen in order to be accepted. Dadkaan don’t like us period.

I want Somalis to think for themselves. To uplift themselves and better their community first. Let’s not beg other people to accept us. They will never do that. Work hard and become something. Don’t see everything as “Oh they’re out to get me.” There’s this notion among people that black people have it so hard and that they face racism 24/7. Not accurate.

hodon

Unprofessional Therapist
VIP
This thought came to mind because I saw a post about someone going on a rant about how standardized tests (MCAT, GRE, LSAT) are classist and how marginalized students are at an extreme disadvantage. They also kept talking about all these hardships they faced in grad school, and attributed their problems to mainly being black, Somali and Muslim.

I just think that some of these people that are the most outspoken and wish to represent Somalis have a hidden agenda, which is to instill a sense of victimhood among the youth. They approach everything with a negative mindset and are constantly defensive. It’s exhausting to witness.

Another thing I’ve noticed with people who push this narrative of victimhood, is that they give so much power to white people. If you’re a believing Muslim, then you should understand the notion of tawakkul; putting your trust in Allah. Not in the hands of white people.
okay I see. its also kind of awkward to see that since we weren't brought here by force. this country is not really made for muslims/ people of color so we should just take advantage of the opportunities here and we can go back to our own place inshallah or just stay here and keep our heads down. we have a lot of problems we need to fix in our own community first before worrying about outside problems

Jimmer

Negro Nunca Papi X Hooyo Matalo
I just think it’s inauthentic. Let’s be real, Somalis are black and Muslim. We aren’t liked because of this (especially in Caribbean spaces). I feel like I have to always prove my blackness. Not to mention, there’s this underlying message that I need to abandon my deen in order to be accepted. Dadkaan don’t like us period.

I want Somalis to think for themselves. To uplift themselves and better their community first. Let’s not beg other people to accept us. They will never do that. Work hard and become something. Don’t see everything as “Oh they’re out to get me.” There’s this notion among people that black people have it so hard and that they face racism 24/7. Not accurate.
We're not the same race as j@reers. :nvjpqts:

I can't relate to this. Africans here have mutual respect, and Somalis don't need to trade off their culture or identity to be accepted by any other minority. This problem comes from social media that are dominated by English speaking countries.

I agree with the second paragraph. Some people tend to exaggeration the problems.

Desert Flower

I Specialize in Buuq iyo Qeylo.
VIP
I can't relate to this. Africans here have mutual respect, and Somalis don't need to trade off their culture or identity to be accepted by any other minority. This problem comes from social media that are dominated by English speaking countries.

I agree with the second paragraph. Some people tend to exaggeration the problems.
It’s more subtle. Non-Somali blacks only accept you as long as you’re black. Beyond that, they won’t.

BobSmoke

Organized wareer
Western Somali upbringing is a bitter experience one way or the other. Best way to describe it is : "You get what you get and don't get upset"