• This website is being maintained/upgraded and may have some downtime or errors.

Victim mentality amongst Somali youth

Somalis need to teach their kids that yes we’re black, but we’re Somali first. Somalis should only worry about ourselves and that’s it.

So many Somalis I know seem to think we’re African Americans. I had a friend who complained about white people not giving black people a break when it came to discrimination. She said something like “we went through how many years of slavery and we’re still getting discriminated against?”
Guys I was fucking shocked :jaynerd:

Jimmer

Negro Nunca Papi X Hooyo Matalo
Two things:

1) Fathers need to be in their lives, it's very important for identity.

2) Teach your kids to have a superiority complex towards others. (Unfortunately) reality is believing your better, special than others is a very important recipe of success. All successful groups Jewish, Chinese, Indians, Lebanese, Igbo (Nigerian) have superiority complexes. It's necessary for collective uplifting of Somalis.

Desert Flower

I Specialize in Buuq iyo Qeylo.
VIP
This thought came to mind because I saw a post about someone going on a rant about how standardized tests (MCAT, GRE, LSAT) are classist and how marginalized students are at an extreme disadvantage. They also kept talking about all these hardships they faced in grad school, and attributed their problems to mainly being black, Somali and Muslim.

I just think that some of these people that are the most outspoken and wish to represent Somalis have a hidden agenda, which is to instill a sense of victimhood among the youth. They approach everything with a negative mindset and are constantly defensive. It’s exhausting to witness.

Another thing I’ve noticed with people who push this narrative of victimhood, is that they give so much power to white people. If you’re a believing Muslim, then you should understand the notion of tawakkul; putting your trust in Allah. Not in the hands of white people.

Last edited:

Desert Flower

VIP
Two things:

1) Fathers need to be in their lives, it's very important for identity.

2) Teach your kids to have a superiority complex towards others. (Unfortunately) reality is believing your better, special than others is a very important recipe of success. All successful groups Jewish, Chinese, Indians, Lebanese, Igbo (Nigerian) have superiority complexes. It's necessary for collective uplifting of Somalis.
I don’t agree with superiority complex, but definitely instilling a sense of competency and self esteem is important.

@Desert Flower Another way to look at it is to consider the current paradigm. Claiming yourself as a victim in the academic setting is an effective way of gaining influence and power due to current university dynamics. Also, people whose jobs depend on there being a supposed oppression of black people or other minority groups will constantly find examples that justify their employment.

Yukon_Niner

Civic nationalism is de way
VIP
@Desert Flower Another way to look at it is to consider the current paradigm. Claiming yourself as a victim in the academic setting is an effective way of gaining influence and power due to current university dynamics. Also, people whose jobs depend on there being a supposed oppression of black people or other minority groups will constantly find examples that justify their employment.
Just take advantage of it

Desert Flower

VIP
You’re right. I wasn’t referring to academia specifically, but in more general. Yes, white privilege and white supremacy exist, but at some point one needs to understand that those who push this ‘woe is me’ agenda are in it for themselves. Whether that’s fame, clout, or to be the dominant voice in a movement. It isn’t authentic is what I’m trying to say.

Yukon_Niner

Civic nationalism is de way
VIP
Nah I’m not talking about diversity scholarships or affirmative action. More like ‘everyone is racist and if you don’t like me it’s because you’re racist.’
Oh that? There ain't much of those in real life, they're just really loud about it.

I don't know I guess, just tell em to shut the fuck up.

Desert Flower

VIP
It’s not in Somalis nature to have a victim complex, but I’m seeing it more and more with the youngsters. They’re taking on the burdens of others, and view the world with pessimism. It’s as if you’re not angry 24/7, then you’ve aligned with the oppressor.

Somalis have their own unique identity: we are Muslim and we are Black. We cannot divorce one from the other.

Somalis dont work as hard as indians, jews, chinese and nigerians. They cant keep blaming the system.

How can someone complain about standardized testing, thats the fairest form of testing.

Desert Flower

VIP
Somalis dont work as hard as indians, jews, chinese and nigerians. They cant keep blaming the system.

How can someone complain about standardized testing, thats the fairest form of testing.
Something about how it’s bias. How can the Krebs cycle be bias? (MCAT) or finding a flaw in an argument (LSAT) be classist? Some people talk just to hear the sound of their own voice really. It’s a poisonous way of thinking and living.

Something about how it’s bias. How can the Krebs cycle be bias? (MCAT) or finding a flaw in an argument (LSAT) be classist? Some people talk just to hear the sound of their own voice really. It’s a poisonous way of thinking and living.
Forget them. Focus on improving your life.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
When you feel like a victim you tend to not take action and then you don’t have to risk for example rejection or failure. To break out of this loophole we must first address our weak culture and parents which is the result of all this.

The black community are notorious for playing victims and when Somalis associate themselves with blacks that is where this victim mentality comes from. It all goes down to Somalis having no sense of identity. For example, Somalis seek attention and validation from the black community. They want to be part of this wider community and this is due to their low self-esteem. They're too busy focusing on black politics and black identity. They don't acknowledge their Somali identity and don't even want to associate with it because they feel it's embarrassing. That's why you have young Somalis fetishizing Ajnabis because they want to cleanse their Somaliness.

As @Jimmer said Somalis need to have some pride. We need our parents to teach our kids about their rich culture and history so they can be proud of who they are. We need to stop associating ourselves with the black community. Nothing against them but you're Somali, full stop. We need to stop being lenient towards interracial marriages. We need to teach our kids to have some self-respect then we wouldn't be seeing loud or embarrassing Somalis on the internet. We would be lowkey and progressive like the other Muslim communities and inshallah, we get there.