US Senator blocking Finland NATO memebership

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Conservative Kentucky Senator Rand Paul has long opposed Nato enlargement and suggested that the Russian invasion of Ukraine was justified.
'

An outspoken Republican senator is set to delay American approval of Finland's Nato application, which must be approved by all 30 Nato member countries.
Sen. Rand Paul from Kentucky has called for the United States to ignore Nato's Article 5, which automatically guarantees US aid to another member country that is under attack. He argues that any such action must require congressional approval.
Paul is pushing for the Senate to vote on an amendment to that effect – which has little support – before voting on the Nato applications of Finland and neighbouring Sweden.
That could delay the vote on the applications until after the legislature's summer recess, which is to begin on 8 August.

1659038473964.png

Well I guess Finland now regrets not jumping into NATO bandwagon in 90s and early 00s. Russia was a joke back then it had no way to stop all those Eastern European countries from joining aswell.

But I guess now is also a prime opportunity to jump into NATO, since there is no way Russia is willing/capable to open another frontier.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Well I guess Finland now regrets not jumping into NATO bandwagon in 90s and early 00s. Russia was a joke back then it had no way to stop all those Eastern European countries from joining aswell.

But I guess now is also a prime opportunity to jump into NATO, since there is no way Russia is willing/capable to open another frontier.
At that time, they had a big since of neutrality, the ussr was gone, everything seemed bright, so they didn’t want to get engaged to an international military alliance.

If you had asked about joining nato in 2005 or 2015 the answer would have been 60% absolute no, the rest either yes or can’t decide.

Now after Russia started acting like USSR they seem they were wrong, or some of the population seem regretting not joining nato.