Unmarried couple with no children. Man ordered to pay 10 years of support

Lool Canada really sucks. They screwed this man hard. I wouldn’t blame him if he killed her

TORONTO — A wealthy businessman will have to pay more than $50,000 a month in spousal support for 10 years to a woman with whom he had a long-term romantic relationship even though they kept separate homes and had no children together, Ontario’s top court has ruled.

Under Ontario law, an unmarried couple are considered common-law spouses if they have cohabited — lived together in a conjugal relationship — continuously for at least three years. But that doesn’t necessarily mean living in the same home, the court found.

“Lack of a shared residence is not determinative of the issue of cohabitation,” the Appeal Court said. “There are many cases in which courts have found cohabitation where the parties stayed together only intermittently.”

The decision comes in the case of Lisa Climans and Michael Latner, both of Toronto, who began a romantic relationship after meeting in October 2001. At the time, she was 38 and separated with two children, court records show. He was 46 and divorced with three children.

Although they maintained their separate homes, Latner and Climans behaved as a couple both privately and publicly. They vacationed together. He gave her a 7.5-carat diamond ring and other jewelry that she wore. She quit her job and would regularly sleep at his house. They travelled together and talked about living together.

Latner proposed several times and Climans accepted. He often referred to her by his last name. However, he insisted she sign a marriage contract and came up with several drafts. She refused.

Throughout their relationship, the two kept separate bank accounts and never owned property in common. Nevertheless, Latner gave Climans thousands of dollars every month, a credit card, paid off her mortgage and showered her with expensive gifts. He provided her and her children with a “lavish lifestyle,” the court found.

“Theirs was a committed relationship,” the Appeal Court said.

When their 14-year relationship finally broke down in May 2015, Climans asked the courts to recognize her as Latner’s spouse and order him to pay her support. He argued she had been a travel companion and girlfriend, nothing more. As such, he said, they were never legally spouses and he owed no support. An eight-day trial ensued.

In her decision in February 2019, Superior Court Justice Sharon Shore sided with Climans. She ruled they were in fact long-time spouses, finding that despite their separate home, they lived under one roof at Latner’s cottage for part of the summer, and during winter vacations in Florida. Shore ordered him to pay her $53,077 monthly indefinitely. Latner appealed.

The higher court leaned heavily on Shore’s analysis, finding she was right to conclude cohabitation can occur even when the parties stay together intermittently.

The Appeal Court did find Shore had made an error in deciding how long Latner would have to pay Climans support based on when they first began cohabiting. While Shore had found that to be almost from the get-go, the higher court said it wasn’t earlier than their first stay together at his cottage, meaning they didn’t reach the threshold for indefinite payments.

Instead, it ordered him to pay her support for 10 years.

Climans and her lawyers declined comment. Lawyers for Latner did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Shmurda

King Of NSFW
You can't have both things akhi either vote liberals which are bias to minorities and women or vote conservative which appeal to neither :damnmusic: :tocry:

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
Sometimes I think there's an agenda at play to mindlessly incite. Isn't it weird? I know some women are going to perform olympic mental gymnastics and a bunch of guys that will never touch 50k will froth at the mouth.

You can't have both things akhi either vote liberals which are bias to minorities and women or vote conservative which appeal to neither :damnmusic: :tocry:
It’s a hard one. Conservative are racist and liberals are degenerates. Sadly as marriage rate is going down this will become even more normal in liberal countries. Anyway to screw men. Like I said this is justifiable kill

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
It’s a hard one. Conservative are racist and liberals are degenerates. Sadly as marriage rate is going down this will become even more normal in liberal countries. Anyway to screw men. Like I said this is justifiable kill

WW3 will reset gender norms

Shmurda

King Of NSFW
I agree If I was him I'm killing her like lamb and running back home

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
This is terrifying news for any man in the West, it will be the norm for girlfriends to take half of your assets after spending 1 or 2 years in the relationship.

They gon have to catch me before I fold for some shit like that tbh
D81DD471-AC09-4F0D-A842-4B4F229A2305.gif

The west is trying to destroy the family nucleus. Who needs a man when the government will replace them as provider, the division of labour is broken by government intervention, and feminism tells them they can have it all.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
ALL of you above don't have to worry because u aint & never had girl friends.

Word.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Just mortgage your assets to the hilt and if you lose half in divorce the ex also takes half the debt with no way to pay for it.

The woman got used to a certain lifestyle when she was in relationship with him. I think the outcome would be different if he treated her as gf/booty call.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
It does . Marriage contracts in London signed in Mosques have recently found to be legally binding. So they treat it just like any other marriage if she takes you to court .
That doesn't sound right but I wouldn't be surprised since it's Londonistan.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
See now this just makes me want to hit it and quit it even more.

The west has become an oppressive place for men.
:kanyehmm:

Trending

Latest posts