Underrated Scientists Who Made Solid Contributions

I don't expect this thread to garner much attention from the current crop of forum members but ... There is always a possibility of great talent in lurkers like me, so go ahead and tell me who you have come to find out is behind some great contributions in math and science but is underrated or never gets credit for their work.

I recently found out that the equations of Maxwell as they are known now were not in reality equations Maxwell himself wrote as they are today. It was a guy by the name Oliver Heaviside who shortened 20 equations of Maxwell into today's Maxwell equations. And he never gets credit from mainstream.

What about you? Any findings of such great talents buried by prejudice or conflict they had with their elites in their time of life?

Last edited:
I give another recognition to all past, present and future Somalis for giving birth to Egyptian Pharaohs who built lasting monuments and gave the world 360 days calendar.

Venetian

Civic Nationalist | Horn Unionist
People who make the initial discovery are given more credit than people who improvements. The former is much more difficult.

Another Scientist totally denied the accolade for her integral part of the discovery of the DNA helix shape was Rosalinda Franklin. Without her X-ray work and development of a picture she took in the research lab, the theory would have remained conjecture much longer. Watson and his partner(who were the only credited researchers for the discovery) used to show this picture after they took it out of Rosalinda's files without her permission to others to prove their conjecture on DNA code arrangement. Her work gave the actual evidence for the theory but never got recognition for her contribution.

People who make the initial discovery are given more credit than people who improvements. The former is much more difficult.

Depends or depended on the situation and era in which the discovery was made. If you were poor white, a female, or non-white, your papers wouldn't be published. Your inventions wouldn't come to the market easily.

A good example was Oliver Heaviside who was very poor, Nikolai Tesla was very poor and died lonely in his room. Thomas Edison cheated Tesla who not only created the Alternating current generator but worked and perfected on the DC generator Thomas Edison owned.

Edison hired Tesla to work for him and promised patent and money, he gave non and claimed the work. Edison used to electrocute Life Animals including an Elephant in public and terrify Americans about the danger of AC instead of DC. As Americans generally are, greed ruled his day and he used his wealth to miss-educate and lie to the public so America wouldn't convert to AC use.

Venetian

Civic Nationalist | Horn Unionist
Depends or depended on the situation and era in which the discovery was made. If you were poor white, a female, or non-white, your papers wouldn't be published. Your inventions wouldn't come to the market easily.

A good example was Oliver Heaviside who was very poor, Nikolai Tesla was very poor and died lonely in his room. Thomas Edison cheated Tesla who not only created the Alternating current generator but worked and perfected on the DC generator Thomas Edison owned.

Edison hired Tesla to work for him and promised patent and money, he gave non and claimed the work. Edison used to electrocute Life Animals including Elephant in public and terrify Americans about the danger of AC instead of DC. Like Americans are generally are, greed ruled his day and he used his wealth to miss-educate and lie to the public so America wouldn't convert to AC use.
Life was never fair sxb. I wouldn't be so idealistic.

Life was never fair sxb. I wouldn't be so idealistic.

Merely pointing out facts in history and how we ended up with what he have today. I like to know where I can, who is behind something or an idea so great and whether those making the claim are the real brain power behind their fame, success or prominence.

Also, one fact I learned in the history of science class, human progress was never a monopoly of an exclusive race and region but facts accumulated over millenniums and through many failures from different generations.

I never saw in paper Einstein acknowledge his x-wive's collaboration with him on developing some of his famous theories.

In modern times, people are forced to list the names of contributors to their work.

Another giant who recently got recognition for his contribution to modern physics is the Muslim Scientist by the name Ibnul- Haytham who wrote The Book of Optics in 1011.

Ibnu Haytham is recognized to be:

- Polymath
- First to suggest vision occurs when light leaves objects and comes to the eye(the opposite was the main theory before his suggestion and he theorized this while he was jailed in Egypt by Shia ruler)
- An early proponent of the idea that hypothesis must be supported by an experiment

The brother was Genius and touched on Calculus, Geometry and Number theory just to name a few of his contributions and interests.

Now, how many of you who either graduated from college, in college or studied something ever heard this much about Ibnu Haytham?

Lise Meither. I remember reading about her awhile back when studying about nuclear fission for my IGCSEs. She was an Austrian physicist who helped discover nuclear fission. Some German dumbass called Otto Hahn she was working with was the first to conduct experiments on nuclear fission, but couldn't explain his results.

She was able to understand the results of the nuclear reactions and wrote and published a paper on it being the first person to use the word "fission" in nuclear physics.

But guess who got the Nobel prize? Hahn.

Lise Meither. I remember reading about her awhile back when studying about nuclear fission for my IGCSEs. She was an Austrian physicist who helped discover nuclear fission. Some German dumbass called Otto Hahn she was working with was the first to conduct experiments on nuclear fission, but couldn't explain his results.

She was able to understand the results of the nuclear reactions and wrote and published a paper on it being the first person to use the word "fission" in nuclear physics.

But guess who got the Nobel prize? Hahn.

Nice.