Turkey signs oil and gas exploration deal with Somalia

All true but we should still keep in mind that Turkey is still not a true ally and that they have done shady things in the past to us. The sooner they finish helping the sooner they can leave
View attachment 319515
It exists but I’m gonna be 100 with you. Nbdy cares about their corruption when they train our soldiers to defend ourselves, pay their salaries, save us from famine, give us access to great healthcare in Mogadishu, give us mogadishu port revenue which is a lot for FGS, want to build a spaceport here, give us the best oil deal we’ve seen. So I disagree with sooner they can leave, as far as I can tell from their past actions, letting them stay 50 years would be transformative for us.

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
All true but we should still keep in mind that Turkey is still not a true ally and that they have done shady things in the past to us. The sooner they finish helping the sooner they can leave
View attachment 319515

Your source’s publication is funded by two countries that don’t want to see a stronger Somali-Turkish relationship, so I will take their claims with a grain of salt. The $2.7 million figure was literally from their first month of managing the port, which the hit-piece above doesn’t even mention or factor in that it was clearly a transitional period. When you look at the annual billion dollar budget the FGS raises around $300 million from domestic sources, and the Port of Mogadishu is one of the Crown Jewels.

However, it is up to the FGS to negotiate the most fair deals, have laws in place that protect workers and enforce them. All of which was done by the previous administration, but I will not deny that a foreigner given the chance will not clutch the opportunity to bribe a corrupt official when the entire HSM administration is behaving the way it does. It simply invites such behaviour.

What Turkish companies do shouldn’t be equated with how good of an ‘ally’ the country of Turkey is, when it has invested billions since 2011 and significantly uplifted Somalia in multiple sectors, not to mention directly intervened when a company behaved in a manner that negatively affected Somali-Turkish relations.

I’m no Turkophile, but considering all of the options, and the history of anti-Somali policies by so many countries, they are by far the best alternative to an actual superpower backing the country. HSM’s administration will only last for another 2 years, but the foundations for an oil industry, a new navy and a blue economy should not be delayed any further.

Your source’s publication is funded by two countries that don’t want to see a stronger Somali-Turkish relationship, so I will take their claims with a grain of salt. The $2.7 million figure was literally from their first month of managing the port, which the hit-piece above doesn’t even mention or factor in that it was clearly a transitional period. When you look at the annual billion dollar budget the FGS raises around $300 million from domestic sources, and the Port of Mogadishu is one of the Crown Jewels.

However, it is up to the FGS to negotiate the most fair deals, have laws in place that protect workers and enforce them. All of which was done by the previous administration, but I will not deny that a foreigner given the chance will not clutch the opportunity to bribe a corrupt official when the entire HSM administration is behaving the way it does. It simply invites such behaviour.

What Turkish companies do shouldn’t be equated with how good of an ‘ally’ the country of Turkey is, when it has invested billions since 2011 and significantly uplifted Somalia in multiple sectors, not to mention directly intervened when a company behaved in a manner that negatively affected Somali-Turkish relations.

I’m no Turkophile, but considering all of the options, and the history of anti-Somali policies by so many countries, they are by far the best alternative to an actual superpower backing the country. HSM’s administration will only last for another 2 years, but the foundations for an oil industry, a new navy and a blue economy should not be delayed any further.
Always enjoy reading your input mate, well done.

One of the best posters on here for sure alongside @Jiron . Always informative, glad to have you on sspot.

Erdogan get 30% revenue for protection against imaginary enemies while 85% of somali youth are unemployed 💀
The Turkish will do the exploration, appraisal and development and production of petroleum from onshore and offshore blocks of the Federal Republic of Somalia as well as distribution, and maybe a refinery sale of petroleum and its product and service operations related to these projects,"
it's very comprehensive though we haven't signed the PSA [production-sharing agreement] yet."

One of the best posters on here for sure alongside @Jiron . Always informative, glad to have you on sspot.
You forgot me nigga !

Excuse Me What GIF by Soul Train

A really excellent question. I was wondering about this all day. As for me, I think of two things. The first is to have both together. The second is the lack of interest and seizing the opportunity of Turkey.
👍

Coastline explores for potential oil fields and then sells it for billions to a super-major. The Turkish deal and the vague one with Coastline don’t conflict or contradict each other. Coastline could find an oil-zone and decide to sell it to Turkey if the latter is the most interested party to extract it.

Also, there are certain blocks that were force-majeured by the Super Majors before the war, and which can’t be auctioned off by the FGS if it wants to be considered an honest destination for business and FDI.

ℹ️