Tunisia belly dancer running for president in September polls

upload_2019-8-16_3-12-30.png

A Tunisian belly dancer, singer has announced she wants to run in snap September polls called after the death of 92-year-old leader Beji Caid Essebsi.
Nermine Sfar said in online statements on Tuesday that she is gathering signatures to formally submit her candidacy in the early presidential elections.

"Yes, I am running for president so that I can expose the criminals who hide behind fake posts and values," said Sfar, who has almost half a million social media followers.

The dancer vowed to lower the price of bread and ban the hijab and instead impose the traditional Tunisian headscarf known as the safseri if elected to the top spot.

She also pledged to fine men who fail to honour marriage promises and enact a law to give women two-thirds of inheritance, rather than the traditonal one-third.

"Tunisia will be better than Italy. It will become a country of art and freedom. People will no longer think about leaving the country," she was quoted as saying in local media.

Presidential hopefuls began registering their candidacies on Friday to the North African country's electoral commission.

The would-be candidates, include Prime Minister Youssef Chahed, former President Moncef Marzouki, Abdel Fattah Mourou, the vice president of Islamist party Ennahdha Party, and media magnate Nabil Karoui.

Last month, an openly gay man announced his bid for the presidency, calling for a more inclusive society in the country where homosexuality is still outlawed.

Presidential hopefuls have until 9 August to register, with the commission set to provide a final list of candidates on 31 August.

The campaigns are scheduled to run from 2 September to 13 September, with the preliminary results announced two days after the polls.

A date for the second round of presidential elections has not yet been decided, but the electoral commission said it would be held no later than 3 November.

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/n...ncer-running-for-president-in-september-polls

Tunisian Belly dancer, 21, known for her risque shows and swimsuit selfies announces bid to run for president after promising to ban the hijab and impose fines for unfaithful men .

AAFNx2g.img

The north African country is facing an election on September 15, following the death of their first democratically elected leader, Beji Caid Essebs, 92. Sfar said the country will be a 'a country of art and freedom' under her rule .

A 21-year-old belly dancer has announced she is running to be Tunisian president - promising voters she will ban the hijab and impose fines for unfaithful men.

Nermine Sfar, who is known for her risque shows and posting revealing selfies on Instagram, has collected 35,000 voter signatures, three times more than the number required for an eligible bid.

The north African country is facing an election on September 15, following the death of their first democratically elected leader, Beji Caid Essebs, 92.

Sfar, who boasts almost 300,000 Instagram followers, told local media under her rule Tunisia will be 'a country of art and freedom' and that 'people will no longer think about leaving it'.

AAFNmY0.img

Sfar, who boasts almost 300,000 Instagram followers, told local media under her rule Tunisa will be 'a country of art and freedom. People will no longer think about leaving it' .

She added the state will be 'better than Italy'.

AAFNBsG.img

Sfar's policies include lowering the price of bread and changing the law so women get two-thirds of inheritance, as opposed to the traditional one-third in Islamic custom .

Sfar plans to run on a very liberal ticket in the Muslim-majority state.

Her policies include lowering the price of bread and changing the law so women get two-thirds of inheritance, as opposed to the traditional one-third in Islamic custom.

She also plans to ban the hijab, and impose a traditional Tunisian headscarf known as the safseri instead.

The influencer has also promised to fine men who promise to marry women but don't go through with it or are unfaithful.

She says she's running in response to fan requests.

Tunisa is considered the only democracy in the Arab world, and one of the only to emerge to emerge from the Arab Spring of 2010-2012.

The candidates bidding to lead 11.5 million Tunisians include the president of LGBTIQ+ group Association Shams.

Mounir Baatour is the first openly gay man to run for President in any Arab country - even though gay sex is still illegal in the country.

It comes just six years after the lawyer was arrested for alleged sodomy.

AAFNx2q.img

Tunisa is considered the only democracy in the Arab world, and one of the only to emerge to emerge from the Arab Spring of 2010-2012. The candidates running against Sfar (pictured) bidding to lead 11.5 million Tunisians include the president of LGBTIQ+ group Association Shams .

He's said he wants to provide equality for gay people in the country.

'After long years in the fight for minority right, I have understood that no one can do the job better than me' he told local media.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/worl...2InrZJWmaZH72gyrDVajiyOcGdjskOJFywFl4u-EMBgGo

Tunisia is going down the drain wallah. There's even a running for presidency over there.

I'd imagine most North Africans are against Tunisia's adoption of Western-style liberalism.

She looks way older than 21. I'm the same age as her, but we look decades apart :farmajoyaab: Am I the only one who thinks she looks like she's in her late 30's, early 40's?!
nermine-sfar.png

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
She looks way older than 21. I'm the same age as her, but we look decades apart :farmajoyaab: Am I the only one who thinks she looks like she's in her late 30's, early 40's?!
nermine-sfar.png
Waa very average qumayo akhi

Tunisia is going down the drain wallah. There's even a running for presidency over there.

I'd imagine most North Africans are against Tunisia's adoption of Western-style liberalism.

@SOMALI GENERAL

Tunisia is doing far better than it's neighbour Libya and even Egypt. Compare them to Somalia and "religious Somalis"? They don't have 119 presidents who sold their clan enclaves to Gulf Arab States and are at war with one another.

@SOMALI GENERAL

Tunisia is doing far better than it's neighbour Libya and even Egypt. Compare them to Somalia and "religious Somalis"? They don't have 119 presidents who sold their clan enclaves to Gulf Arab States and are at war with one another.
I'm not disputing the fact that Somalia is a shithole. My point is that Tunisia adopting degenerate ideologies from the West would harm their society in the long run.

Apollo

VIP
For the European Somalis on here who meet very religious/pious Maghrebis, you will be shocked how degenerate they are back in their own countries. It seems like the more religious ones moved to Europe/the West while the degenerate ones stayed behind in the Maghreb.

This also applies to a lesser extant to Turks.

While for Iranians it the total opposite. :dead:

I'm not disputing the fact that Somalia is a shithole. My point is that Tunisia adopting degenerate ideologies from the West would harm their society in the long run.

@SOMALI GENERAL

Tunisia has always been a liberal and secular society and even when the Islamists Ennahda came to power, unlike under Morsi, the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, they sought change from the base and not from the top and started a program to teach society Islamist ideals. They didn't impose new draconian Islamic laws and criticised their Egyptian counterparts.

For the European Somalis on here who meet very religious/pious Maghrebis, you will be shocked how degenerate they are back in their own countries. It seems like the more religious ones moved to Europe/the West while the degenerate ones stayed behind in the Maghreb.

All the Iranians, especially Persians that i know are either irreligious or Agnostic.

Iranians regardless of their religous affiliation like to wear the Faravahar necklace/chain to express their nationalism/patriotism and honour their ancestors:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Apollo

VIP
All the Iranians, especially Persians that i know are either irreligious or Agnostic.

Iranian regardless of their religous affiliation like to wear the Faravahar necklace/chain to express their nationalism/patriotism and honour their ancestors:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The ones abroad are self-selected for their opposition to the theocratic government of Iran. So irreligious types are over-represented in the Iranian diaspora.

@SOMALI GENERAL

Tunisia has always been a liberal and secular society and even when the Islamists Ennahda came to power, unlike under Morsi, the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, they sought change from the base and not from the top and started a program to teach society Islamist ideals. They didn't impose new draconian Islamic laws and criticised their Egyptian counterparts.
True, Tunisia is definitely the most liberal country in North Africa & one of the most liberal Muslim-majority states in the World.

Very similar to Turkey, Indonesia, Lebanon & to a lesser extent Malaysia etc.

True, Tunisia is definitely the most liberal country in North Africa & one of the most liberal Muslim-majority states in the World.

Very similar to Turkey, Indonesia, Lebanon & to a lesser extent Malaysia etc.

@SOMALI GENERAL

I wouldn't put Indonesia there because Indonesian States like Aceh have very strict Shariah Laws just like the Taliban in Afghanistan.

There were a few Algerians and Tunisians that went to my high school back in the day. They said they started wearing hijab after they came to the UK and they learned the diin from Somalis.:dead:

Aceh is the exception, rest of the country doesn't implement Sharia Law.

The Indonesians i've met are a very laid back people, they're not very strict with religion.

@SOMALI GENERAL

That's true but still not in that club of secularists and liberalist countries because the Indonesian Islamic clerics are a major power to be reckoned with in politics. More so than in Malaysia.

Islam Is the Winning Ticket in Indonesia.

Politics has turned religious in the world's biggest Muslim nation — but that's part of democracy too.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/04/17/islamism-is-the-winning-ticket-in-indonesia/

NAAFO

VALOR MORGHULIS
@SOMALI GENERAL

@AussieHustler once again egypt and libya's situations are not comparable to tunisa by claiming that because its a liberal westernised secular democracy that its better than those nations above for that reason isn't true and therefor are false equivalences.

As egypt was going through a democratic transition that inevitably lead to upheaval which subsequently also lead to the overthrow of a legitimate popular movement and democratic system,

in the case of libya whilst it wasn't a full fledge democracy however it was more advanced than not only many third world and developing countries due to having one of the best welfare/social systems which has facilitated it in having one of the highest literacy rates including free healthcare, education, which also enabled libyan women to receive an education and careers which results in social mobility as it had the highest number of highly educated and skilled women in africa and the middle east.

Inspite of libya not being a liberal westernised secular democracy it still has done strides in being progressive and uplifting its men/women due to its social policies which played a pivotal role in its development that was because of the proceeds of its natural resources specifically its oil and gas and the revenue generated from that was redistributed back into the population.

So what does this tell us? Well that tunisa might be better or could even be known as the lebanon of africa all because it allows french colonialists to still "cherry pick women" from its colonial legacy of exploitation, and libya specifically during the great revolutionary leader gaddafi's era,

has developed further which can be indicated by what I stated above such as having more literate and educated people especially women, all while maintaining their heritage,

Which prompts one to ask the question is your problem with somalia and its ilk (egypt and libya) from a lack of stability, rule of law, social development non civil liberties, etc

or is it solely civil liberties especially those that don't presuppose our ethics/principles, and overall heritage, etc

their is nothing wrong with democracy or a pluralistic multicultural society where human rights are upheld which includes peoples civil liberties however it has to be indigenous and authentic
Examples

indonesia 3rd largest democracy
malaysia democracy
turkey democracy even though its liberal thats more indicative of its culture especially after the fall of the ottoman kaliphate therefor it wasn't imposed on them by foreigners and can't be seen as cultural imperialism.

As we can't have westernisation that's predicated on liberalism if you understood anything at all like some of the halfwit agitators on this site that peddle destructive ideas and agenda's that are detrimental to our people which they sadly profess then you would realise that democratic westernisation has effectively facilitated the enslavement of our somali brothers and sisters within libya which was most likely not present under the previous regime.

So please don't conflate indigenous popularly supported movements whether democratic or not, with liberalism and westernisation which has no place amongs ourselves.

Last edited:

Trending