Top girl in Mandera eyes Alliance Girls but poverty threatens her dream

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
202242637844619150550803.jpg

Hamdi Abikar Hassan, who scored 405 marks in the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examination and was one of the two best candidates in Mandera County, is staring at a bleak future.

She is not sure she will join her dream school, Alliance Girls High School or any other national school when her admission letter reaches her mother.

The third-born in a family of seven children says her single mother Qulahi Mohamed has struggled to keep her and her siblings in school.

“It has not been easy to study at a private school, considering that we all depend on our mother, who relies on menial jobs in the estate,” Hamdi said.

Hamdi thanked God for her sterling performance in a county grappling with teacher shortages.

She said she expected a higher score but she had to juggle helping her mother get the family’s daily bread and studying.

“Sometimes I spend time at my mother’s stall selling vegetables but I will still be with my books because I want the best for myself and my family,” she said.

Hamdi, who wants to become a doctor in future, attributed her success to teachers and her supportive mother.

“My teachers were supportive at school and they always assisted me in all subjects. I thank them for my success.”

She challenged girls to concentrate on education and remain focused despite the challenges they face.

“Working hard, respecting parents and teachers and being prayerful pays. I urge all girls in schools to apply these and they will be successful in their studies.”

Abdiaziz Ali Issack, Hamdi’s classmate, described her as a God-fearing girl with a kind heart.

“She encouraged and helped the rest of us in class and from that I have managed to score 384 marks.

Mr Amos Barasa, Alhuda Star Academy headteacher, attributed the school’s performance to hard work.

“We have always performed well but producing the best candidate in the county makes us proud,” he said.

He said that though they have bright students, parents have difficulties paying school fees.

“Most of the parents have problems paying school fees for their children and yet the school has to run and we have to pay teachers. But despite all that we still manage to perform well, because we are determined,” he said.

Hamdi’s mother said it was hard keeping her daughter in school.

“I have nothing to sell or depend on for my children’s school fees. I appeal to well-wishers to help take my girl to the best school because I want my life to change too,” she said.

Hamdi shared the top position in Mandera with Abdulfatah Issack Hassan, from Wargadud Primary School in Mandera South, who also scored 405 marks.

King Khufu

Dignified Gentlemen
there needs to be grant-funding for school goers to increase education payments made to have reduced fees to higher quality education at less cost.

Genie

The last suugo bender
Contraception's aren't readily available nor do some people even know they're a thing. Have a little empathy and compassion for you're own people. At the very least assume the best in them.

Any way to help her ?
By being the best performing student in her entire county she should be able to easily get enough bursary to get her through high school. In Kenya there usually is bursary funds for bright but needy students. The bursaries are issued by the office of area member of Parliament or the county government.

Pops out 7 kids while in poverty - then pleads for money. Some people just don’t think rationally.
You are acting shocked after hearing about a poor somali family with seven kids? Isn't this like the norm for most Somali families. The only demographic of Somalis who maybe will start caring about family planning are the current generation of college educated folks.

The generation of uneducated rural Somali nomads will continue getting a dozen kids for the foreseeable future. Family planning is an alien concept to these folks.

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
《“Sometimes I spend time at my mother’s stall selling vegetables but I will still be with my books because I want the best for myself and my family,” she said.
“Working hard, respecting parents and teachers and being prayerful pays. I urge all girls in schools to apply these and they will be successful in their studies.”》

You know the world turns and it spins
but you should never let your search light go dim. They push you down and they beat you down and they hope that you will give up.

From her words you could tell Hamdi has ambitions and a strong willpower, she is determined to pursue it, the resilient nature of our people despite the obstacles that lay ahead. People struggle the most unable to access education and make ends meet and they rise above the clouds and I can see that in Hamdi. May God make it easier for her and her family.

Trending