Time to rethink FMS and create Somali Electoral College

AbdiGeedi

To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
I think we as Somalis need to have a hard look at the present situation with Federal Member States (FMS) and Somali elections.

First, Somalia needs to identify the pain points in our political map to diffuse tensions and make citizens feel freed from political duress and bring pride back.

I would support the creation and addition of Awdal and Khatumo (Sool, Sanaag and Cayn) FMS. Please, propose the candidates from Central and South Somalia if there are serious existing pain points that can flare up chronically.

We need to stop oppressing each other doing it for the sake of power and money and come out united in the federation of freed people.

Next, let's create the Electoral College that is similar to the US model. It will give each region a voice and prevent the FMS with big urban areas from dominating the less densely populated FMS in the election of the Somali president.

The creation of additional FMS and the Electoral College will foster the sense of justice for the less represented and dampen clan independence movements.

Last edited:

Rooble44

Bishop of the order of Gacanta Furan ✋
An electoral college for a shithole that has a new political party popping up every day isn't going to work imo.

AbdiGeedi

An electoral college for a shithole that has a new political party popping up every day isn't going to work imo.
Somalia's desert climate guarantees population clustering which makes some areas underrepresented in the 1m1v model during the presidential elections. Basically FMS with large cities like Mogadishu, Hargeisa, Berbera and Kismayo will end up deciding the presidency while other FMS will be left out.

The number of parties will naturally come to equilibrium once there is an understanding that the political process is fair.

somalia-climate.PNG

Last edited:

AbdiGeedi

I want to add that electoral college will reduce domination of one clan over another in the presidential elections.

AbdiGeedi

I hope the government and parliament are aware of the benefits of the electoral college and will implement it on day in Somalia.

somalia-regions.jpeg

Trending