Thread on Somali Superstitions

Augustus

Cheat on her before she cheats on you.
Here's a interesting thread I found on twitter about Somali Superstitions do you guys know any or have heard about any of these ones before?

I can't be the only one who hates the audio

:damedamn:

Alluring

Sayonara
I have not heard of one of these. I was thinking something like "shaytan goes in-between the spaces if you don't connect your feet with others in salat"

Augustus

Cheat on her before she cheats on you.
I have not heard of one of these. I was thinking something like "shaytan goes in-between the spaces if you don't connect your feet with others in salat"

That's more related to Somali's being muslim these superstitions I think are uniquely somali and aren't related to Islam.

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
Never heard of these. But my ayeeyo used to tell me to not sew my clothes while wearing it because you’d have bad luck or something

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Kitaab gaablow(reer koonfur term): A "muslim" geomancer/fake religious leader that practices pre-islamic superstitions. Nowadays, this also applies to the Salafi nutcases like Rusheeye, Ali Mukuli, Abdulhaq etc.

Baaba aweys: I assume famous rooxaan(spirit) in South somalia.

Aleelo tuur: There's a Somali saying that goes "Habar dhaliwayday aleelo ku walaatay" = "A barren old lady is obsessed with sea shells"

Never heard of Maryamayn. This is what I found on Maryamayn: (I used to google trans)

"Maryamayn and the Aleelo tuur can be said to be mother and daughter. The throwing shells and the card game in which you seek the queen are children of maryamayn . Both men and women practice maryamayn but they have different roles: while men calculate, women raise the necklace and conduct a rite, saying, "Fall there, break there, tell the truth,geomancy of God tell the truth ”. Maryamayn is a prediction, sometimes yestrue, sometimes not."

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Kitaab gaablow(reer koonfur term): A "muslim" geomancer/fake religious leader that practices pre-islamic superstitions. Nowadays, this also applies to the Salafi nutcases like Rusheeye, Ali Mukuli, Abdulhaq etc.

Baaba aweys: I assume famous rooxaan(spirit) in South somalia.

Aleelo tuur: There's a Somali saying that goes "Habar dhaliwayday aleelo ku walaatay" = "A barren old lady is obsessed with sea shells"

Never heard of Maryamayn. This is what I found on Maryamayn: (I used to google trans)

"Maryamayn and the Aleelo tuur can be said to be mother and daughter. The throwing shells and the card game in which you seek the queen are children of maryamayn . Both men and women practice maryamayn but they have different roles: while men calculate, women raise the necklace and conduct a rite, saying, "Fall there, break there, tell the truth,geomancy of God tell the truth ”. Maryamayn is a prediction, sometimes yestrue, sometimes not."
Is this, Baaba aweys practice where a woman start screaming and act as if she was a (someone else/possessed)?

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Is this, Baaba aweys practice where a woman start screaming and act as if she was a (someone else/possessed)?
I think that's called Saar. Saar spirits mostly possess women.

I bookmarked a thread about Mingis/saar a while back. I was planning on making a detailed post about Somali spirits and their origins.
Stay tuned, I'll @ you when I make the post.

I think that's called Saar. Saar spirits mostly possess women.

I bookmarked a thread about Mingis/saar a while back. I was planning on making a detailed post about Somali spirits and their origins.
Stay tuned, I'll @ you when I make the post.
@ me as well please

An ostrich egg shell at the peak of a mundul is supposed to bring children.

A hiirsi worn on a burned spot on the neck is supposed to cure disease.