Thinking about going to Somalia

Im from Mn usa my somali speaking skills are pretty bad but I can understand fine would it be a good or bad idea for me to go to somalia by my self
I am 18 I I choose the wrong year on the registration

Minnesota United States. I would like to go by myself because it would force me to learn the daqan.
Understandable but don’t you think you will need help navigating if you have never been before? When I say that I mean the things that aren’t stated obviously but people expect you to already know. Do you think you adapt well to new environments?

Understandable but don’t you think you will need help navigating if you have never been before? When I say that I mean the things that aren’t stated obviously but people expect you to already know. Do you think you adapt well to new environments?
I already talked to some of my cousins their to help me for a couple weeks before I start doing my own thing.

I’m gonna assume you’re male just because… I would say go, make lifelong memories and make the best use of your time there! You’re very smart for thinking about doing this.

Number one advice is don’t act like a diaspora/qurba joog and you should be fine. I had a male relative do this who was an avid traveler and he loved the experience.

I’m gonna assume you’re male just because… I would say go, make lifelong memories and make the best use of your time there! You’re very smart for thinking about doing this.

Number one advice is don’t act like a diaspora/qurba joog and you should be fine. I had a male relative do this who was an avid traveler and he loved the experience.
What would happen if I acted like I was from a diaspora?(plus I'm a guy)

What would happen if I acted like I was from a diaspora?(plus I'm a guy)
Nothing wrong with that to me but they have a negative view of us who grew up or were born abroad. Like we are dumb or something. Which can be true sometimes no lie. I’m going based on what I saw/heard my first trip a few years ago.

They would roast you non-stop. You gotta have very tough skin as they can make fun of you for anything. I remember they were calling people duyuusparo back then. It’s harmless banter but it can be excessive. Oh, also you may look like an easy target to scam when buying stuff.

Last edited:

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Nothing wrong with that to me but they have a negative view of us who grew up or were born abroad. Like we are dumb or something. Which can be true sometimes no lie. I’m going based on what I saw/heard my first trip a few years ago.

They would roast you non-stop. You gotta have very tough skin as they can make fun of you for anything. I remember they were calling people duyuusparo back then. It’s harmless banter but it can be excessive. Oh, also you may look like an easy target to scam when buying stuff.
Thats true i remember getting made fun of by family friends cause i didn't know one word of somali took awhile for me to be taken serious

Not a problem to go by yourself but arrange to be shown around and stay with family - have parents set this up so you don’t get scammed.

Plus if you go xamar don’t talk about Arsenal(Al Shabab) with anyone. Including family - if asked you have no opinion on them.

Not a problem to go by yourself but arrange to be shown around and stay with family - have parents set this up so you don’t get scammed.

Plus if you go xamar don’t talk about Arsenal(Al Shabab) with anyone. Including family - if asked you have no opinion on them.
Can you elaborate on not talking about al shabab

I absolutely wouldn't go there myself, Somalia is still a country where network and relations make life easier.

A few years ago I was traveling between cities but I was halted by "customs" because they thought I was a youngster fleeing the country, I was in late 20s. I had to call a relative just to pass through, and I was in a hurry to catch my flight too.

Can you elaborate on not talking about al shabab
You never know who could be with them. Your own family members could be apart of the group and you wouldn’t know. So advice I was given was never to mention them.

Also connections is everything like @NordicSomali says. My last trip to xamar we spent like 10 mins going through check in and out of the airport, since three of the workers were family in some way I.e mum sisters husbands cousin.

Trending