CULTURE Think we should change the somali writing system

The Latin is fine. We just need to work on it.

1. Standardization of the language.

2. Change the Kh, Sh and Dh letters to P, Z and V.

3. The double consonants should be updated. M, N, L, G, R, B and the currently missing letter, "Dh".

4. Add new vowels(ä, ё, ї ö, ü) to differentiate between homonym/homograph words that share the same spelling but with different sounds/meanings. For example:

Inan(boy) and inan(girl) becomes Inan(boy) and Inän(girl)
Doqon(masculine) and Döqön/Döqon/Doqön(feminine)
Duul(to fly) and Düül(to fight/attack, expedition)

Or if new vowels are too much, how about double consonants?
Inan(boy) and Innan(girl)
Doqon(masculine) and Doqqon(feminine)
Duul(to fly) and Duull(to fight, expedition)
Good point. I have also noticed that it’s a difference in spelling when the author is from north Somalia and when the author is writing in standard Somali(mudug dialect) if that makes sense.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Good point. I have also noticed that it’s a difference in spelling when the author is from north Somalia and when the author is writing in standard Somali(mudug dialect) if that makes sense.
Far Somali(written) is not the same thing as Af Somali(spoken).

The way reer Mudug speak and write are totally different. For example, Reer Mudug are notorious for saying "ma jidho" and "waxaan doonahayaa", but the written Somali doesn't allow that. It should be: "Ma jirto" and "Waxa aan doonayaa".

The written Somali language is not based on spoken dialects.

Northerners and Southerners write the same exact way. The only difference in spelling are the "R" and "DH" words. Gabadh vs Gabar, Gambar vs Gambadh etc.

Mudug being the standard spoken dialect in broadcasting/media only applies to reer Italian Somaliland. They implemented that in the 40s and 50s.

When Somalia got its independence, the Mudug dialect still didn't apply to the Northerners.
1. The waqooyi dialect was the mainstream dialect in Somali songs, poems, plays etc.
2. Reer waqooyi were never told to speak in the Mudug dialect when they were broadcasting.
3. Many textbooks were written in the "waqooyi dialect"(dh spelling, 'waqooyi words' etc).
Most ereybixin(dictionary) books were in fact, written in the "waqooyi dialect"(dh spelling).

The men who were in charge of the Somali curriculum:
Jaalle/Professor Cabdiraxmaan Timir Cali 1972-1973 - From Burco.
Bashiir Faarax Kaahiye 1974-1977 - From Borama.
Xasan Daahir Obsiiye 1977-1990 - From Borama.
Professor Raabi - From Burco/Sheikh
Shire Jaamac Axmed
- From Caabudwaaq

reer

VIP
It's not my idea, actually. It was suggested back in the 60s and early 70s when they were making the Somali script. Unfortunately, Siad Barre rushed everything, and now we're left with an underdeveloped Somali script that doesn't live up to its fullest potential.

Kh, sh, dh....6 letters. It's a pain in the neck to write them. Not to mention how the letter 'dh' is a double consonant. I'm bad at explaining things, but check pages 55-57

Gabadha(the girl) should be written as "Gabadhdha", fadhi= fadhdhi etc. Changing 'dh' to 'v' would make it a whole lot easier, Imo. Gabadhdha, fadhdhi vs gabavva, favvi.
the typewriters italian and english. so we had to use double vowels because they arent like turkish.

Far Somali(written) is not the same thing as Af Somali(spoken).

The way reer Mudug speak and write are totally different. For example, Reer Mudug are notorious for saying "ma jidho" and "waxaan doonahayaa", but the written Somali doesn't allow that. It should be: "Ma jirto" and "Waxa aan doonayaa".

The written Somali language is not based on spoken dialects.

Northerners and Southerners write the same exact way. The only difference in spelling are the "R" and "DH" words. Gabadh vs Gabar, Gambar vs Gambadh etc.

Mudug being the standard spoken dialect in broadcasting/media only applies to reer Italian Somaliland. They implemented that in the 40s and 50s.

When Somalia got its independence, the Mudug dialect still didn't apply to the Northerners.
1. The waqooyi dialect was the mainstream dialect in Somali songs, poems, plays etc.
2. Reer waqooyi were never told to speak in the Mudug dialect when they were broadcasting.
3. Many textbooks were written in the "waqooyi dialect"(dh spelling, 'waqooyi words' etc).
Most ereybixin(dictionary) books were in fact, written in the "waqooyi dialect"(dh spelling).

The men who were in charge of the Somali curriculum:
Jaalle/Professor Cabdiraxmaan Timir Cali 1972-1973 - From Burco.
Bashiir Faarax Kaahiye 1974-1977 - From Borama.
Xasan Daahir Obsiiye 1977-1990 - From Borama.
Professor Raabi - From Burco/Sheikh
Shire Jaamac Axmed
- From Caabudwaaq
I see what you’re saying and you are more knowledgeable than me in this. But the observation I have made indicates that the “national” dialect resembles or at least nearest to it. And also when writing and both speaking in the “national” dialect is has a certain connotation to it I don’t know if should say it sounds more intellectual.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
I see what you’re saying and you are more knowledgeable than me in this. But the observation I have made indicates that the “national” dialect resembles or at least nearest to it. And also when writing and both speaking in the “national” dialect is has a certain connotation to it I don’t know if should say it sounds more intellectual.
There's no such thing as a 'national' dialect, walaal. In Somaliland they speak in the northern dialect, in Somali region they speak in the western dialect, and in southern Somalia they all speak in their own respective dialects.

What you consider the "mudug dialect" is just a proper formal language. Everyone educated in the whole Somali peninsula(from Djibouti all the way to Ras Kamboni) is able to speak like that.

Unfortunately, most Somalis nowadays speak informally even in professional settings. Just pay close attention to how Somali politicians speak. The majority of them talk in informal language.

I noticed Khayre is one of the very few Koonfur politicians who I've seen speak "properly"

There's no such thing as a 'national' dialect, walaal. In Somaliland they speak in the northern dialect, in Somali region they speak in the western dialect, and in southern Somalia they all speak in their own respective dialects.

What you consider the "mudug dialect" is just a proper formal language. Everyone educated in the whole Somali peninsula(from Djibouti all the way to Ras Kamboni) is able to speak like that.

Unfortunately, most Somalis nowadays speak informally even in professional settings. Just pay close attention to how Somali politicians speak. The majority of them talk in informal language.

I noticed Khayre is one of the very few Koonfur politicians who I've seen speak "properly"
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Listen to the speech of the first president AUN Aden Cadde & Siad barre Aun were in formal Somali. Listen to the tv presenters of the Somali people prior to the civil war and the decade after it. Of course I know there are different dialects in different parts. And yes you’re right politicians and common people whether they be business people or what have you , speak very informal some even have a very poor vocabulary where they throw in English randomly and just seem very insecure when speaking even though they were born in Somalia.

Celery

Vasodilator
VIP
Whatever we do it better not be written using Arabic alphabet. Ooga booga becomes awja bawja and that’s hilarious

Trending