(theory) FGM figures in the UK/West are suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synopsis:
FGM is down by over 70% in Northern Somalia (Somaliland and Puntland).

This survey was conducted in over nine thousand households which is by far the largest survey since post civil-war and really calls into question the FGM attainment rate of the Somali diaspora in the West since they (charities, govt) tend to refer to outdated statistics from Somalia and assume that FGM is still being carried out en masse by Somalis in the west (I'll probably make another thread about this point some time later).

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/fgm-down-75-on-girls-in-sl-pl.22993/

Ok guys, I'm sure some of you heard/read stories about X number of girls/women who are at risk/subjected to FGM in the UK and I was initially suspicious of the quoted figures untill i came across the above source which indicates that FGM attainment has decreased in Northern Somalia for girls under 15 as well as the numerous anecdotal views from the Somali community (and other ethnicities/communities) that this practice isn't as common as before.

Here's an excerpt from an article by Somali-British novelist, Nadifa Mohamed, that expands on my view about the figures:

"The widely quoted figure of 24,000 British girls being "at risk" would have us believe that 88% of British Somali girls are in danger. In fact, this figure originally derives from World Health Organisation and Unicef estimates, some dating back to the 1990s, from "sources of variable quality", about the prevalence of the practice in various African countries. These figures have then been extrapolated, some assuming there is the same potential prevalence among under-16 girls from those countries now living in the UK. In other words, these are crude estimates based on unreliable data – and several years out of date."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ition-female-genital-mutilation-fgm-prejudice

It really does tie in nicely to recent data from Northern Somalia doesn't it?

Moreover, here's another piece of evidence that links very nicely to the above points:

"The results show that 70% of Somalis in Oslo support the discontinuation of all forms of FC compared to 30% who support its continuation, with the latter group more likely to be people who lived in Norway ≤ 4 years. Of the 10 girls who came to Norway at the age of ≤ 7 years, only one was circumcised, though whether the circumcision occurred before or after the girl's arrival in Norway remains unclear."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22925310

So FGM is declining in Somalia and the Somali diaspora are discontinuing the practice as well which is all good news, however, why do we keep on hearing/reading that over 90% of Somali women in the diaspora are victims to this practice?

The key is in the wording (women not girls) since the majority of Somali women (especially 30-40s+) were subjected to FGM back when they were kids in Somalia long before/prior to arriving in the west hence we see borderline faux-outrage articles like this:

"THE NHS has seen a shocking rise in the number of case of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) in Britain - despite the practice being banned for more than 30 years.

Medical staff recorded almost 5,500 cases in 2016 alone, according to shocking new statistics."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...place-Britain-illegal-nhs-banned-prosecutions

The Somali population in the west is mostly young (30s or under just like in Somalia) so it's safe to assume that the majority of women/girls below their 20s were not subjected to FGM and that many of these new 'cases' as seen in the above article are in fact not new but instead are based from older mothers who were born in Somalia and are giving birth with (sadly) complications in British hospitals.

Not to put you on the spot but what do you think @dhegdheer @VixR @EternalLightX and others?

Last edited:
Unfortunately We as Somalis have very little control over our own narrative .We allow others to paint us with whatever brush they want whether that be zombies, terrorists and now as uncivilised savages. I don't believe that the media has anything specific against Somalis but rather that because we are Muslim refugees and commit this practise that this more ammunition against Muslims/migrants. We are part of this info war whether we like it or not guys.

Unfortunately We as Somalis have very little control over our own narrative .We allow others to paint us with whatever brush they want whether that be zombies, terrorists and now as uncivilised savages. I don't believe that the media has anything specific against Somalis but rather that because we are Muslim refugees and commit this practise that this more ammunition against Muslims/migrants. We are part of this info war whether we like it or not guys.

Exactly, good points!

It is very disingenuous how the UK media portrays Somalis (and Muslims) especially in regard to FGM and how it is seen (sometimes) as an exclusively Somali practice when in fact it's practiced by hundreds of tribes and ethnicities as well as various religions throughout Africa and parts of Asia.

Western figures are usually in accurate, especially those reported by the media. When they run out of stories to suit their narrative they dig old stuff up. The independent does this a lot, recycles old news articles and all. This is just another article that highlights the issues, but does not explain how it should be solved, once people read this they think of Somalis as barbaric and continues the cycle of hatred. I'm ashamed by the Guardian though, i really thought they'd be more clever:mjkkk:

Zuleikha

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
The worst part is you can't even take your daughters back home because according to them it's very likely that you might perform fgm on them.

Bohol

VIP
The British have became the s!!l police like the Arabs.
mjkkk.png

Status
Not open for further replies.