The tribe known as Yibir and their origins

Discussion in 'History' started by sosomali, May 19, 2017.

1. SultanuuFicaan

SultanuuFicaan

Ratings:
    +1,537
    Centuries upon centuries, somalis payed blood money for the killing of their leader, Bucur baceyr in order to prevent such a curse (to which the Yibir inflicted on the somali people).
    Wahhabism has eroded such a tradition.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Canuck

Canuck

Ratings:
    +9,959
    Yibir are noble Somalis who came from sabayon hence we they are called sab tribes not samaale.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TooMacaan

TooMacaan Mother of Love xD

Ratings:
    +1,572
    Tbh, I'm not sure...biblically, there's the whole Ishmael vs Isaac thing, I think. :zhqjlmx:
    @Prince Abubu might know
    (Hey, care to give some insight?)

4. Prince Abubu

Prince Abubu

Ratings:
    +5,796
    He's talking nonsense. Yibirs are not Jews, they are either Sab or Somalized Agews/Oromos.

5. sosomali

sosomali

Ratings:
    +132
    The sheekh in the video says that the yibir are either from the quraysh tribe as some claim or banu israel children of Ya'qub

6. nadia

nadia Somaliland ha noolaato

Ratings:
    +436
    yibir is a midgaan tribe that apparently have connection with Jewish people

7. TooMacaan

TooMacaan Mother of Love xD

Ratings:
    +1,572
    Oh, it was me who thought they were Jews. I thought I read somewhere that they were some lost tribe, my bad. What does sab mean??

8. Prince Abubu

Prince Abubu

Ratings:
    +5,796
    They were said to be Jews, but nothing about them reflects Jewish ancestry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grant

Grant

Ratings:
    +165
    There is a theory that the Yibir are Fallasha who were sent by Auxum to control the Bab al-Mandeb. This is part of an article and interview with the current Sultan of the Yibir.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/...ews-in-somalia-tracing-remnants-of-the-yibir/

"In 2000, New York Times journalist Ian Fisher conducted a breakthrough interview with the Yibir community leader Sultan Ahmed Jama. The Sultan was not secretive about his Hebraic heritage and indicated that the prejudice his people experience in Somalia essentially goes back to their Israelite heritage. He also pointed out that members of the community –particularly the youth– are often ashamed of their Yibir identity as a low caste. Accordingly, they often identify with other clans of higher castes.

Yibir folklore suggests that the community’s ancestors converted from Judaism to Islam in the thirteenth century. Since scholars believe that Sharif Yusuf lived in the early thirteenth century, the events of the traditional narrative, involving the Sharif and the Yibir leader Mohamed Hanif, would accordingly date to the same century.

And although the name Mohamed Hanif is evidently Muslim, it is perhaps possible that the Yibir did not entirely abandon Judaism until Sharif Yusuf subjugated them. In any case, and as indicated, Somali traditions claim that Mohamed Hanif was not a true Muslim and seem to suggest that he was of a different religion.

Traditionally, the Yibir claim that their Jewish ancestors arrived in Somalia prior to the formation of the major noble Samaale clans, i.e. Darood, Dir, Hawiye and Isaaq. While Samaale clans commonly trace their paternal lineages to ninth century Arabian ancestors, some scholars have suggested that the Darood and Isaaq were only founded in the thirteenth century. If this is true, then the Yibir are also likely to be older than the two Samaale clans. That is because the Yibir were, presumably, already established as a powerful group in Somalia by the time of Mohamed Hanif in the thirteenth century."

• Like Like x 3
  10. Canuck

Canuck

Ratings:
    +9,959

They are sabayon, the sab is shortcut of sabayon plus their DNA is J2.

11. Prince Abubu

Prince Abubu

Ratings:
    +5,796
    Where does it say their Y DNA haplogroup is J?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zayd

Zayd Habar Magaadle

Ratings:
    +2,515
    Sheikh Yusuf AL kowneyn slayed their sultan Maxamed bin xaneefa aka Bucur bucayr at Aw Barakhadle outside hargeisa.

13. Zayd

Zayd Habar Magaadle

Ratings:
    +2,515
    Another interesting point, one of Prophet Musa's top disciples that was later cursed for his betrayel of Allah and his prophet Moses was Balcaam ibn Bacura, I feel like there's a relation between that name and Bucur Bacayr, obviously names can change a little after thousands of years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luna

Luna

Ratings:
    +644
    Good catch. And what exactly did Balcam do? Was he one of the calf worshippers? The guy who orchestrated it maybe?

15. MARAQ DIGAAG

MARAQ DIGAAG

Ratings:
    +1,641
    I don't think there has been substantial testing of yibirs to prove they have a Semitic origin . I don't know where you got this from @ Canuck .

I highly doubt they are of semetic origin . I would say they are a Somali cushitic clan who lost influence and power after the Isaac family grew in stature and prominence .I read something from Gurey on somnet claiming the Isaac were initially a coalition allied or under the protection of the Dir . the Isaac probably grew out of this alliance and established themselves in areas formerly controlled by yibir . I believe the Stories about them being Jews were made by their Somali conquerers in order to legitimise their subjugation . The other possibility is the yibir being squeezed out by Somali clans and Ethiopians raids from the other side . Going by what people are quoting from the futuh Al habash and what the sheikh said in the video , the yibir were once a militarized Islamic people : There is absolutely no evidence indicating they have a Jewish origin .

The Arab sheikhs claimed by the Somali clans in the north were most likely real figures who settled in the region to spread Islam or escape persecution.The congregations and families of these sheikhs settled then probably created a biological descent myth . These families probably spread out into the land ,in the process incorporating other families and clans as clients ,therefore explaining why some somali clans have divergent dna results .

Jamaacatu dna .department of Muufo science .

• Like Like x 3
Verification:
reCAPTCHA verification is loading. Please refresh the page if it does not load.
Draft saved Draft deleted