The Tomb of Emir Nur Mujahid, Master of the Second Conquest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nur_ibn_Mujahid
Nur ibn Mujahid ibn ‘Ali ibn ‘Abdullah al Dhuhi Suha (Harari አሚር ኑር, Somali: Nuur ibn Mujaahid, Arabic: نور بن مجاهد السمروني) (literally, "Light"; died 1567). Was a Somali ruler (emir) who ruled parts of the Horn of Africa, he was the primary reason for the construction of the five-gated wall that surrounds the city of Harar. He was known for marrying the widow of his uncle Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi (also known as Ahmed Gurey and Ahmad Gragn), he also succeeded Imam Ahmad as leader of the Muslimforces fighting Christian Ethiopia.[1]
Considered a saint from Harar, Mujahid was called the Sahib al-Fath al-Thani, or "Master of the Second Conquest". When Imam Ahmad, who had led the Muslim conquest of the Ethiopian Highlands, was killed in 1543, the Muslim forces fell back in confusion to Harar. Nur, the dead leader’s sister’s son, married Ahmad ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi's firebrand widow, Bati del Wambara, and undertook to renew the fortunes of the Muslim city, which had been sacked in 1550. Promoted to Emir around 1550-51, he spent the next two years reorganizing his forces, and constructing the defensive wall which still surrounds the city.[2]

In 1554-55, Nur departed on a Jihad, or Holy War, in the eastern Ethiopian lowlands of Bale, and Hadiya. In 1559, he invaded Fatagar, where he fought against the Ethiopian emperor Galawdewos, and killed him in battle. Nur continued fighting for 12 years until, according to legend, at Gibe he said "Kaffa!", or "Enough!", and returned to Harar. Some believe the province is called Kaffa for this reason.

During Nur’s absence, Harar witnessed internal power struggles, and the unlucky city was disturbed by encroaching Oromo clans. It was at this time that the walls of Harar were built; tradition attributes them to Nur ibn Mujahid with the help of two chiefs, Ahu Abadir and Ahu 'Ali. By 1567, repeated Oromo raids had brought famine to the city. Nur left the city for three months on a punitive raid against the invaders. On his return he found an epidemic afflicting Harar, and he himself died of typhus that year.
Emir_Nurs_Tomb.jpg

1566-12468658.jpg

emir-nurs-tomb-harar-4.jpg

c0f0b9227ece96c3f3936bc4b4bdb3ab--vernacular-architecture-somalia.jpg

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
I was looking for pictures of Ahmed Gurey's tomb but all I could find was this.

Ethiopia
Dhdjeu3.jpg

Map
Ffrrhytr3.jpg

I found nothing for Bati del Wambara but she's definitely in Harar.

Which clan does that correspond to?
Mareexaan. The Mareexaan Ugaas today descends from Xuseen Yuusuf Mataan. In the old days Mareexaan were led by Garaads under Aadan Mataan, whereas Nuur Mujaahid was Nuur Yuusuf Mataan.

Interesting. What do you know about Ahmed Gurey and Abadir?
Sheekhaal claim Abadir as their ancestor. Claims are made that he arrived from Arabia a millenia ago however the clan seems to have arisen in the 14th century based on the length of lineages and historical documents, and I'm not sure about the Arab immigrant theory.

Ahmed Gurey there are so many claims, I have a theory I believe however I don't want to get into it.

Mareexaan. The Mareexaan Ugaas today descends from Xuseen Yuusuf Mataan. In the old days Mareexaan were led by Garaads under Aadan Mataan, whereas Nuur Mujaahid was Nuur Yuusuf Mataan.

Sheekhaal claim Abadir as their ancestor. Claims are made that he arrived from Arabia a millenia ago however the clan seems to have arisen in the 14th century based on the length of lineages and historical documents, and I'm not sure about the Arab immigrant theory.

Ahmed Gurey there are so many claims, I have a theory I believe however I don't want to get into it.
Abadir's Umars timeline conveniently fits in with the Somali Abadir. Very interesting. Seems like they attributed an Arab lineage to him much like Somali's do with their clan founders (i.e Darood and Isaaq).

The problem is Abadir wasn't his name, his name was Fiqi Umar ibn Shamsaddiin Maxamed. Other than the name there isn't much evidence for the Harari Abadir and the Mareexaan Abadir being the same person.

Despite the lack of evidence, Mareexaan folks have been claiming him pretty hard the last few years, they've pretty much won the Wiki edit war on this issue, which is another nail in the coffin for Wiki tbh

Thanks for sharing some history about the Garaads

Beesha Xuseen yusuf ruled East africa. :sass1:

Emir Nur aun Siyad Barre aun Farmaajo all are from this lineage.

@nine @Sheikh @Shaolin23

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending