The Somali founder of Harar

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Abadir ibn Musa ibn Warwa’Jecle (Somali: Abaadir Muuse Warwaaqjecle) dubbed as the principal patron saint and first Emir of Harar, was the most celebrated Somali figure and one of the earliest propagators of Islam in the city of Harar. He introduced Islam at a very early period, before the Abyssinians (Ethiopians) first gained a footing there.

Abadir with a group of companions entered Harar in the mid-13th century with the primary purpose of proselytizing the local inhabitants. After marrying a Harari woman, he subsequently built the famous mosque, known as the Jamia site, which until this day stands tall albeit renovated.

After years of preaching, he instructed the converted local tribes to elect one of his companions as their leader, a direct instruction that agitated and ignited the non-Muslim tribes to take up arms, due fear of Islam’s rapid expansion.

Abadir crushed the rebellion with the aid of his followers and after the final victory; he transferred the control of the conquered land to this companions, whilst staking a claim to the town of Harar for himself. According to oral tradition it was Abadir who created the five district neighbourhoods associated to the five city gates from which their names are derived

Abadir used his influence to revamp the region’s social structure. Abadir renamed the land to “Harar” or “Bander Abadir” and its inhabitants “Hararis”. This was in an effort to unite the local Muslim ethnic populace in to a single umbrella identity, the “Harari Muslim”. Abadir was instrumental in forming the confederation of Muslim states called Zayla, which stretched from Shoa (south of Wello) to Somalia (including Djibouti), and had Harar as its capitol.

In 1234/35, Abadir and several of his companions left Harar for a pilgrimage to Mecca, where they stayed until 1279. Prior to his departure, Abadir handed the emirate over to his brother Abdurahim Musa WarWaje’le (Somali: Cabdiraxiin Muuse Warwaajecle) and some of his companions to govern the region in his absence.

Upon his return, he found the region devastated by the Portuguese and its inhabitants engulfed and weakened by internal strives. Some of his companions including his brother fell in the wars against the “Portuguese” or died in other ways. Abadir re-united and re-organized the demoralised Harari troops and pushed the Portuguese back beyond the boundaries of Zayla.

There is some uncertainty about his death. Local accounts dictate that he died the natural death whilst other reports mention that he was assassinated. However, what is indisputable is that Abadir achieved a fame and status that extended far beyond the Harar region in Muslim Ethiopia. In Harar, several songs in veneration of Abadir are still extant".

Source: http://www.somalimind.com/2012/06/emir-sheikh-abadir-musa-warwajele/

Harari's claim this guy was an Arab, but he was a Somali. I know this because he is one of my ancestors.
Great guy masha Allah. May Allah grant him Jannah.

Last edited:

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
Harari's claim this guy was an Arab, but he was a Somali. I know this because he is one of my ancestors. Great guy masha Allah. May Allah grant him Jannah.

The only thing Mareexaan have left to claim is Prophethood:gucciwhat:

Isn't that the same ancestor the sheeikhal clan claim. Are you sheeikhal?
Many clans seem to claim this saint. Since this man was "related" to Abu Bakr many who want higher status in society at the time would claim descendants of someone like him. My doubt is because harari's and sheikhaal existed when he was present. It could be the same fradulent cases of seeking ahlul bayt nobility like those of daroord aljaberti, Isaaq, every muslim country has those that claim this.
I doubt he is Somali, if he was, his qabiil would have been known.
Wasn't his name Abadir Umar Ar-Rida?

Last edited:
The only reason I mentioned that he is my ancestor is to dispel the theory that he was an Arab. His history is documented. He was a Somali man who brought Islam to Harar.
If you don't believe me, take a look at this.
http://www.abtirsi.com/view.php?person=344
Abadir Musa Mahamed Warwaajecel Radimiir Amaanreer.

@GeKo
Check the references at the bottom of the article I copied. The info is there if you choose to believe he was an Arab, then I don't know what to tell you. I almost feel as if you don't believe Somali's coyld achieve greatness.

Hayaay! He's your awoowe too! :cryinglaughsmiley:
He's the ancestor of at least 30% of us.
Oh, and amiin. Same to you.

I'm part of the 70%

qT5JlPT.jpg

The only reason I mentioned that he is my ancestor is to dispel the theory that he was an Arab. His history is documented. He was a Somali man who brought Islam to Harar.
If you don't believe me, take a look at this.
http://www.abtirsi.com/view.php?person=344
Abadir Musa Mahamed Warwaajecel Radimiir Amaanreer.

@GeKo
Check the references at the bottom of the article I copied. The info is there if you choose to believe he was an Arab, then I don't know what to tell you. I almost feel as if you don't believe Somali's coyld achieve greatness.
Hayaaay! Even the mareehan are now claiming this bullshit :jcoleno:. How does he falls under the mythical al-jaberti. Are you saying Sheeikhal and Harari are now Darood aljaberti:ileycry: . If he was really darood you wouldn't hear the end of him.
Yall are claiming everyone, the new black americans.:farmajoyaab:

If you want to know why I say this is fraudulent, check the link below:

http://anthromadness.blogspot.ca/2015/06/the-interestingly-fraudulent-nature-of.html

Hayaaay! Even the mareehan are now claiming this bullshit :jcoleno:. How does he falls under the mythical al-jaberti. Are you saying Sheeikhal and Harari are now Darood aljaberti:ileycry: . If he was really darood you wouldn't hear the end of him.
Yall are claiming everyone, the new black americans.:farmajoyaab:

If you want to know why I say this is fraudulent, check the link below:

http://anthromadness.blogspot.ca/2015/06/the-interestingly-fraudulent-nature-of.html
Ii dageyso. Very carefully lil nigga. His qabil was not the forefront here, but that he was SOMALI. The qabil adds credence to the fact that he was Somali.
Before you argue with me, do some more research and prove to me he WASN'T somali. Until then, hop off and back off.
Also I NEVER claimed he is the ancestor of Harari's neither did the article.

Young Popeye

Call me pops
The Harla were the major ethnic group from harar to the benadir coast prior to abadirs arrival from arabia. The Harar people were arabized and the rest swallowed up by oromo, the sheekhal were somalized by irir samale nomads and the halaba who also claim descent from abadir were sidamaized after they settled in south west.

The Harla were the major ethnic group from harar to the benadir coast prior to abadirs arrival from arabia. The Harar people were arabized and the rest swallowed up by oromo, the sheekhal were somalized by irir samale nomads and the halaba who also claim descent from abadir were sidamaized after they settled in south west.
Benadir coast? Beenhawas!

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
My understanding of the Harla folks was they were 100 percent wiped out, can you imagine if Oromos started claiming Proto-Somali/Harari clan. Yall are already disappearing that would put salt on the injury :ohlord:

Young Popeye

Call me pops
And don't forget that the ruler who built the wall surrounding Harar was Marehan. :nvjpqts:

Nur was Mali who's ancestors had been harla but he didn't build the wall, the wall was constructed under the orders of imams widow because it would get raided by galas. Although nur was successful against habesha, his army was annihilated by the Oromo. Some hararis didn't like nur because he was a Somali so he chose his successor to be a Muslim habesha slave. Hararis had the new habesha emir killed in 6 months :stopit:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending