THE RISE OF AXMED IBRAHIM GUREEY

Iimaam Axmed Ibrahim Gureey is nowadays known by many names. In the Fatuux al-Xabasha he is given the laqab of al-Ghaazi or The Conqueror, an appropriate laqab for a book that is literally about his conquest of much of Ethiopia. The Christians of the Ethiopian highlands give him the epithet Gran or Left-Handed, which is a translation of his Somali naaneys of Gureey.

gurey3.jpg

Axmed was born the second son of the Garaad Ibrahim, Garaad of Hubat, a small principality that was part of the Sultanate of Adal (see the abtirsi of Garaad Ibrahim). His cousin Abuun Cadaadshe (see abtirsi) was Garaad of Karanle, and was briefly Sultan of Adal.

Axmed lived in a time of great uncertainty. The king of Adal, SuldaanMaxamed Caashar (see abtirsi), desired to live in peace after nearly a century of devastating warfare with Abyssinia, but Amir Maxfuuz of Harar was determined to make war with Abyssinia and constantly sent his soldiers to recapture territories lost to the Abyssinian kings. This led to war in 1516 between Adal and Abyssinia and Neegusaa Naagaast ‘Aanbaasa Saagaad Dawit (Leebnaa Deengeel) invaded and destroyed the armies of Amir Maxfuuz and Suldaan Maxamed. Amir Maxfuuz fought a suicidal rearguard action allowing the Suldaan to escape back to Adal. Portuguese warships attacked and savaged the virtually undefended town of Zeila.

The devastating loss had great political implications, as the Suldaan was murdered soon afterwards, and Adal descended into civil war. Three men claimed the throne; Amir Maxamed Abuubakar Maxfuuz (the grandson of Amir Maxfuuz and Amir of Harar), Garaad Abuun Cadaadshe, the Garaad of Karanle, and the “rightful” heir of SuldaanMaxamed Cashar, Abuubakar Suldaan Maxamed.

The first to seize the throne was Maxamed Abuubakar Maxfuuz, but he was defeated and killed by Garaad Abuun Cadaadshe, who then seized the throne for himself. Garaad Abuun Cadaadshe was himself defeated and killed by Abuubakar Suldaan Maxamed. The vengeful then-Iimaam Axmed Ibrahim avenged his cousin’s death and killed Abuubakar, but instead of continuing the cycle he decided instead to put Abuubakar’s brother Cumardiin Maxamed on the throne as puppet king. Iimaam Axmed Ibrahim was already married to Bati del-Wambara Maxfuuz, the daughter of the former Amir of Harar, so Iimaam Axmed Ibrahim managed to bring peace to the nation by uniting all three warring factions together under his leadership.

From @James Dahl : https://historyinthehorn.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/the-rise-of-axmed-ibrahim-garaad/

Hawiye claim Gurey too.

:ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh:

Wait till the Gadabursi see this, they WILL put their books down and bring out their toorays.
:gaasdrink:

Don't Mareexaan also claim the old man???
:farmajoyaab::shookgabre::noneck:

So what is the truth!???!
*Insert Opera Winfrey meme*
:mahubowtf::noneck:

Kezira

disneylanders
Karanle claim is most funniest out of all. Written by James Dahl a Somali that masquerades as a White man. Also this girl @embarassing always acts behaves as if she is a Somali nationalist but we always knew she was a real Moryaan Hu-tu . They always show their true colors at the end. Hawiye is mentioned separable in the book without any connection to Ahmed Ibrahim. That disproves of this silly baseless claim.

@Kezira what does me being a nationalist have to do with me contributing to the history section? Funny because you've never commented on any other post i've shared here.

You seem triggered lol, maybe you should take a break. Come back when you have something interesting to contribute.

Cityviews

The Prodigy
If you guys are interested into the Futuh Al Habash ( which is a fake colonial book and I can prove it) I will drop the proof for that this Friday.

There's no evidence of Imam Axmed being called gurey. The Somalis and others might've mixed up the names because there's this other guy called Axmed gurey who was Somali.

Another related post about the history;

I've long considered writing a historical fiction series.

First book: Amde Seyon's conquest of most of the Horn, and the desperate coalition to oppose him culminating in the Battle of Das where the last resistance to his rule is crushed.

Second book: The simmering rebellion against the Empire, begins to rise after the death of Amde Seyon and the enthronement of his son Newaya Krestos, who takes the throne name Sayfa Ared the Sword of Terror, who marches on Egypt and forces the Mameluke sultan to release the jailed Patriarch of Alexandria. Sayfa Ared supresses all the revolts against his rule by brutally suppressing them and imprisons all the heirs to his vassal kingdoms in his court. Book ends with the birth of Saadadiin and the death of Sayfa Ared at the imperial court.

Third book: The new emperor Dawit enters into a power struggle against Ifat culminating in Saadadiin rebelling against imperial rule. Everyone expects Ifat to be crushed but surprizingly Saadadiin defeats the imperial army and kills Emperor Dawit. Dawit's son and heir Tewodros takes the throne as Walda Anbasa the Son of the Lion but is killed less than a year later leading another army against Saadadiin. This frees up the throne for Dawit's younger son Yeshaq, who is a military genius. Despite most of the army having been destroyed and Adal now leading a huge army of Muslim rebels from across the empire, Yeshaq wins several lopsided battles and marches on Zeila, wiping out Saadadiin's whole army and the Ifat royal family flees to Yemen.

Fourth Book: Yeshaq reconquers the empire of his great-grandfather and brings in Egyptian military advisors, and tries to establish an anti-Muslim alliance with the kingdom of Aragon. Meanwhile in Yemen the sons of Saadadiin prepare to retake their homeland, making landfall in their homeland. One after another Yeshaq kills them in battle, first Sabraddiin then Mansur, and finally crushed the forces of Jamaluddiin but he was mortally wounded in the battle with Jamaluddiin and died. With Yeshaq dead, the last son of Saadadiin, Ahmedudiin turns the tide and defeats the Empire in many important battles and drove them out of the Ahmar Mountains and captured Bale. Ahmedudiin invades Dawaro but is killed by Emperor Zara Yacqob. Exhausted from war, a de-facto armistice takes hold.

Fifth Book: Fifty years have passed and the uneasy peace is broken with Mahfuz invading Dawaro, leading to the assassination of Sultan Mohamed and civil war in Adal. The rise and fall of many sultans leads to the rise of Ahmed Gurey, who wins the civil war and leads an invasion of the Empire.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...ife-of-ahmed-gurrey.45583/page-2#post-1565762

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
Another related post about the history;

I've long considered writing a historical fiction series.

First book: Amde Seyon's conquest of most of the Horn, and the desperate coalition to oppose him culminating in the Battle of Das where the last resistance to his rule is crushed.

Second book: The simmering rebellion against the Empire, begins to rise after the death of Amde Seyon and the enthronement of his son Newaya Krestos, who takes the throne name Sayfa Ared the Sword of Terror, who marches on Egypt and forces the Mameluke sultan to release the jailed Patriarch of Alexandria. Sayfa Ared supresses all the revolts against his rule by brutally suppressing them and imprisons all the heirs to his vassal kingdoms in his court. Book ends with the birth of Saadadiin and the death of Sayfa Ared at the imperial court.

Third book: The new emperor Dawit enters into a power struggle against Ifat culminating in Saadadiin rebelling against imperial rule. Everyone expects Ifat to be crushed but surprizingly Saadadiin defeats the imperial army and kills Emperor Dawit. Dawit's son and heir Tewodros takes the throne as Walda Anbasa the Son of the Lion but is killed less than a year later leading another army against Saadadiin. This frees up the throne for Dawit's younger son Yeshaq, who is a military genius. Despite most of the army having been destroyed and Adal now leading a huge army of Muslim rebels from across the empire, Yeshaq wins several lopsided battles and marches on Zeila, wiping out Saadadiin's whole army and the Ifat royal family flees to Yemen.

Fourth Book: Yeshaq reconquers the empire of his great-grandfather and brings in Egyptian military advisors, and tries to establish an anti-Muslim alliance with the kingdom of Aragon. Meanwhile in Yemen the sons of Saadadiin prepare to retake their homeland, making landfall in their homeland. One after another Yeshaq kills them in battle, first Sabraddiin then Mansur, and finally crushed the forces of Jamaluddiin but he was mortally wounded in the battle with Jamaluddiin and died. With Yeshaq dead, the last son of Saadadiin, Ahmedudiin turns the tide and defeats the Empire in many important battles and drove them out of the Ahmar Mountains and captured Bale. Ahmedudiin invades Dawaro but is killed by Emperor Zara Yacqob. Exhausted from war, a de-facto armistice takes hold.

Fifth Book: Fifty years have passed and the uneasy peace is broken with Mahfuz invading Dawaro, leading to the assassination of Sultan Mohamed and civil war in Adal. The rise and fall of many sultans leads to the rise of Ahmed Gurey, who wins the civil war and leads an invasion of the Empire.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...ife-of-ahmed-gurrey.45583/page-2#post-1565762
I’ve always imagined a tv show based on him. Lavish costumes and 8 seasons. A historical drama that captivates audiences!

Sophisticate

Staff Member
Who cares who claims gurey. At the end of the day, reer Zeila micro-culture, is retained by those from the North west. :drakekidding:Keep the cambulo and we'll stick with canbabuur my friend.

VIP
Yall need to stop this! The man wasn't somali whatsoever and somalis were only foot soldiers led by argobas/harraris or other semetic speaking extinct groups

How could he be Karanle when there arent even 1000 karanle men alive today. Karanle dont exist they are so small.

He was Marexaan is the most reasonable and believable.

Young Popeye

Call me pops
Do you see how Harar is a dot on the map today but still is a government? Its because thats the only thing left of it, the rest of Harar was taken over by Somali and Oromo. Harardhere in Galmudug was a Harari stronghold before Hawiye raided it, the same with Mogadishu. I will post about the Hawiye-Harari wars when i got time.

Cityviews

The Prodigy
Do you see how Harar is a dot on the map today but still is a government? Its because thats the only thing left of it, the rest of Harar was taken over by Somali and Oromo. Harardhere in Galmudug was a Harari stronghold before Hawiye raided it, the same with Mogadishu. I will post about the Hawiye-Harari wars when i got time.

Harar doesn't exist you were always just West Saylac :trumpsmirk:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

How many times do I have to debunk you? Somalis have always lived in the Hararghe lighlands. Have you studied about the Jarso (Dir) clan establishing the Dawaro Sultanate in the 10th century? It's not far from Harar.

First of all, it's spelt Xarardheere, not Harardheere. It's pronounced as X, not H.

Xarardhere's name comes from tall trees called "Xarar", the name means "The place with the tall Xarar trees".

That town was established during the Ajuran period. Go learn its history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harardhere#History

Harari people were Highlanders. They've never lived on the coast or lowlands before. You need to stop your inferiority complex and nonsensical revisionism. If you have proof, please bring a source instead of spewing qashin.

You claiming Mogadishu too? I feel like you're a troll. :gucciwhat:

Last edited:

Cityviews

The Prodigy
How many times do I have to debunk you? Somalis have always lived in the Hararghe lighlands. Have you studied about the Jarso (Dir) clan establishing the Dawaro Sultanate in the 10th century? It's not far from Harar.

First of all, it's spelt Xarardheere, not Harardheere. It's pronounced as X, not H.

Xarardhere's name comes from tall trees called "Xarar", the name means "The place with the tall Xarar trees".

That town was established during the Ajuran period. Go learn its history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harardhere#History

Harari people were Highlanders. They've never lived on the coast or lowlands. You need to stop your inferiority complex.
:camby:

He is not even a Harari it is some troll lol, Its someone doing anti somali propaganda.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
There's no evidence of Imam Axmed being called gurey. The Somalis and others might've mixed up the names because there's this other guy called Axmed gurey who was Somali.

I believe you're talking about this? The Somali one is apparently Habar Magaadle. :obama:

d2LIuRWIQg_Xhm_7YbpesQ.png

Last edited:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Yall need to stop this! The man wasn't somali whatsoever and somalis were only foot soldiers led by argobas/harraris or other semetic speaking extinct groups

This doesn't sound like you. The Walashma Dynasty was a Somali dynasty that ruled both Ifat & Adal Sultanates. The dynasty claimed the origins of Sheikh Yusuf al-kowneyn (Aw Barkhaadle). A famous Somali scholar from Zeila.

8As4Kv7.png

XbEBcBLzStucZ5_rywf12g.png

Also, Argobba were part of the Shewa Sultanate and were conquered by Ifat Sultanate which was a Somali Sultanate.

KnsdSPf.png

Ifat Sultanate conquered Shewa Sultanate and ruled Shewa. :banderas:

FrHvNkl.png

Argobba were unheard of after the fall of Ifat Sultanate. Harari and Afars were actually ruled by northern Somalis during the Adal period.

Trending

Latest posts