The Haratins

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
Haratin also referred to as Haratine, Harratin or Hartani, are a group of closely related North African peoples who are indigenous to northwestern regions of Sahara, especially in the Maghreb.[1][2] They are particularly found in modern Mauritania (where they form a plurality), Morocco, Western Sahara, and Algeria. In Tunisia and Libya they are referred to as Chouachin, Chouachine, or Chouchan.

The Haratin are genetically distinct from Sub-Saharan Africans[3][4][5] and speak Maghrebi Arabic dialects as well as various Berber languages.[1]

They form the single largest defined ethnolinguistic group in Mauritania where they account for 40% of the population (~1.5 million).[6] They have been called a socially distinct class of workers,[1][7] or a caste that emerged from a legacy of slavery in Africa under the Arabs and the Berbers.[2][8][9]

@Apollo @Dawalhabaad get in here, redpill me on the Haratin genetics. Who do they cluster closest to? How does their genetic profile breakdown look like?

Apollo

VIP
how do they compare to Toubou? More Eurasian or less?

They aren't related to the Toubou. The Toubou are basically from Northern Sudan mostly and then from there migrated into Northern Chad and Southern Libya. They seem to be wanderers who settled in the Sahara on their own.

The Haratins to me seem more like a recent imported group. In some studies I have seen them carry clusters from coastal West Africans (doesn't make much sense). I think their origins are substantially in the slave trade. I don't think they are native to the Sahara.

The Fulani seem to have more of a Green Sahara period origin vs the Haratins.

Trending