The Great Southern River Basin

Jubba and Shabelle are the two well known lifelines of the South that are severely underutilised, but did you know there was a third.

The Lag Dera joins the Jubba and Shabelle rivers, giving it a basin of around 750,000 km2.
somalia-rivers.jpg

The Lag Dera has the potential for a large permanent river and the other two have the potential for large capacities if we work very hard to change the climate of the region.

I mean the potential to house hundreds of millions sustainably and feed many more.

TRUE Leadership is needed to pull off a feat this great, never done ever in history I believe.

JRB.jpg
ShRB.jpg

As you can see this place is severally underutilised. I would transform the majority of the shurbland into forests and grasslands, strategically placed to mimic natural river basins. So that the water flow of the rivers increases and the climate changes (from having wet and dry seasons to year long mild weather). Farms will slowly swap out the grasslands as the people switch from agropastoralism to agriculture.

The lands north of the Great Southern River Basins also have the potential of creating (if my theories are right then reviving) rivers to their full potential. A possible major artery would be the Nugal Valley if the Eyl River is made a large permanent river. Ships would flow from Burao to Eyl, giving life to the mostly barren region. Maybe giving the potential of dozens of millions with this one river alone.

If we do similar smaller projects in the region that will possible keep the North relevant in the future. Either way the South will be the heartlands of the country and the once equal distribution of people changes. It will interesting seeing how things unfold with such a productive southern regions dwarf the North.

Let's not forget the post apocalyptic environmental shit show of central Somalia. O boy, I thought the coast cities built on old river basins on the gulf was bad. The amount of dried rivers and lake beds people have built large towns on is possibly beyond help. Not only is the region home to clans that wouldn't be so keen on half their cities being relocated but the region will definitely become aggressive seeing they're left out of the prosperity south and north. Idk if Galmudug will attempt mass migrations into the south (1991 on steroids) but I doubt they'll accept their reduced influence and importance.

I would definitely relocate their cities, some with hundreds of thousands of people, to create new permanent rivers but major lakes which in the long term will benefit the people although in the short term they will definitely not like it.

I'd love to go on but I'll leave the other areas for future threads.

The Great Southern River Basin will be our Mississippi. Without it I see the deep entire of the country being very underdeveloped due to a lack of access to the ocean but thanks to the expansions good will be able to be transported on large ships from Galbeed.

However this great dream not only requires us to retake the somali territories but take just a bit more to protect our water and national security. We do have this opportunity if we severely beat Ethiopia and Kenya at the right time. Its necessary. We have been blessed with possibly complete geopolitical independence from any of our neighbours. Whilst the Nile is shared by so many countries we might have something better all for ourselves. With a mountain in the west to protect us from migrants and invasions, the Gulf of Aden to the North, the Indian Ocean to the East and the Tana River to the South, we are isolated.

Not only will trade be enclosed within the basin but we have immense possibilities for development and exclusive population growth for our people. Imagine a somali population of 300 million people, which would be equal to the rest of East Africa combine, with no water insecurity, 1st World level development, large manufacturing industry and all without any neighbours who can chip in or pressure it.

Inshallah this happens. I can already imagine it. Hopefully we take this opportunity to become a world power. The expansion of the Somali people to retake the land of the southern cushites all for ourselves btw
Why would I share it with people who've been our enemies when I could increase our land area by to over 4 million square km. That's as if we added the contiguous United States into Somaliweyne.

The entire somali plate is our birthright. From Djibouti to Madagascar we should create a great civilisation. The sea here shall be our Mediterranean.
Screenshot_20190805-002015_Maps.jpg

Would you want all this for our people alone? Or would you ruin the lives of your children's children so you can share it with Ethiopians? I would very much like this to be exclusively Somali. We have barely 30 million people today. Divided and conquered. Imagine 1 billion of us united. We wouldn't just be the superpower of Africa or the Indian ocean but the world.

As Muslims we should strive to free Muslim lands. You think we wouldn't be incharge if we made the middle east, north Africa and the rest of the ummah mostly around the Indian ocean free. The Caliph would have to be a Somali. I would run all these places as a confederation, letting them rule themselves but give bayah to us. Why not, we are the middle man between the Muslims of East and west of us are we not? We are the richest are we not? We have the biggest population and military do we not?

A new golden age for Islam with Somaliweyn 2.0 running the world.

The lands north of the Great Southern River Basins also have the potential of creating (if my theories are right then reviving) rivers to their full potential. A possible major artery would be the Nugal Valley if the Eyl River is made a large permanent river. Ships would flow from Burao to Eyl, giving life to the mostly barren region. Maybe giving the potential of dozens of millions with this one river alone.

If we do similar smaller projects in the region that will possible keep the North relevant in the future. Either way the South will be the heartlands of the country and the once equal distribution of people changes. It will interesting seeing how things unfold with such a productive southern regions dwarf the North.

Let's not forget the post apocalyptic environmental shit show of central Somalia. O boy, I thought the coast cities built on old river basins on the gulf was bad. The amount of dried rivers and lake beds people have built large towns on is possibly beyond help. Not only is the region home to clans that wouldn't be so keen on half their cities being relocated but the region will definitely become aggressive seeing they're left out of the prosperity south and north. Idk if Galmudug will attempt mass migrations into the south (1991 on steroids) but I doubt they'll accept their reduced influence and importance.

I would definitely relocate their cities, some with hundreds of thousands of people, to create new permanent rivers but major lakes which in the long term will benefit the people although in the short term they will definitely not like it.

Great topic!

How would we go about creating Eyl River for instance?

Great topic!

How would we go about creating Eyl River for instance?
The problem with the Eyl River is the lack of water. It's pretty much seasonal and completely dependent on rains. To make it permanent you need another method of getting the water to flow continuously.

A forest. Just think about transportation for a second. A large tree in the amazon releases 1000 litres of water every day. When you have hundreds of millions or even billions of this, you have a river in the sky. This living pump moves water countercurrent to the river flow.

So if you start close to the coast and work your way back, you can easily create a large navigable river from Burao to Eyl. Not only would this exponential increase trade in the North's interior but possibly allow peace to occur between somaliland and puntland. They would be dependent on eachother. Somaliland could dam the water but Puntland can stop it from trading. Puntland could block trade for somaliland but then somaliland could dam the river. They would be dependent on one another and have to become friendly.

Stuff like this would unify the country permanently. I realised that as little as 2 canals could increase the Great Southern River to include Galgaduud and Mudug. Making the river basin cover the entire country except the mountains in the North.

The problem with the Eyl River is the lack of water. It's pretty much seasonal and completely dependent on rains. To make it permanent you need another method of getting the water to flow continuously.

A forest. Just think about transportation for a second. A large tree in the amazon releases 1000 litres of water every day. When you have hundreds of millions or even billions of this, you have a river in the sky. This living pump moves water countercurrent to the river flow.

So if you start close to the coast and work your way back, you can easily create a large navigable river from Burao to Eyl. Not only would this exponential increase trade in the North's interior but possibly allow peace to occur between somaliland and puntland. They would be dependent on eachother. Somaliland could dam the water but Puntland can stop it from trading. Puntland could block trade for somaliland but then somaliland could dam the river. They would be dependent on one another and have to become friendly.

Stuff like this would unify the country permanently. I realised that as little as 2 canals could increase the Great Southern River to include Galgaduud and Mudug. Making the river basin cover the entire country except the mountains in the North.

So, we need to plant lots of trees around these areas?

If yes, what kind of trees are we talking about?

I'm actually intrigued and want to make this happen.

So, we need to plant lots of trees around these areas?

If yes, what kind of trees are we talking about?

I'm actually intrigued and want to make this happen.
There are dozens of species of trees in Somalia. Possibly use the ones common in the Al Madow and similar mountains.

Ethiopia planted a few hundred million in one day. So planting all the trees is possible. The problem is the government and the people. Would they understand? Would they be willing to abandon entire cities which would be in the way of the river?

I highly doubt it.

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
There are dozens of species of trees in Somalia. Possibly use the ones common in the Al Madow and similar mountains.

Ethiopia planted a few hundred million in one day. So planting all the trees is possible. The problem is the government and the people. Would they understand? Would they be willing to abandon entire cities which would be in the way of the river?

I highly doubt it.

I might think that the people will accept it, the city people are all settled for economical gains i guess. The only permanent city is xamar for now. If you build shiny modern cities close to the old cities.

Trending