The Finno-Ugric people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
I find these people fascinating, unique-looking and with a distinctive culture in Europe.
The Finno-ugric are not just homogenous. They speak many languages such as the Khanty, Mansi, Hungarians, Maris, Mordvins, Sami, Estonians, Karelians, Finns, Udmurts,and Komis.
800px-lenguas_finougrias.png

And some pictures :
3norwsamipresidents.jpg
- Sami people
800px-charles_simonyi.jpg
- Hungarian
erzya_women.jpg
-Mordvin women
kiira_korpi_nebelhorn_trophy_2009_podium-2.jpg
-A finnish girl (damn that cute girl :banderas:)
250px-andres_nuiamacc88e.jpg
-Estonian
300px-karjalan_mummot.jpg
-Karelian women
khanty_family.jpg
-Khanty family

udmurt_people_red.jpg
-Udmurts people

And i found many other interessing stuff about these people. They are like the Amerindians of Europe but they are not native to Europe most of them:ooh: But their culture is so different than the South and West Europeans:damnmusic:

Apollo

VIP
Finns & Estonians carry more European hunter-gather ancestry than most Europeans. Northeastern Europe was the last European forager stronghold.

In addition, the Finns and Estonians have some minor West Siberian admixture. However, they are largely European in origin.

Hungarians are more or less ethnically identical to Austrians/Romanians. They underwent a language shift triggered by an elite takeover without ethnic replacement.

Moreover, Uralic is related to Indo-European.

Indo-Uralic is a proposed language family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Uralic_languages

@James Dahl @Grant

We have the Sami people who are indigenous to the northernmost part like Alta, and Tromsø.

Most of the Samis are assimilated into the Norwegian culture and live in cities, but you will find about 10% who still get their livelihoods from semi-nomadic reindeer herding.

It was normal for them to migrate over the borders (Sweden, Finland) through the seasons for good grazing. Modern border laws threatened this ancient lifestyle, so the countries agreed and made few laws that the Sami people could migrate regardless.

The Finno-Ugrian languages originate in the east, and there was an ancient migration of the ancestors of Suomi and Saami to Scandinavia and mixed with the existing precursor people. Saami are less mixed than Suomi or Finns.

The precursor people (my ancestors) have no name for me to give them, they are that lost to history. Not even legends survive. They were a simple stone age folk who were conquered by the ancestors of the Germanic peoples about 5000 years ago. As with many lost people, the only evidence they ever existed is their garbage, from which they are dubbed the "funnelbeaker culture"

The only legend that may exist is the ancient Norse legend of the war between the Æsir (the Indo-European gods) and the Vanir, another pantheon that may represent the "old gods" of my ancestors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æsir–Vanir_War

According to the legend, the war resulted in a truce where the two sides exchanged hostages and the Vanir agreed to join the Æsir. This may be an allegorical description of the merger of the two peoples (though an unequal merger where the Germanic absorbed the pre-Germanic culture) into the "Corded Ware" culture.

The language spoken is lost but may partially exist as a substrate underneath Germanic. The Indo-Europeans were nomads from Asia and had no nautical terminology, so all the seafaring words there is evidence they are loanwords from the lost language.

People have tried and failed to identify this language, it's definitely not related to Basque or any other known pre-Indo-European language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_substrate_hypothesis

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
The only legend that may exist is the ancient Norse legend of the war between the Æsir (the Indo-European gods) and the Vanir, another pantheon that may represent the "old gods" of my ancestors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æsir–Vanir_War

According to the legend, the war resulted in a truce where the two sides exchanged hostages and the Vanir agreed to join the Æsir. This may be an allegorical description of the merger of the two peoples (though an unequal merger where the Germanic absorbed the pre-Germanic culture) into the "Corded Ware" culture.

The language spoken is lost but may partially exist as a substrate underneath Germanic. The Indo-Europeans were nomads from Asia and had no nautical terminology, so all the seafaring words there is evidence they are loanwords from the lost language.

People have tried and failed to identify this language, it's definitely not related to Basque or any other known pre-Indo-European language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_substrate_hypothesis

Very interessing stuff.
Are you from the North of Europe? It's quite interessing, i'm used to the Latin World and i'm learning more about the North.

Very interessing stuff.
Are you from the North of Europe? It's quite interessing, i'm used to the Latin World and i'm learning more about the North.

My great-great-grandfather immigrated to America in 1883, he was from Jutland in Denmark.
The north has a different history from the south, the great seperation between southern Europe and northern Europe was the Rhine and the Danube, the two rivers form a border divide seperating northern from southern Europe.

Rhine-Main-Danube.jpg

The two worlds were merged after the fall of the Roman Empire when Germanic peoples invaded and conquered the western half of the Roman Empire and Slavic people invaded and conquered most of the eastern half.

Prior to Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul and the Roman conquest of Spain, there used to be a second seperation between the Greek and Roman world of Italy, the Balkans and Greece, and the Gallic world beyond the Alps.
350px-Alps_regions.png

South of the Alps lived Romans (and before them Etruscans) and east of the Alps lived the Illyrians who lived north of the Greeks and Thracians.

North and West of the Alps were the Gauls.

Hallstatt_LaTene.png

The empty part of Spain and France where there aren't Gauls is the area that was inhabited by several nations of pre-Indo-European civilization which managed to avoid conquest in the invasions. They are possibly distantly related to my ancestors.

Ethnographic_Iberia_200_BCE.PNG

The Romans conquered all of these peoples and their language and culture disappeared and was absorbed into Roman culture.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
Prior to Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul and the Roman conquest of Spain, there used to be a second seperation between the Greek and Roman world of Italy, the Balkans and Greece, and the Gallic world beyond the Alps.
350px-Alps_regions.png

South of the Alps lived Romans (and before them Etruscans) and east of the Alps lived the Illyrians who lived north of the Greeks and Thracians.

North and West of the Alps were the Gauls.

Hallstatt_LaTene.png

The empty part of Spain and France where there aren't Gauls is the area that was inhabited by several nations of pre-Indo-European civilization which managed to avoid conquest in the invasions. They are possibly distantly related to my ancestors.

Ethnographic_Iberia_200_BCE.PNG

The Romans conquered all of these peoples and their language and culture disappeared and was absorbed into Roman culture.

Fascinating! I'm learning about the Roman civilisation but i'm quite an ignorant when it comes to the North. I will learn more of it!
Thanks !

I'll teach you a bit about them :)

The Germans, Gauls, Balts and Slavs all originate in what is now Russia, and migrated in successive waves of conquest into Europe about 5000 years ago.

This map lists the Bastarnae as Germanic but that identification is contested, no one really knows who the Bastarnae were. Some say they were Germanic, others Celtic, others Scythian.

3687.jpg

The Germanic tribes raided and warred often with their neighbours and raided the Roman Empire many times.

Everything changed because of the invasion of the Huns. The Huns were a nomadic steppe people who had been defeated by other groups in China and had migrated west. They easily defeated dozens of nations and established a gigantic empire around the year 300. They began invading Germanic tribes and forced them to flee. The greatest Germanic people, the Goths, were defeated by the Huns which split their nation. One group left and became refugees in the Roman Empire and these became known as the western Goths or Visigoths. Those who remained under Hunnic rule were the eastern or Ostrogoths.

25.jpg

After a large number of Germanic tribes were conquered around 375, a large group of them decided to try and break through into the Roman Empire to escape led by the king of the Goths, Radagasius. This failed and Radagasius was killed, but this army regrouped and moved west and succeeded in defeating a Frankish mercenary army and entered Rome under their new king the Vandal king Godigisil, who died in the battle but his people managed to cross and fled to Spain and eventually Tunisia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_of_the_Rhine

The Hun Empire stretched all the way to the border with China. The Huns eventually invaded the Roman Empire too

2880px-Attila_in_Gaul_451CE.svg.png

The Germanic tribes and the Romans joined forces to fight the Huns and managed to stop the invasion at the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Catalaunian_Plains

Atilla withdrew his invasion and later died having sex with a woman he'd captured earlier. His empire fell apart in civil war like steppe empires often do and the Germanic tribes rebelled and regained their independence. The Huns were a big contributor to the Slavic expansion as the slavic tribes were loyal to the Huns so they colonized areas as the Huns expanded.

The_origin_and_dispersion_of_Slavs_in_the_5-10th_centuries.png

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
I'll teach you a bit about them :)

The Germans, Gauls, Balts and Slavs all originate in what is now Russia, and migrated in successive waves of conquest into Europe about 5000 years ago.

This map lists the Bastarnae as Germanic but that identification is contested, no one really knows who the Bastarnae were. Some say they were Germanic, others Celtic, others Scythian.

3687.jpg

The Germanic tribes raided and warred often with their neighbours and raided the Roman Empire many times.

Everything changed because of the invasion of the Huns. The Huns were a nomadic steppe people who had been defeated by other groups in China and had migrated west. They easily defeated dozens of nations and established a gigantic empire around the year 300. They began invading Germanic tribes and forced them to flee. The greatest Germanic people, the Goths, were defeated by the Huns which split their nation. One group left and became refugees in the Roman Empire and these became known as the western Goths or Visigoths. Those who remained under Hunnic rule were the eastern or Ostrogoths.

25.jpg

After a large number of Germanic tribes were conquered around 375, a large group of them decided to try and break through into the Roman Empire to escape led by the king of the Goths, Radagasius. This failed and Radagasius was killed, but this army regrouped and moved west and succeeded in defeating a Frankish mercenary army and entered Rome under their new king the Vandal king Godigisil, who died in the battle but his people managed to cross and fled to Spain and eventually Tunisia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_of_the_Rhine

The Hun Empire stretched all the way to the border with China. The Huns eventually invaded the Roman Empire too

2880px-Attila_in_Gaul_451CE.svg.png

The Germanic tribes and the Romans joined forces to fight the Huns and managed to stop the invasion at the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Catalaunian_Plains

Atilla withdrew his invasion and later died having sex with a woman he'd captured earlier. His empire fell apart in civil war like steppe empires often do and the Germanic tribes rebelled and regained their independence. The Huns were a big contributor to the Slavic expansion as the slavic tribes were loyal to the Huns so they colonized areas as the Huns expanded.

The_origin_and_dispersion_of_Slavs_in_the_5-10th_centuries.png

Ah nice! It's great to learn this! I'm studying History in my uni and we haven't talked about the this. It's interessing, Nordic populations are interessing tbh i'm tired with the Latin World!
Thanks btw

No problem, history for this period is incredibly Roman centric and ignores a lot of other stuff that was going on. Often historical narratives will begin with when the Romans get involved in something and ignore everything that happened before.

I should note that the Huns were never decisively defeated and Atilla actually invaded Italy after Gaul and the Roman Empire ended up having to pay tribute to Atilla. The Huns were overwhelmingly powerful.

After Atilla died his empire broke up the German subjects all rebelled and his three sons all fought over who would rule, Ellac, Dengizich and Ernak. Eventually Ernak defeated his brothers in 469 but by then the Huns had lost all their subject peoples and withdrew back into the steppes and were themselves subjugated by the next steppe empire coming out of the east, the Avars.

They eventually joined the Bulgar Khanate when they broke away from the Avars and the Bulgar Khans are descended from Atilla.

Two tribes the Sali and the Ripuari who were related and who the Romans called the Franci (after their signature weapon the throwing axe, the Francisca) were organized by the Romans into frontier guards and eventually ended up taking over Gaul after the collapse of Roman rule. This formed the basis of France.

Another group of related tribes who are known by their signature weapon, a scimitar-like knife known as the Saex were known as "Saxons" by the Romans. One tribe from Holstein known as the Angli were hired to defend Britain from Pictish raids and ended up taking over there after the collapse of Roman rule and this is the basis of England.

There was one emperor who made a huge effort to reconquer the Roman Empire, Justinian I. He very nearly succeeded, he reconquered all of Italy from the Ostrogoths, Roman North Africa from the Vandals and southern Spain from the Visigoths, and fought off a Frankish invasion of Italy in 554.

Justinian555AD.png

After Justinian died this reconquest stopped and reversed. The Lombards invaded Italy and conquered the northern half. The Islamic Caliphate established itself and conquered Egypt, Syria, North Africa and Spain from the Romans in the 7th century. Carl the Great (Charlemagne) established Frankish hegemony and the centre of European power slowly moved from Constantinople to Paris.

2880px-Frankish_Empire_481_to_814-en.svg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts